New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

liv's 70g 30x30x18 shallow reef tank build

Started by liv, January 25, 2012, 09:58:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

liv

Hi everyone,

Decided to open a new tank build  :)
I've had a busy year or 2, moved twice, sold all my tanks and most of my equipment and now its time to start again.
I'm going small for the first setup as I got a billion other projects to do at the same time.

For people who dont know me.. I've been in the hobby for quite a few years.
Made lots of friends through this hobby.. some of them probably still on here... hey guys !!
started with a 130g, then had a few smaller tanks at the same time
then had a 400g (6x3x3) for a few years.. loved it.. but was a little too deep for maintenance. or my ceiling wasn't high enough.. LOL.. i used to use a mask and tuba to get in there and flip my clams... swore i'd never go that deep again.
and lets not talk about the hydro bills...

then had a 220g 48x40x27 for another few years... loved it. starphire is soo clear!! and depth was great.
now starting a 70g for now while I think about my next big tank ... still unsure of the specs etc.
I do love shallow tanks.. since I love to stare at corals from above more then from the sides... like diving the reefs.

as for this tank,
I picked it up on sale with an oak stand on boxing day at Big Als on Innes.
I then laminated a piece of 28x24x1/2" glass on the corner where I would drill for the in/out overflow.
I did this for added strength ( less likely to snap the bottom, which could have happened with a 4.5" hole )

I then decided I'd drill it on the bottom with a 4.5" hole for a 3" schedule 80 bulkhead.
My thought here is to have the in and out in the same area.. less messy, less prone to leaks and if leaks.. it goes right back into the sump under it.

I added 3x 1/2" lock lines directional nozzles.. not too sure on the bottom one yet.. I may cap it and not use it.. but the option is there.
the return is 1" plumbing with a check valve into the sump through the 3" drain pipe.
I plan to hot weld it all together in the coming days.
for now everything is just dry fitted, so i can modify etc.
I will not glue the end cap nor the bottom piece just in case I want to adjust the water level.. I can easily do it on the fly.

I machined the end cap on a cnc using a 1/4" 2bladed flute bit then skip 1/4" then cut again etc.

bulkheads and fittings for them from my buddy John Moreau at PVC store on carling. ave. ( used to work at pvc plus at the end of marivale, anyways.. he started his own business.. i'm happy for him )

here's a few pics of the work done tonight:

just after drilling, before the lock-lines:

the 3" end cap:

FTS before locklines:

pic of locklines installed:

pic of locklines, another angle

I'm now looking for some 1/2" acrylic for a nice heavy duty sump.

The thoughts for lighting is a single xr30w and for water movement ( other then the 3 lockline returns ) I'm thinking 2x mp40w's ( I had 4 in my 220g and loved them ).

I think that's it for now.. more pics and updates as I do more work on it.. or as replies come in.

Rybren

That tank has some nice dimensions.

Very nice and clean setup.  Incorporating the drain and return lines like that make it look great.  Are you concerned at all about how much the return lines might impeed the drain flow?  On second thought. I guess that you won't really need that much turnover/flow.

Great workmanship.  I followed your last build on that other site.  It too, was very nice and clean.
120G Reef

liv

Hi Rybren,
I took in consideration the internal piping.
its not bad at all since they are all connected together in-line.
so the top nozzle used a 90deg 1" then its 2x T's @ 1"
so 1" ( really more like 1-1/4" inside a 3" hole.
I tried it in reverse with a garden hose on full.. didnt even accumulate a bit at the bottom ( end cap )
then tried with a large 5gallon pail.. I wasn't able to drop it fast enough for it to accumulate.
I did successfully make a mess in the garage.. ahaahha

gives me about the same flow as 2x 1-1/2" holes ( when you add an internal fitting like a strainer )
so plenty for this tiny tank I think.

i'm thinking since I want to make the end cap the main water lever adjuster, I'll try and find some titanium set screws or some kind of hardened plastic since its submerged or just let its current friction do the job.

bt

How'd you deal with the siphon on power outage concerns with those returns?

liv

I have a one way valve ( check valve ) installed on the return pump.
also, the basic life systems will be running on a large ups. so should be quite safe.
at worse, I could install a drain from the sump to go to the house drain.
but i've had both first systems before and worked flawlessly.

bt

Fair enough.  I guess I'm a little too paranoid with potential mechanical failures to trust a check valve.

Rybren

Quote from: liv on January 26, 2012, 07:39:31 AM
i'm thinking since I want to make the end cap the main water lever adjuster, I'll try and find some titanium set screws or some kind of hardened plastic since its submerged or just let its current friction do the job.

