New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Newbie!

Started by twisty, March 18, 2005, 09:55:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twisty

Hey,
I`m new to the site/forum so i figured i`d say Hi!
Recently setup my childhood tank.
It was sitting @ my parents house collecting dust so I figured i`d pull it out of retirement.
It`s a 25gal tank. I`m currently using an UGF. I plan on adding a HOB filter when i have more $.
I`m currently cycling it with 3 sailfin molly`s and 3 red platty`s.
Last night i installed my lighting system.
2 x 20w grow fluorescents.
I want to plant the tank. Any idea how many plants a tank of this size can hold?
Another question is what fish (s) are good for reducing snail infestations?

I'll post pictures after i get my plants...
It kinda looks bare now!
Eric

blueturq

Welcome! :D

25 gallon.... good tank to start with! :D

So, do you have a snail infestation? is it those Trumpet Snails that many people call "beneficial" which become more of a nuisance than anything! :roll: or are you forseeing an infestaion in the near future and planning ahead?

Eitherway, if you are looking for snail eaters, generally some fish that are supposed to eat snails are loaches.

You also have to remove some yourself though of course. :wink:

Again I would like to say Welcome!

aidensmomma2000

Welcome!

Clowns are agood way to get rid of snails, but will eventually outgrow your tank.

Do cooley (sp?) loaches eat snails? I love those guys but am always worried about killing them with my python...

Tim

I would say get a couple rosy barbs. They are good for snails and hair algea. I never see a single snail in my tank and I only have 2 rosy barbs in a 75 gallon. I know I have snails becuase my filter is full of them but none in my tank.

blueturq

Quote from: "Tim"I would say get a couple rosy barbs. They are good for snails and hair algea. I never see a single snail in my tank and I only have 2 rosy barbs in a 75 gallon. I know I have snails becuase my filter is full of them but none in my tank.

Are you sure it wasn't the gourami's?

twisty

No i don`t have any snails.
Don't have any live plants yet either.
I've been told they are apperently non avoidable when you purchase/plant live plans.
So I want a solution before I plant.

Quote from: "blueturq"Welcome! :D
So, do you have a snail infestation? is it those Trumpet Snails that many people call "beneficial" which become more of a nuisance than anything! :roll: or are you forseeing an infestaion in the near future and planning ahead?
Again I would like to say Welcome!

BigDaddy

Due to the fact that 25 gallons are relatively high, don't count on growing anything other than low light plants.

I know 40 watts puts you over 1.5 WPG... but in reality very little of that light will be reaching the bottom of the tank.

A couple of ways of ensuring a snail free tank prior to planting:

1)  Get stock from other tanks that have no snails.  This would mostly involve getting the plants from other OVAS members who can confirm they are snail free.

2)  Pre-treat the plants.  A bleach dip or potassium perg. will effectivly kill of any snails or eggs.

If you do get snails in a planted tank, you can try to bait them into a trap or manually remove what you can until the population thins itself out.  Just don't try to use chemicals to eradicate the snails... medicating to remove unwanted elements in a tank (i.e. snails algae) is never a really good idea.

BigDaddy

Quote from: "blueturq"So, do you have a snail infestation? is it those Trumpet Snails that many people call "beneficial" which become more of a nuisance than anything! :roll: or are you forseeing an infestaion in the near future and planning ahead?

Am I to assume that eye roll is directed in my attention?   :lol:

blueturq

Quote from: "BigDaddy"
Quote from: "blueturq"So, do you have a snail infestation? is it those Trumpet Snails that many people call "beneficial" which become more of a nuisance than anything! :roll: or are you forseeing an infestaion in the near future and planning ahead?

No, just a generality, not a personal attack! :)

dannypd

I love those MT's....I dont see them in my 60 gal no more, unless I turn on the lights at 3AM.

And even them, as soon as I do that, my puffer has a midnight feast.

It's the ONLY, and I repeat, ONLY algea/glass cleaner in a HEAVY brackish tank.

twisty

Where do i find this?

2)  Pre-treat the plants.  A bleach dip or potassium perg. will effectivly kill of any snails or eggs.
[/quote]

dpatte

bleach is avail at any grocery store. make sure it is pure bleach, and has no scents or 'fresheners' added.

potassium permanginate is a purple dye you can bye at a chemical supply store like the one downtown (we really should find out the address of this place)

TR

Hi Twisty welcome aboard.

TR.

Jim

Welcome Twisty!