New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Tap water or remineralize?

Started by Plants245, June 14, 2020, 09:31:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plants245

Hi everyone,

Does anyone remineralize our tap water with potassium bicarbonate or are we using straight tap water?

I currently do remineralize it a bit to bring our KH up to about 2.5 ish dkh (it is for a high tech planted tank). But I think that I don't actually I need to.

Our water fits quoted parameters as being comfortable - and our water is soft; but I was wondering what we in the Ottawa area are actually doing.

Also, in that event, anyone dosing calcium and magnesium (or a form of GH booster) if JUST using straight tap water?

Thanks!

Black_Rose

I use Seachem Equilibrium in some of my tanks (when I remember) to harden the water for my live bearers.

I don't bother with the other tanks as the other fish don't seem to mind the soft water.

adamarchibald

I simply use tap water in my high tech planted aquarium.  The KH and GH creep up a bit over the week due to residual elements in the daily fertilizers so each week before the water change i finish around 6dKH and 7dGH.   I believe my water is coming out around 4dKH from the tap.  If i was less lazy, and used RO water for water changes i would obviously remineralize :)

Plants245

Quote from: Black_Rose on June 14, 2020, 08:21:48 PM
I use Seachem Equilibrium in some of my tanks (when I remember) to harden the water for my live bearers.

I don't bother with the other tanks as the other fish don't seem to mind the soft water.

Thanks for the info! So you are not modifying the KH and everything functions well!

Plants245

Quote from: adamarchibald on June 15, 2020, 10:45:20 AM
I simply use tap water in my high tech planted aquarium.  The KH and GH creep up a bit over the week due to residual elements in the daily fertilizers so each week before the water change i finish around 6dKH and 7dGH.   I believe my water is coming out around 4dKH from the tap.  If i was less lazy, and used RO water for water changes i would obviously remineralize :)

Thanks! I wonder how you are getting 4dKH from the tap -- mine is around 1 dKH ... also, what are you dosing that pushes your KH up so many degrees? Have carbonate based stones in there?

adamarchibald

Quote from: Plants245 on June 15, 2020, 08:13:24 PM
Thanks! I wonder how you are getting 4dKH from the tap -- mine is around 1 dKH ... also, what are you dosing that pushes your KH up so many degrees? Have carbonate based stones in there?

The city has several water processing plants, so my source water maybe different.  I'm located right downtown so my water likely comes form the processing plant in LeBreton flats.  As for the increase over the week, could definitely be getting some from the hard scape, but unlikely that much.  The ferts I mix up employ some MgSO4.7H2O which will of course add magnesium however there is some dKH that gets in there too.   I did relook at my readings that i have logged and i think i may have over stated how much the dKH rises, it is likely only going up about 1dKH

Plants245

Quote from: adamarchibald on June 18, 2020, 12:01:52 PM
The city has several water processing plants, so my source water maybe different.  I'm located right downtown so my water likely comes form the processing plant in LeBreton flats.  As for the increase over the week, could definitely be getting some from the hard scape, but unlikely that much.  The ferts I mix up employ some MgSO4.7H2O which will of course add magnesium however there is some dKH that gets in there too.   I did relook at my readings that i have logged and i think i may have over stated how much the dKH rises, it is likely only going up about 1dKH

Thanks! I am in the west end - do you know which water I am getting?