New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Newly interested in fish!

Started by saracen, February 01, 2006, 01:30:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

saracen

for a few days now after returning from my brother in laws house and seeing his 90 gallon mixed cichlid tank in toronto i have developed a new interest for fish.  Specifically for mbuna cichlids.  hoping to learn much from u all here b4 i start to build an aquarium of my own.  just cant get over some of the prices ive come across for a decent size tank.  quite an investment these fish are  :)

hope its worth it in the end.

Quatro

Greeting saracen.

Unfortunately you just missed the boxing day sales.  Some good deals on large tanks.  The good thing is that the giant auction is coming up soon (March 6 I believe).  Look in the Aquatic Discussions for more info.

Mike S

NjOyRiD

370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

kennyman

I still enjoy my rather samll mbuna tank. It is mature at this point and very easy to maintain, but saltwater has got a hold on me and I want to put all my efforts towards a reef tank.

kitten

If you don't mind getting a used tank you should be able to find a good size one for a decent price.

darkdep

I think you'll find it's worth it.  It can be quite an addictive hobby and it's very real.  You've picked a very colourful and intelligent fish type to go for (IMHO :) ) and you should have a lot of fun with it.

The people on the forum here are excellent and can help you out with just about anything related to the hobby.  They are the reason I got into it myself. :)

You do need to invest a little money on your first setup; but you can pick up almost everything used for a good deal cheaper than new.  The tank will cost you a bit, but just keep an eye on the classifieds here...there are always tanks and setups for sale.  The OVAS giant auction is also just around the corner, where you could definetlt pick up possibly a tank and most definetly all the accessories you need (heaters, lighting, filters, etc).