New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

February 24 Presentation: Ghana Cichlids and Killifish with Haydn Pounder

Started by OVAS-Webmaster, February 21, 2020, 08:23:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OVAS-Webmaster

Please join us on Monday, February 24th at Tom Brown Area where Hadyn Pounder will be speaking about Ghana Cichlids and Killifish.

When Haydn Pounder was just a young child, his father gifted him with an aquarium along with a few guppies and swordtails and taught him the nuances of fish keeping.  As Haydn grew older, his interest and fascination never diminished and he remained hooked.  As an adult, he began studying books and journals related to fish, their habits and environments.  Eventually he joined the Peel Regional Aquarium Club where he has held various Executive positions.  All in all, Haydn has kept tropical fish for 45 years mainly breeding and raising different species of killifish.  However he has also commercially raised rift lake cichlids and bred and raised west African cichlids as well.  Currently his time is spent on keeping guppies, cory's, plants and some killifish.

He lists his collection trip in 2018 to collect true fundulopanchax walkeri as a dream come true.  Another member of the Peel Regional Aquarium Club, Peter deSouza, joined him on this dream trip and it was memorable for Haydn because the trip was originally a cichlid collection trip but ended up being hijacked by two Canadian killifish keepers.  This trip was 19 years in the making and let's hope that he can tell us more about it during his presentation.

"I have always been attracted by the peace and beauty of fish."  "Also, the challenge of breeding the fish motivates me. I remember how as a kid I would pour through books and if a particular fish caught my eye, I would try and get it. Once I had it, I then looked for way to breed it. It's also fun to teach people who are new to this and share their excitement."

If you are ever in the Region of Peel, please check out the Peel Regional Aquarium Club.

Additional Meeting Info

Monday, February 24th at 7:00 PM
Tom Brown Arena
141 Bayview Rd.
Ottawa, ON
K1Y 4M3

This is a FREE event sponsored by the Ottawa Valley Aquarium Society.  Anyone with an interest in aquariums and related hobbies is welcome to attend.  OVAS presentations are a great place to meet other aquarium hobbyists, exchange ideas and learn more about fish and aquatic plant keeping.

There will be tables put out for everyone and you that can sell any fish keeping related items. Items such as fish foods, botanical items, fish, plants and all kinds of equipment.  The only rule is that anything you bring, you take home if no one takes it.

There will be refreshments!  Hope you can join us!
Don't forget that OVAS has a separate webpage as well.  http://ovas.ca/ovas/

Visit us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

OVAS on Instagram

Please familiarize yourself with the Forum Rules