New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

ATTENTION: CHANGES TO OVAS WEBSITE AND CLASSIFIEDS

Started by robt18, August 15, 2012, 11:20:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xenon

If they lock up the classifieds, they are digging their own grave.

/thread.

Brine

Quote from: Fishnut on August 16, 2012, 02:03:42 PM

Discussion on what to do with two members, ---------------------, who have repeatedly defied
the bumping and reposting rules.

All this over TWO members?
I assume, perhaps erroneously, that they have been repeatedly warned if they repeatedly defied the rules.

1. Ban them from the site.
2. Have a cup of tea and some toast.

robt18

As much as I enjoy tea and toast, that note was from a separate issue that was discussed before hand.

Hookup

jon1985

When the classifieds closed the first time last year I noticed a considerable drop in useful posts in the SW section, I cant speak to the FW section on this.  I assume the main reason for that was less classifieds means less people visiting the site which means less help.

I was drawn to OVAS when I first got into the hobby for the help and resources.  It seems those have been lost in all the curfufles.  I may be crazy but those are my observations.

Hookup

Quote from: jon1985 on August 16, 2012, 04:56:39 PM
I was drawn to OVAS when I first got into the hobby for the help and resources.  It seems those have been lost in all the curfufles.  I may be crazy but those are my observations.

This is very TRUE.  The people that helped me get started are long, long since gone... the ones that were hear learning with me have all moved on... the new batch of members is about to start to leave... The cycle continues...

Brine

Quote from: robt18 on August 16, 2012, 04:36:52 PM
As much as I enjoy tea and toast, that note was from a separate issue that was discussed before hand.
It is a direct quote from this thread. How is that a separate issue?

bt

Quote from: Brine on August 16, 2012, 05:09:29 PM
It is a direct quote from this thread. How is that a separate issue?

He means it was an issue discussed at the meeting prior to discussing closing the classifieds to non-members.  From the sounds of it, it was about two club members.  I mean, why would you close the classifieds to non-members because of two members breaking the rules?

That they were both about the classifieds is either coincidence, or more likely as they were put together in the schedule for the meeting as they dealt with the same area of the club.

Brine

Quote from: bt on August 16, 2012, 05:12:52 PM
He means it was an issue discussed at the meeting prior to discussing closing the classifieds to non-members.  From the sounds of it, it was about two club members.  I mean, why would you close the classifieds to non-members because of two members breaking the rules?

That makes sense. Thank you for clarifying that for me.

elk

Im wondering why this overdriven thread hasnt been locked yet?Maybe the executives want to hear our opinions.

rgauvin

Quote from: Brine on August 16, 2012, 04:16:56 PM
All this over TWO members?
I assume, perhaps erroneously, that they have been repeatedly warned if they repeatedly defied the rules.

1. Ban them from the site.
2. Have a cup of tea and some toast.

you and your logic should seriously get out of here, there is no place here for logic....

Quote from: elk on August 16, 2012, 05:35:19 PM
Im wondering why this overdriven thread hasnt been locked yet?Maybe the executives want to hear our opinions.
If this thread wasn't pruned, it'd be twice the size it is currently lol

Hookup

Quote from: Hookup on August 16, 2012, 04:43:55 PM
Is anyone going to address my questions?

I'm asking this again... I see LOADS of posts by the executive... The CURRENT president posted this thread and ASKED THAT QUESTIONS BE RAISED HERE-IN...

ARE MY QUESTIONS GOING TO BE ANSWERED?

Quote from: Hookup on August 15, 2012, 11:20:49 PM
TAKEN FROM PAGE 2
In interests of keeping it simple, the three questions embedded in the above that I was hoping some one would find the time to address:
1) Was there a call for moderation help since the original call 12+ months ago?

2) What is the benefit to current members of locking down the classifieds this way?

3) What was the membership total prior to the change, what was it after the "dip"?  How big is the problem?

