New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

New to this website and this hobby

Started by Aucus, June 29, 2006, 02:30:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aucus

Hey everyone, I am not sure if this is the right place to post my message but here it goes  ::) :
I am new to this website and new the the hole aquarium hobby. I add a 15 or 20 G tank when I was younger but only add a couple of tropical fish, now one of my friend is giving me is old (I would say around 50G) tank and I would like to try salt water. I know it is alot of work and I have much to learn but I am ready for it! I hope to meet many people and learn as much as I can... I got so many question that I dont know what to ask first... And what to buy first is also a big question O_O can you do much with a student budget?

A bit more about me:
well I am a student in computer science (so if anyone as any pc problem I would be happy to do my best to help you)
I just moved on my own... yay... hurray for bills hehe
I am very social and outgoing, and as you might have notice, I am french!! So sorry for all the spelling mystakes!!  ::)
Hope to hear from you guys and cant wait for the next meeting!

artw

Welcome to OVAS.   We won't be having a regular meeting until September but a lot of folk on here swap plants and fish all year around.

Underwater

Welcome!  It's a fun, if a little bit strange hobby, and this is a fun, if a little bit strange group.

There is lots you can do with a student budget! OVAS is a great place to get quality used equipment with a free helping of good advice.

First, I reccomend you read this article on the Nitrogen Cycle (http://ovas.ca/index.php?page=60).

Second, Before you buy any fish or equipment research lots and plan, plan, plan.  You have lots of time to enjoy your fish, but make sure you are happy with what you get.

apistome

Hi, Nice to meet you  :D
Welcome to the OVAS website.
If you are looking for good deals on used equipment this is a great resource, as well as our monthly auctions which begin again with the club meetings in September. You can still get memberships over the summer online however, the 15% discount might come in handy for you.

Ciao

Eric

PaleoFishGirl

Welcome to OVAS! You've come to the right place :D
Must be some friend if he's giving you his aquarium, maybe you want to introduce him to the rest of us too!
I think you'll find that the members of this Forum are the best resource you could hope for, not just starting out but at any stage in fishkeeping.  Looking forward to seeing what you do with your tank!

NjOyRiD

bienvenue sur le site mon chum..genre toi pas si ta des questions, le monde sont super correct, y vont te repondre
chow
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

Aucus

wow you guys are fast hehe Thank you to everyone and yes I am sure I found the right place and the best tings is that you all live neer me and not at the other end of the world :P
I will start by reding what have been said before posting my questions but you might see me often here ;)

NoSpoon

From one newbie to the other welcome to the group.

I myself am just starting out. I don't even have the tank yet so you have one up on me. I am doing a lot of reading on the web and here on the forum.

I also got some great deals on filters and lights in the Classified Ads form.

Good luck on the tank.

Aucus

rockgarden

Considering your budget, etc. consider FW before SW.  Most of the equipment you would obtain for FW can be used for SW later.  The experience you gain with FW will be useful in SW later and your mistakes (if you make any) will be a lot less costly in FW.

Ron

Aucus

thank you for your advice :) altough I have add a FW aquarium before. But I might end up in FW if I dont have anough money and come across a big filter... My goal was to get Live rock and no filter.... I will see what I can buy from people here :) Looks like I need to buy an aquarium too since my friend changed of Idea and whants to sell me is aquarium -_- ick
I tink my first salt water aquarium would be live rock and some cute puffer fish :P I find them so funny and not too expensive. I hope they are not hard to keep !?!
If anyone as anythign to sell feel free to pm me :P