New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

MTS Anonymous?

Started by jgolden, November 08, 2005, 09:30:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgolden

Hi.

My name is J. While I don't actually suffer from it yet, I am in preliminary stages of MTS.

It all started innocently enough, when my father gave my son a 10G about 2 years ago. A couple of the fish he had in there started getting a little large  for the tank (i.e. the common pleco. Current measurement is 10"), so I started up the 75G a couple months ago.

In very recent weeks, I've seen and heard of so many 100G, 120G, 150G 200G tanks - both set up and in storage, that I've started getting all excited, and started envisioning about what I could do with a tank (or 3!) of any of those sizes. My wife has already told me the 75G was 'it'. But I've still been pricing around new tanks.

Marc

Welcome J.  Unfortunately there are no 12 steps for MTS but it`s nice to hear your story.

mseguin

The 12 steps are Buying first tank, buying first fish, setting up quarantine tank, stocking quarantine tank, buying new quarantine tank (repeat), join OVAS, buy tank more than double size of current largest tank, set up breeding tank, nagging from spouse about number of tanks, compromise reached as one tank is sold, purchase of more tanks, total shutoff from normal society :-)

Evan

I also have MTS but I don't feel it is a problem :D

-Easier to beg forgiveess.  Get the big tank and get the wife a gift to soften the blow.

Another idea find a fish that your wife likes then get a tank with a few of those to get her interested :D

darkdep

I have MTS.  I laughed at the people with "more than one" tank when I set up my first little 30gal.  Now I have 6, with no end in sight.

Luckily, wife doesn't mind.  We even discussed setting up something big and crazy in the living room as a room divider.  Her only real request is that I not keep "fish that eat other fish".

jgolden

lol this isn't helping

:twisted: anyone have a 200G they may consider selling?

CdnRednek

Sounds like not only are you showing symptoms of MTS but TNBE (tank never big enough) as well  :lol:
My whole family suffers from MTS and TNBE.  Fortunately we're limited by available space and the fact that there aren't as many big tanks available for sale in Petawawa as there are in Ottawa. :D

AdamR

darkdep:  Ask you wife this:  If the big tank was a divider between the living room and the dining room could you ever eat fish and chips?   :)

I have 2 tanks and want more!

jgolden

So, if I explored building one to satisfy this 'fix', I'd like to hear everyones arguments between glass (my preference) and acrylic.

(Yes, I definitely suffer from TNBE, and soon look to be suffering from MTS as well) :wink:

Mettle

How about plywood? Much cheaper and the only way to go for these larger tank set-ups, imo.

DIY Plywood Aquarium: http://www.piranha-fury.com/pfury/index.php?showtopic=76219

Jim

but you can't see through plywood :)

Mettle

Quote from: "Jim"but you can't see through plywood :)

Read the plans. ;) You'll see that the front of the tank is a sheet of glass. Lazy people.  :lol:  :roll:

Jim

ceilidh

I use my 90g as a divider between my dining and living room..its awesome!!..and I can see my fish from both sides

darkdep

I could eat fish and chips.  I'm a sicko.  Just caught a moth that flew in the door and I threw it in the tank.  :twisted:

Glass all the way.  The plywood idea is nice; but a lot of work.  (This coming from a guy who just spent 5 months building a stand...hmm...)

artw

for your information the MTS - AA meetings occur every 4th Monday at 320 Elgin Street - Jack Purcell Centre

luvfishies

Quote from: "artw"for your information the MTS - AA meetings occur every 4th Monday at 320 Elgin Street - Jack Purcell Centre

I gotta get back to one of those meetings/auctions. I've got far too much tankspace that needs filling!

Jim

I belive i'm showing signs of MTS as well.... i bought my first tank (29gal) in late febuary of this year, and they just kept comming.

hmmm i could get a stand for my 10gal and but my betta in there...and get another tank for my guppy fry :)

BigDaddy

Quote from: "luvfishies"
Quote from: "artw"for your information the MTS - AA meetings occur every 4th Monday at 320 Elgin Street - Jack Purcell Centre

I gotta get back to one of those meetings/auctions. I've got far too much tankspace that needs filling!

Since you can't always be there.. then you should at least try to make it to the Giant Auction this year......

dpatte

Julie

The reason for just turning the heat up.
I tried to figure that out one afternoon, it went from malaysian trumpet snail to multiple tank ** and then finally.

Julie

BigDaddy

Only problem being.. these meetings ENCOURAGE MTS.

