New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Anyone with experience in Metal Racks.

Started by rivermuse, August 06, 2020, 07:54:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rivermuse

Costco has this metal rack for sale. 48 " x 18 " x 72 " $80 + tax.

I want something to house three 5 gallon aquariums and one 10 gallon aquarium.

Here is the link to that product specs:
https://www.costcobusinesscentre.ca/gorilla-rack-heavy-duty-storage-rack.product.100375281.html
It has powder coated finish, which I think is moisture resistant.

There was one assembled piece, it was wobbly when I shook it but then it was empty. I think the weight of aquariums will add to the stability.

Are there any precautions and thoughts anybody like to share ?

Thanks

Filet_O_Fish

I use the industrial ones. I never trusted the smaller ones as the joints connecting the rack to the post look very fragile. The 1000 pound per shelf rating is very suspect and is rated for "static" weight only. If you do get the $80 one I suggest that you secure at least one post, preferably two, to a stud in a wall with a few big bolts to prevent movement.

Gorilla Rack 5-Tier Industrial Rack
https://www.costcobusinesscentre.ca/gorilla-rack-5-tier-industrial-rack.product.100378320.html

It has a drill hole for placing bolts for extra support and helps prevent joint movement. I cut out melamine and place it over the metal rack so I get a flat surface. It can be painted black for better aesthetic.
The first time I got shrimp my wife asked "How big do they get and can you eat them?"

matttimms49

This topic is super interesting to me as I was also just looking into a rack system and looking for options.

@rivermuse I'm not sure on that Costco one, if you said it felt wobbly without anything on it, It wouldn't put a lot of trust in me to buy it. But as you are only putting a few small volume tanks on it, it so it may do the job.
As @filet_o_fish mentions you secure it to a wall stud for example.

You also may want to find a rack where you can change the height of the shelves. This is useful so you can customise the work space above a tank, for example.

I've been looking at the Husky stands at home depot - https://www.homedepot.ca/product/husky-1000-series-39-inch-w-x-72-inch-h-x-18-5-inch-d-steel-4-shelf-customizable-shelving-unit-in-black/1001115437

lucius

Here's a recent video I came across.  It seems as the heavy duty racks can bow if not installed properly but for the most part they work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ipABc7HHFU

matttimms49

awesome, thanks for the link.

I really like how he was his tanks set up.

rivermuse

Thanks for the comments. Fillet: I live in an apartment and the industrial sized one is bit too bulky for my living room. The location I was thinking of has a concrete wall.. so may be I have find another spot.

Matt: i like the link you shared, it has the base support but since it is a "mesh" I might have to put some ply wood? I thought a ready made rack will solve my problems easy, it seems like i will still be cutting and painting things :)
You are right I just have very light tanks, 10 G is the heaviest.

matttimms49

yes i think that you would have to add a plywood shelf to put the tanks on.

rivermuse

Plywood might need to be sanded and treated with paint to make it waterproof?
I saw a youtube video where Flooring sheets were being used. They are supposed to e waterproof but are very thin.

Filet_O_Fish

I got melamine at home depot. Home Depot will cut it to size for you, usually for free as its only a few cuts off a 4' by 8'. The top is already water resistant and you can choose to paint the sides. Plywood was actually more expensive for the thickness that I wanted (3/4 inch).

+1 for the Home depot Husky Commercial/Industrial type units. If a shelf is wobbly in the store it will be wobbly at home. Lateral movement failure is not something you want with your precious water tanks.
The first time I got shrimp my wife asked "How big do they get and can you eat them?"

rivermuse