If you can't find titanium, how about the nylon ones?  I suspect that it wouldn't take long for crud to build up between the pipe and endcap, so you likely wouldn't need great strength.  I suppose that if it is a tad too loose for friction to work, you could also give the pipe a wrap or two with the teflon plumbers tape.
120G Reef

Severum

I'm curious to find out what kind of noise your drain will make. From the looks of it, it won't be silent. Thats not an issue with some people.

Definitely some nice workmanship with the returns coming out of it. A+ :)
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef

liv

thanks for the comments : )

I will have to tweak the drain to lower the sound for sure.
I do like the sound of water splashing he he.. we'll see what will be needed.
I could easily add a baffle inside at the top and bottom.
or a piece of filter media inside the cap.. this will restrict flow..
I will also add a set of electric float switches on a relay in case the drain gets clogged.
i'll run that wiring through the drain and out of the end cap.

darkphreak

Looks real good Liv! Glad to see you get back into it. I'm in the same 'boat' as you, got a small 50g Cadlights system coming, miss the big beast but a small part of the ocean is still a part of it right...

xenon

Hey Liv!

I remember you. You came over to my house to drill my tank when I first started in the hobby. Glad your still around. :)

I am looking forward to this build. Those dimentions are killer!

Marx

Liv,

I moved over to Aylmer myself from Orleans!! you drilled my tank before too! i think you drove an Xterra at the time.

i live on the corner of vanier and Upper Aylmer road. by the cop shop!

we should hook up some time to see your tanks live!

liv

Hey Marx, sounds great : ) you'll have to refresh my memory.. I drilled soo many tanks over the years. I'm sure i'd remember you if I'd see you. I got a good visual memory.. but dont ask me about names of peoples lol
you know Njoy he's real close to you too.. he he.. he's on here too.

we should start exchanging frags soon he he.

UPDATE,
got a deal on a 24x24x16 this past weekend.. so picked it up.. cleaned it and installed some baffles : )
then I was able to plumb the rest of the tank.

I did run into a few issues since I didn't want to trim the 24x24x16.. it was too tight in there.. i ended up removing the bottom plywood ( thats a good thing as I would not have hold anything.. it held only in the corners with brad nails and was like 1/4" thick.. just for looks i think ) the rest of the stand is super strong.

then that was still not enough.. so I lifted the tank up with laminated 2x4's all around.
I know its fugly but its in an unfinished basement which i'm nowhere near close to complete.
so its good like that.
that gave me a good 12" inside over the tank to work.. so i can easily access the pumps, drain and skimmer etc.

I tried just running spaflex from the return to the pump but it did not have the required flex I needed ( an S shape within 20" ) so I got a bunch of 45deg sched40 1" fittings and attached all that. I left myself 1 connection by the down pipe that is not glued just pushed in hard so I can easily dismantle it ( i could have put an union there but would have cut on the flow ). then I installed a true union ball valve so i can service the pump easily. then after that installed the check valve and tested it. after that its a mag 9.5 which is ample for this little tank. over time I'll get that nice waveline dc pump with the variable controller that takes a wapping 40w to run.

now i'm looking for a deal on an xr30w, 2xmp40w and a apex controller, rodi setup...  the list is quite long..
oh.. i'll need some LR.. not alot.. i'm going for the naked look this time.. so maybe like 50lbs of LR should do.

here's a few pics.

liv

forgot to mention that I moved the tank to the basement.. not that I did not trust my plumbing but thing happen and I didn't want another mess on a nice new hardwood floor.. so tanks are in the basement only.

Edited for language.

bt

Looking good!

Sump definitely looks like a tight fit.  I don't envy you trying to work in that sump if you need to, but the extra water volume can be worth the trade-off I suppose.

Took me a moment to realize what the plumbing going over the baffle and into the water on both sides was  ;D

veron

LIV ;D never trust a check valve 8)  build a overflow. I like that shape of the tank bro. you can use the HERBIE or BEAN ANIMAL overflow. easy to setup.
The drain you have now is destined to plug when your not home.

liv

thanks guys.. i'll be modifying the overflow somewhat in the coming weeks..
I will also add a sec of electric float switches going to the pump.. so if it goes over a certain point.. the pump will stop.

liv

just for fun tonight. found a 70w ballast in my boxes and a bulb and a reflector.
tried it on the tank.. it looked good.
so thought of a way to make a cheap stand and setup that light for now.. until i get a deal on a lifi/lep/plasma or an xr30w ;)

got some 3/4" copper piping and a 3/4" T.. hooked all this up and painted it black.
I also painted the reflector housing black.
also added some aquarium sand... pure white.. its glowing its soo white.

liv

he he thanks bud  ;D
I have alot more work to do on it.
I figure i'm ~20% done.