New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Help Finding Replacement Lid

Started by MichelleTCM, November 26, 2020, 11:19:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MichelleTCM

I want to replace my boyfriend's lid for his 75 gallon tank for Christmas but cannot find anywhere to buy them. Specifically it is one solid piece with three sections the whole width of the tank. Two are glass to allow for two lights on top of and the front has two hinged hatches for feeding. I cannot find this type anywhere. He stepped on one of the glass bits on his during a water change that left it spider webbed and risks dropping the glass into the tank with one wrong move. I think these are old style as the tank was purchased used and the two glass sections had fluorescent lights on them. Is this even possible or do we have to switch to two glass lids instead?

lucius

MichelleTCM

lucius

Have you tried popping out the cracked piece of glass?  You can then bring it to a glass shop and and they should be able to just cut you a new one.

HayleYoyo

I would look up DIY Glads lids.

They are super easy to make, and they are much better looking than the plastic ones, and they will probably coast you a lot less.

I paid about $35 for my 30 gallon

lucius

I was also going to suggest the DIY glass lids as well but if it's an older tank, it might have a flat rim.  In order to use the DIY glass lids, it needs to be able to sit inside the rim so the rim needs to have an inner lip.  The tank also needs to have a center brace.  Can't tell right now with the current pics.

Here's the DIY glass lids I use for my 75 gallon. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whwqdsF4GiI

The only difference is I spray painted the moulding trim black to match the colour of the rim and I had a hole put in both the front glass.  With the hole, I don't need to slide the glass, just remove the rubber foot to feed or fertilize.

HayleYoyo

I use lid clips with my rimless 30, and it works very well

MichelleTCM

It does have a lip and center brace so I will look into the diy glass lids now. Thank you for the suggestions everyone!