New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Proposed New Forum Philosophy

Started by Underwater, June 20, 2006, 09:43:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Underwater

Assume Good Faith.

This philosophy is used on wikipedia, as well as other sites where the members share a common goal.  It helps keep discussions on track, and constructive.

There are many ways to interpret a post, and the reader should always assume the poster had the best possible intentions in mind.  We are all here because we share a common interest. 

Everyone has some good advice to give, and everyone needs advice from others at some point.

For example, if someone posts bad advice, assume they did so with the best intentions.  Maybe they read the question wrong, or maybe they're tired.  Maybe you misunderstood their advice.  Even if the poster is completely and inexcusably wrong, at least they took the time to respond, and tried to be helpful.

There are polite ways to post your opinion, and tact is especially useful if you are contradicting a previous post.

Always remember, whoever posts takes time out of their day to share their experience, even if you disagree with it.

The flip side is to always post in good faith.  Don't post anything hurtful, insulting, or emotionally charged.  If something ticked you off, wait until you are cooled off before you post.  If you decide to go on a rant, make sure you have a clear point and keep it constructive.  Try to find a solution to a problem, not just rant about it.  Offer proposed solutions, or ask for other people to propose them.

This way, it keeps the forum friendly and helpful.

artw

I agree with this,  and honestly I didn't think this forum was suffering.   I used to visit a bunch of diving forums,  and for the last month or so I have been avoiding it for the reasons stated above, so now I am only active on OVAS exclusively.

Underwater

I don't think the forum is suffering at all either.  In fact, OVAS is my most regular forum because it's so friendly.

I think it's just a good thing to keep in the back of your mind while posting.

FishPassion

OVAS has and still is my first forum and most times only forum I visit early mornings.I enjoy browsing this site with my morning coffee and cigarette yaya Im a smoker. I truly hope this site remains as friendly and informative as it always has been ppl here seem to try and help each other and the bashing seems to be limited. The bashing on some other sites turns me right off, to the point that I just browse the classifieds and leave. In the few years that I have been a member of OVAS it has really grown especially in the saltwater area and I forsee a tremendous growth for the future.
Hats off to the executive members that work hard and keep this site so well maintained...
Klaus
80 corner diamond
110 short
40 cube