New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Introduction

Started by sarahbella, September 11, 2005, 08:35:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sarahbella

Hi guys, i just joined the website and i thought id say hi :)

I used to belong to the aquarium society of brantford many many years ago.  Ive always had a small aquarium and usually kept a variety of small community fish in it like danios, tetras, guppies...

Well as the last of my little fish succombed to old age i thought i go in a different direction.   I bought two convicts last night and i look forward to watching them grow.  They are quite small right now.  I know i have a female but the other one is too young to sex.  I would like to get a male from a different pet store to avoid inbreeding.  I kept guppies once eons ago that began inbreeding, its was an ugly lesson to learn.  

I hope to be at the ovas meeting this month with my family. My son and daughter are both interested in aquarium keeping.  My goal is to get a very large tank and fill it with friendly fish :)

Sarah

Jim

welcome!

be carefull i think you have symptoms of MTS (multiple tank syndrom) hahaha

JIM

darkdep

Welcome to ovas, Sarah!

Convicts are great fish.  You should enjoy them very much, especially when they start breeding (which, with convicts, is inevitable!)

Jim has a point about MTS.  I remember when I first logged on here, and said to my wife "You wouldn't believe the yahoos on here who have like, more than one tank!"

sarahbella

Thank you both!  I look forward to getting into this hobby again.   Right now i have a 10 gal tank with those 2 convicts and a pleco.  I know the tank is indeed too small for the convicts and i hope to upgrade before they get too big.  Maybe santa will bring me something a bit bigger this year ;)  

I don't see how i can avoid MTS.  With 3 of us in the family that have an interest in the hobby and different ideas of what we want in a tank i think its in everyones best interest to have their own.  

I saw a cute complete 10gal set up at Zellers for $60.  I think my boy will be getting that for xmas.  He's 7 and is facinated by blind cave fish.  He thinks he can put one in my tank with the convicts lol

Nelson

Welcome sarahbella, the OVAS site is frequented by many very experienced aquarists who are always ready to offer advice and assistance.  

Keep a close eye on the classifieds - there's always oustanding deals to be found on tanks, livestock and plants.  I would also encourage you to join OVAS...you will recover the relatively insignificant membership fee with a few purchases from the LFS's that offer 15% discounts to our members - and then there's everyone's favorite, the mini-auction at the end of our monthly meetings :wink:

Marx

yeah you have to be quick or bigdaddy & nelson will buy it before you have a chance to reply lol..

BTW Welcome

BigDaddy

Quote from: "Marx"yeah you have to be quick or bigdaddy & nelson will buy it before you have a chance to reply lol..

BTW Welcome

Are you saying I have MTS Marx?   :lol:

Nelson

Quote from: "BigDaddy"
Quote from: "Marx"yeah you have to be quick or bigdaddy & nelson will buy it before you have a chance to reply lol..

BTW Welcome

Are you saying I have MTS Marx?   :lol:

Hello, my name is Nelson and I've got MTS :roll:   Haven't I seen you at a MTS recovery meeting BigDaddy:wink:

mseguin

The good thing is if Nelson buys a tank, you know they'res gonna be another one available soon.

BigDaddy

Haha... no "one in one out" rule at my place... YET.

And I still have 3 other tanks that don't fit my sig because it's too big as it is!!!

Who does have the most tanks in a single location in the club?  David?  Michel?

Nelson

Quote from: "mseguin"The good thing is if Nelson buys a tank, you know they'res gonna be another one available soon.

sarahbella, that's a rule than some wive's have placed on more irresponsible tank purchasers like myself.  It's aggravatingly simple....one in, one out :cry:

Marx

so bring in you 220g and trade out a 20gal lol..

Marc

Quote from: "BigDaddy"And I still have 3 other tanks that don't fit my sig because it's too big as it is!!!

I've doubled the signature size!  Get typing ....

Nelson

Quote from: "Marx"so bring in you 220g and trade out a 20gal lol..

I actually did that (on a smaller scale) and there were no claps of thunder or gnarly looks :wink:   Doubt if I could get away with it again.

mseguin

Eventually you'll flood the basement and sell a 20 gallon. "Honey, the basement only counts as one tank."