Severum

When I first came to the site, it was by reference, to sell my freshwater fish in the classifieds. I stayed and ended up purchasing several memberships through the years. Were it not for that opportunity of selling my fish locally here, instead of getting peanuts for them at a LFS, I'd never have found this site and would instead be using national or international saltwater forums for my fishy fix. I'm sure many are in the same boat as me. Seems like a shame...
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef

dpatte

1 210g Asian Community planted fast water tank: balas, tiger & black ruby barbs, red-tail black shark, rainbows, loaches, SAEs, gold CAEs, 1500GPH river flow, plus 1500gph filtration.
1 75g African planted tank: 3 synos (had them since the 90s), yellow labs, kribensis.
1 40g breeder, silicone-divided into two - quarantine and nursery.

brotherluv

Issue: Lack of funds for OVAS to continue operating the way the execs feel they'd like the club to be run...lack of forum users paying for memberships.

Proposed idea to increase number of paying memberships: lock down forum classifieds to include posts from the paying users exclusively.

Possible outcomes?  Discussed above.

Other ideas to increase OVAS revenue:
1.  monthly 50/50 draws online...payment method? Email transfers or Paypal.
2.  Take some donations from sponsors and offer draws online for them to paying members.
3.  Offer small prizes for POTM contest and a  grand prize to POTY winner...open only to members..anyone can enter the contest only those registered can win the prizes.
4.  Add your idea here...

It's interesting to see a struggling organization use conflict to try to promote more revenue...why not implement positive energy and positive ideas to help solve the problem?

brotherluv

Fact: locking down the classifieds didn't work in the past.  Hence re-opening it.
Fact: the club is having financial issues.

Solution?  Implement NEW ideas to solve financial crisis.  If this fails...cut costs aka...lockdown classifieds etc.

markw

Sure is a shame to see this uproar all over again. I was a long standing OVAS member, spent several years inthe Exec. and moved away to Calgary last year. This issue is sad in several ways. It seems no other issue brings out such vocal opposition, yet it still gets "spun" into a SW vs. FW issue, Exec. bashing, or people demanding to know the inner workings of the Exec. behind closed doors. It is a thankless job, that never eases, and you can never always keep everyone happy. But the fact is, only a few people ever bother to step up to help run the club, and the job of policing the classifieds has and will always be a tedious job, because there are those that unfortunately spoil it for the rest. Take some of this frustration and hostility and funnel it into some good for the club. There are no motives by this Exec. nor any previous ones to prevent the enjoyment of this great hobby. Instead of demanding answers, take some time to thank the outgoing Exec. and welcome in the new by offering some constructive help, and accept the fact that the classifieds are a very difficult feature of the club. The two clubs here in Calgary don't even allow access to their website until you are a paid member. We should all be really appreciative to have access to such a useful site!

ajm1961

Quote from: markw on August 17, 2012, 01:51:33 AM
The two clubs here in Calgary don't even allow access to their website until you are a paid member. We should all be really appreciative to have access to such a useful site!
Thanks for chiming in Mark, it's appreciated.
You bring up a good point - several other clubs in the US also have a similar policy. And these clubs are thriving. Take the Ohio Cichlid Association - love their annual convention.
Cheers.
SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!

robt18

Quote1) Was there a call for moderation help since the original call 12+ months ago?

2) What is the benefit to current members of locking down the classifieds this way?

3) What was the membership total prior to the change, what was it after the "dip"?  How big is the problem?

1) Yes. We asked several times at meetings.

2) Less clutter and competition in classified ads.

3) We are between 1/3 to 1/2 of the membership level we were at a few years back. We are not in a financial crisis. However, we would like to see more members.

robt18

And just so everyone knows, this thread is still around because people can voice their opinions. Everyone is entitled to that. BUT, when people start bashing the executive, etc. they are banned. So if you see people banned there is a reason, and chances are the posts have been deleted. No one is being banned for being unhappy but reasonable.