How many times have we heard "Oh my [insert significant other title here] is gonna kill me"

:lol:

BigDaddy

Quote from: "dpatte"MTS? Whats MTS?

Haha... you should talk Mr. 18 tanks and counting.....

LOL

mseguin

I survived it last time. Actually by the day after I was very much into the good books. :-)

dpatte

Big Daddy has this on the end of his message:
33G C. Nigrofasciatus
33G S. aequifasciata sp.
33G Empty
15G M. altispinosa, N. beckfordi
15G M. ramirezi
10G A. borelli, H. erythrozonus
10G M. ramirezi, R. dorsiocellata
------

hold on a sec. Didnt you only have 5 tanks last time i looked? ;)

dpatte

actually on ebay they had an interesting tank for sale 12ft x 3 ft x 3 ft. = 500 gallons

I was thinking about it but couldnt decide what part of my foundation I would have to take out to get the tank in.

jgolden

Quote from: "dpatte"actually on ebay they had an interesting tank for sale 12ft x 3 ft x 3 ft. = 500 gallons

Drooooool

:?: But where the heck would I put such a beast :?:

:!: We could all get it as a display tank for OVAS :!:
:?: But where the heck would the membership put such a beast :wink: :?:

mseguin

Jody's House!!!!!! He's the president after all  :lol:

NjOyRiD

i have mts! but now i have no more room!!!!!!!! I think I,ll go rent a garage to put them all LOL
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

AdamR

No need to rent, you can set them up in my house.  :D

Jim

Quote from: "AdamR"No need to rent, you can set them up in my house.  :D

LOL

NjOyRiD

Quote from: "AdamR"No need to rent, you can set them up in my house.  :D

if you were living in hull i would say yes :)
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

sylvain

My wife bought me a 150 gallons tank for xmas 2004, i told her that this was going to be the only tank I would get..........in july 2004 I bought another 150 gallons, the last one I said...........November 2004, I won at the Montreal aquarium society auction a complete 37 gallons set up, that was definately the last one, in january 2005 I bought a 90 gallons tank, for the fry so I told her.........and in march 2005 another 90 gallons, because the first 90 gallons felt lonely :lol: , I don't understand my wife, she doesn't believe me anymore........I love her, she is great.
Sylvain 
220-
150-
120-

NjOyRiD

haha i like that story! nice!
370g System

jgolden

Quote from: "sylvain"My wife bought me a 150 gallons tank for xmas

Hmmm.... How to get my wife to buy me a 150G....

sylvain

it takes a lot of begging and convaincing, after the first one I think she just gave up :lol:
Sylvain 
220-
150-
120-

Julie

Smart lady, I tend to apply this policy to my husband.

Julie

Evan

I find something that helps is letting them know you have worse problems.

Instead of being in the basement with the fish, I could be down there drinking alone... See much worse.

Or I could spend the mopney on aftermarket parts for my bike :twisted:

Julie

Well I figure if they can put up with me, then I'll put up with them.
:wink:

Julie

mseguin

So yuo have two vices eh? :-) So yuo have to come up with TWO worse ones. I.e. drinking AND being a liberal MP. oops.. did I say that out loud. Sorry

nickie

Mettle, thanks for the  " DIY Plywood Aquarium , site !! "....I read the whole thing as I found it most interesting !!!... I never immagined before how these tanks were built !...now I know !...
Thanks;....... John

dpatte

Big Daddy teases me that I have MTS, because I have 18 tanks. But as a matter of fact - im actually cutting down. No really - its true.

Three years ago I had one 50 gallon tank, then I got about 4 tanks in a single buyout.

I thinks this is where the MTS kicked in, becuase it was the same time as Big Als move to their Blair store and closed their store on Belfast.

I had made an offer on one of their 137s (my brichardi tank), but then I found out (through Artw and Jodie) that they where selling their tetra AISLE.

I bought it - ALLl 36 tanks!

After trying to keep over 40 tanks running in my house at once i had to finally throw in the towel and admit defeat.

I sold one SIDE of the tetra aisle, 18 tanks, to IVAN at aquaria canada.

me with MTS? - no - im cured.

i think

Evan

oops I meant to say I COULD have worse problems.   :oops:

repeej

dpatte:  with all those tanks, are you breeding fish also?

dpatte

i breed brichardis, caudomaculatus, barbs, kribs and buffaloheads - though not religiously

mseguin

I wouldn't say you're cured dpatte, just on the road to recovery :-)

Jim

well don't fully recover though!