BigDaddy

Quote from: "Marc"
Quote from: "BigDaddy"And I still have 3 other tanks that don't fit my sig because it's too big as it is!!!

I've doubled the signature size!  Get typing ....

HAHA Marc... classic

I'm on it!

artw

Hi Sarah
Welcome to the board!
we hope to see you at a meeting in the near future.

..and just a quick note that actually owning an aquarium is not a prerequisite to belong to OVAS *ducks and runs*

BigDaddy

Quote from: "artw"
..and just a quick note that actually owning an aquarium is not a prerequisite to belong to OVAS *ducks and runs*

Look art... we all know you are a freak of nature anyway... but thankfully now the new members know too!   :lol:

sarahbella

Thank you art :)  I have marked the date on the calendar and i hope to attend.  My 12 year old is planning to buy her own 10 gal setup from zellers in the very near future, she wants to try breeding bettas. lol She has a beautiful male in a glass vase in her room.  She wants to give him a larger, cleaner home.  She is also very excited to see the auction.

BigDaddy

Well sara... the first auction of the season is usually one of the bigger ones other than our Giant Spring Auction... I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

darkdep

Sarah, if I may...you may want to consider something larger than a 10gal if feasible.  Even a 20gal gives you SO many more options and the ability to keep a more stable tank.

sarahbella

Hi darkdep :)

I agree with you 100%, a larger tank is ideal, however its my daughter that wants  one and she really can only afford something cheap.  the 10 gl one from zellers comes with all the extras shes gonna need for now like the lights, the filter, gravel, heater etc.

Im keeping my eyes open in the classifieds for her as well...   :) Id definitely let her have a bigger tank if she wants to save her allowance for a while longer, but shes almost a teenager and wants one yesterday lol..

darkdep

Understood.  Keep in mind that one can usually pick up a 20+gal tank with everything in the classifieds for cheaper than a 10gal kit in stores.

There are some great folks on here who tend to post great deals that they see in other classified listings too, so hopefully you can find a deal for your daughter.

NjOyRiD

I'm NjOyRiD, the frenchman and I have MTS as well :(

HI SARAH :D lol
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

CdnRednek

Hi Sarah,
Welcome to the wonderful world of fishies. :D
Just be careful cause MTS is very,very easy to catch....lol
We got into this for our kids and very rapidly began showing the symptoms of MTS.  The only thing that's keeping us under control is that we're running out of room to put tanks........lol. Hmmmm, although, if I find a new spot for the two betta tanks, I could fit a 10G on the stand that holds the 33G.  *sigh* just when I think I have it under control.....lol
Anyways, have fun, it's definitely something the whole family can enjoy.  Even my 7 month old loves the fish!

sarahbella

Im already planning for the tank in our home theatre lol.  I plan to set up a tank in the laundry room (which shares a wall with our home theatre room) and cut a hole in the wall and frame it on the theatre side  lol

I use to have a small case of mts when i was younger, my bf and I had 5 or 6 tanks going at all times. We had frogs, turtles, crayfish, pirahna, convicts, a nice community tank..  everything from 2g to 50g, but that was a lifetime ago  and my current husband has no interest in keeping fish.  Maybe i should get him a little 2gal tank for his desk and start him off small ;)

Sue

Quote from: "BigDaddy"

Who does have the most tanks in a single location in the club?  David?  Michel?

we might if you count all the tanks in our car port right now!  :roll:

ambushman2j

If anyone needs advice on how to beat MTS me and art have overcome that condition

Jim

ambushman2j

well working at a LFS for 2 years is a good start, the thought of tank maintenance makes you quesy, then you soon find all your tanks water levels are constantly dropping below 70% and it sounds like niagra falls in your house and you simply have no desire to even look at your fish anymore, it is at this point you realize you must sell 1-35+ of your tanks

darkdep

...And you still log on to an aquaria web site...and actually post... :?:

artw

I do. and I had 38 tanks...  but I made a comittment to the club. I am only in down time.  eventually I will breed again and it will be bigger and better than ever.

but drew's right. I haven't had MTS since April :D

ambushman2j

Actually I haven't been posting here in awhile, but I do still have 1 tank also no money makes it difficult to be in the hobby, but now I have a little extra money and am looking to restock my 50 gallon, th only tank I have left.