New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Follow up to my question on Peacocks a while back

Started by hamstercaster, February 07, 2008, 10:01:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hamstercaster

Well well well, a couple of months ago I was inquiring on the possibility of mixing peacocks together.  Knowing first hand that some of my friends had had problems when putting to males that looked similar in the same thing, I wondered if there were species that could share a tank without killing each other off.  There were a couple of answers suggesting that not much success was had by pretty much anybody unless the peacocks in question did not look alike at all. 

Now here comes the follow up to my question.

As some of you might have known, I had a 75g and a 94g at home.  There was a Baenshi in one thank and a Hueseri in the other thank.  Both peacocks were acquired from friends who needed to part out because both peacocks were creating havock in their respective tanks, not tolerating any other peacock around and being quite the bullies with other fish.  About 3 weeks to a month ago I decided that I was getting a bit fed up with having to upkeep two tanks and that the multi tank syndrome had given way to the less tank syndrome.  I sold my tank to my brother along with some fish but decided to keep both peacocks and see how it would work out.  I also kept two C44's together which were said to get along better than peacocks.  Well 3 weeks later the subdominant male c44's dead and both peacocks are pretty much best pals in the tank much to my friend's surprise.  They often swim side by side without showing any signs of agression towards each other, they follow each other often and it seems that they couldn't be bothered that there are two of them in the tank that look somewhat similar... But they do give my lithobate a run for it's money from time to time though lol....

All this to say that it seems that they will be ok together but it's largely based on trial and error and possibly on the temper of each individuals so I guess you won't know until you try but you better have a plan B in case it goes awry lol