New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Intro

Started by james, February 02, 2006, 03:33:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

james

Hi
I see a lot of new members on our Ovas site . I was wondering if evryone would like to give a brief intro of themselves ie what fish you keep, interest, work etc.

James  8)
55-g  Kribs. Busyi nose pleco, abino
25 gal yellow lab , Brichardi,
55-g white top Afra, Synodontus Alberti,
33- gal PS Demansoni
30-g Dim..Compressiceps , 55 gal  red swords, 
.30-g  P.S Flavus

mseguin

Do u mean the new members or everyone?

james

Hi
I mean anyone. Its nice to know who you are talking to. 8)
Even up to now I only recognize only a few persons that is on line at our monthly meaning. I think I am one of a few that actual use my real name rather than a call name :lol:

James 8)
33- gal PS Demansoni
.30-g  P.S Flavus

darkdep

Maybe we don't want you to KNOW who we are James!  :lol:

I'm with you.  I am slowly meeting people at the meetings (Met a LOT of people at the last one) but I'd love to know more...

jgolden

Quote from: "darkdep"I'm with you.  I am slowly meeting people at the meetings (Met a LOT of people at the last one) but I'd love to know more...
Hi, My name is Chris, and I.... Oh, wait! That's You!!! :twisted:

Jeff

Jim

Well my name is Jim and i hope to meet people at the giant auction!

93GTCANADA

hi my name is Martin. all i have is in my signature. i am a gas fitter. i forgot my interest well i love to fish and go to the cottage. doing reno's around the house and cottage. 4 wheeling and watersports.

mseguin

If ur kids are trained to do water changes you might have a deal lol

Sailfin

Quote from: "Jim"Well my name is Jim and i hope to meet people at the giant auction!

Auction!   Hmmmmm....How to make items go for big money!!    :twisted:    Hope you guys are ready to bid with me.    :lol:

Aiglos

Zippity: Its funny you mention you work for ZIP.ca  I was just talking about your company at work today !  we were wondering how your company makes money with the cost of shipping these days.....  small world. I didn't know they were based out of ottawa

james

Hi
This getting more interesting :lol:
I am a old timer in the hobby. I have been on and off since I was 12 years old. Stop the hobby for university Got back in now for some 12 plus years now Had a set back 4 years ago. Lost 33 tanks and over 200 fish due to a fire.
Intersted in mainly African Cichlids. But recently diversifying my interest into other fish.
I am a little nuts about buying both fish and equipment. Can't resist a good deal. ie  bags of fish at the monthly auctions going for only $ 1 . I am curretly runnig 15 tanks only now.

James

:lol:
33- gal PS Demansoni
.30-g  P.S Flavus

Aquafish

Question with the Giant Auction...

Are Non Members allowed to bid???

What stuff are usually in the auction?

Seanc

Hi
i'm sean,
had an aquarium since i was 13, i'm a student, i'm interested in south american fish, and plants. i have 4 tanks going at present. i also like skateboarding, and making movies.

mseguin

Here's the rules from last year's.
http://ovas.ca/article.php?sid=97
Only change I can think of for this year is that there is a limit of 5 minimum bid items.
Any aquarium related item can be sold, fish, plants, tanks, equipment, stands, food, etc.

darkdep

Hi, My name is Chris, and I have MTS.  :lol:  I'm a long time computer guy, been doing it for about 18 years.  I currently do "enterprise management" at a law firm, which means I have a lot of computers on my desk and I don't have to deal with end users very often  :twisted:   I also code, which means I have a few screws loose.

I tried small fish tanks several times in my life, got pretty dedicated with it about 3 years ago...within the last year I decided I really liked it, and I ballooned from 1 tank to 7 currently operating, and more planned.  I'm currently mostly into African Cichlids and have started breeding several of them, but am always interested in new experiments and have started tanks with other kids of interesting fish as well.

I have daughters.  So I don't do much other than work and help them find their barbies and hairbrushes.  When I'm not doing that I do a lot of woodworking (which nowadays includes building aquarium furniture).  

I like fish and chips.  A LOT.  And my wife won't make fish for me.  :(

I like to log into the OVAS website about 50 times a day.  I am addicted.  I can't get enough of BigDaddy's knowledge, repeej's sarcasm, squeeker's aqua medical advice, Mettle's constant mind-changing on what he's doing with his 90gal, rockgarden's "Yeah, you could go that high tech route with your salt tank, but I don't do any of that"-ism, mseguin denying the evidence that he's the most dedicated fish store employee on earth, and everyone elses individual personality traits and experiences and all.

jgolden

Okay, hi, I'm Jeff. I've only been with OVAS for 6 months. However, my father's had aquariums sincebefore I can remember. Also, my uncle used to sit on the OVAS executive back in the early-mid 70's.* (Or so he keeps saying) :lol:. I've been running my systems on Linux for about 5 years now (right around the time darkdep and I stopped working for SHL/EDS), which is convenient as I now work at Novell.

Sailfin

Has OVAS ever thought about moving the big auction to a bigger room?   Or do like the Montreal group does.....have 2 rooms for viewing, and one large one for biddin.   It seems that every year this event gets bigger and bigger here in Ottawa.

mseguin

It was debated, but we didn't feel there was a need this year. We'll see how it looks this year, and if need be it will be looked into for next year.