New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

OVAS changed my life.

Started by Supressor, June 14, 2006, 10:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seanc

well, OVAS is the reason for that one, I guess OVAS has changed my life in more ways then one, My Dad will always be on my case about water changes, and "remember that one time you forgot and spilt it all? No more tanks for you son" :(

Supressor

meh, I make messes all the time, I'll tell you what I do. I get 2 or 3 beach towels, and I place them on the floor around the tank so any little spills will be fully obsorbed, and if a big spill happens well at least I have a head start on the clean up  :P

PaleoFishGirl

I'm sure your mom is really happy about you using her good towels for the fish water too :D

feral

"How the hell can you forget your doing a water change?"

If we knew that answer to that we'd never have the bucket overflow....
Python is seriously the way to go on bigger tanks!

Supressor

PFG, notice I said beach towels :P and we DO wash the towels when I'm done.

Supressor

I have a question for you all, I bought some Hornwort to put in my aquarium, only 2 long strands (and i mean long) so... What do I do?

aidensmomma2000

Quote from: Supressor on June 16, 2006, 10:40:37 PM
How the hell can you forget your doing a water change? I never hear the end of it until I do it and get it done lol

Yep, Python can be a problem that way...makes for a problem with both hardwood and carpets though! Youre lucky to have your folks to remind you  ;) My fiancee doesnt pay attention to the water changes, but my 5 year old has saved our floors a few times now!

BigDaddy

Quote from: Supressor on June 23, 2006, 05:28:40 PM
I have a question for you all, I bought some Parrot's feather to put in my aquarium, only 2 long strands (and i mean long) so... What do I do?

Cut it into more manageable sections and plant the sections.  Where you cut... you'll get two shoots coming out.  If you do this along the plant, you'll get a nice bushy stem.

Supressor

Sorry BigDaddy, It was hornwort, The lady at the stand marked it wrong and argued with me its Parrots Feather, but I guess I was right after looking it up.

But it will still be the same way, right?

BigMomma

Quote from: Supressor on June 25, 2006, 07:47:07 PM
Sorry BigDaddy, It was hornwort, The lady at the stand marked it wrong and argued with me its Parrots Feather, but I guess I was right after looking it up.

But it will still be the same way, right?

With hornwort you can either plant it or leave it floating, that stuff grows really fast though.

Supressor

BigDaddy

If you can see your tank at night... you have enough lighting   ;D

Hornwort will grow under lower light levels.  A standard aquarium hood/strip is enough.

Supressor

Thanks big daddy, I leave the aquarium light on from when I wake until I call it a night, so roughly 13 hours of light. It's in my basement, so it gets light from the windows just not much because the blinds have to stay closed. lol.

I'm going to chop it into 6 inch sections after I get back from camping and plant it in the 29 g upstairs.

ophelia

Back to the cat question..... i think eventually the cat will tire of the tank. Mine all did. However, if time is of the essence you can elaborate on the pennies in a can idea. Hmmmm, that one might put a nice dent in your hardwood floor. Buy a bunch of cheap mouse traps, set them up on top covered with a sheet of newspaper. I've heard this way works wonders for keeping your cat off the kitchen counters.

clouxles

Quote from: feral on June 17, 2006, 06:26:46 PM
"How the hell can you forget your doing a water change?"

I forget way too often, I think it's from trying to get more than one thing done at once... more spills and dirty looks than I care to remember Thank Goodness my tanks are in the basement... concrete floor and inexpensive rug (with a wet vac in close proximity)... What would the perfect floor be, rubber like in the weight room of a gym? With a drain in the middle... Ahhhh
Mark D.
210 gallon 3 Ornate Bichirs, 1 Dhelezi Bichir, 1 Rope Fish, Black Ghost Knife, Royal Pleco, Fire Eel, Clown Loach, BN Pleco
125 gallon Elephant Nose, Rainbows, Gourami (Pearl - Blue) Plecos (BN & Clown)

Go big or go home... no more MTS for me

Supressor

Quote from: clouxles on June 29, 2006, 09:19:48 AM
What would the perfect floor be, rubber like in the weight room of a gym? With a drain in the middle... Ahhhh

lol, wouldn't it be the shower room then?

Seanc

man that would be sweet, you wouldent eavin need a bucket! good idea! maybe my next tank will be a bath tub, that would make it easy to change the water!

Supressor

Quote from: Seanc on July 03, 2006, 08:15:31 PM
man that would be sweet, you wouldent eavin need a bucket! good idea! maybe my next tank will be a bath tub, that would make it easy to change the water!

Or why not just get your tank drilled and put a small hose or pipe and put a shut of valve, all hooked into your plumbing, would be more cost efficent and a little more attractive.

babblefish1960

Oh I don't know about cost effective, nor looks, it occurs to me that there are some pretty amazing bathtubs out there, and what a cool idea to turn one into a tank.