New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Ich Precautions?

Started by Tanksalot, January 07, 2020, 06:43:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tanksalot

Im worried some cheap guppies from big als have introduced ich into my tank.  Ive never seen my fish scratch against the gravel before these guppies arrived. I separated the guppies that were scratching. Should I treat the water with something?

Filet_O_Fish

Separate all the guppies from the main tank immediately. Separate those guppies from each other also, sick looking ones and healthy, in separate tanks/containers.

I always quarantine new arrivals for 4-8weeks for this very issue. Its easier to treat sick fish in a side tank than to deal with an issue in your main tank(s) with many established fish.

Treatment depends on the type of fish and whether or not they will live through treatment. From what I remember the copper type treatments are most effective but have to be used perfectly and without invertebrates in the tank.

How many fish do you have in the tank and how large is the tank? If it is a low number of fish, separating the fish into smaller tanks/containers and treating when visible signs show can be the best option. The originating tank will not be infectious after about 2-4 days as the parasite needs a host to survive.

Also, if all the inhabitants of the tank can survive 30C temperatures you can essentially burn out the parasite.

Ich usually presents itself relatively quickly. Do you see any white spots around the gills, nose, or mouth? Have any pics?

The first time I got shrimp my wife asked "How big do they get and can you eat them?"

Tanksalot

Absolutely no visible signs of ich. Just very occasional scratching up against things.  Its a 20 long with shrimp, Cory cats, asian stone cats, a kuhli loach and a L333 king tiger pleco.

Filet_O_Fish

Have you noticed any changes over the last few days? Usually ich would have made itself known by now (white specs) as its life cycle is relatively short in warm waters.

Fish can also flash when there are chemical water changes (like high ammonia irritating gills, PH change, etc) or fungal infections.

Be sure to check the fish every day.

The first time I got shrimp my wife asked "How big do they get and can you eat them?"

Gowalkitoff

Check your ph.  Have any driftwood?  My jack dempsey does this when my ph drops too low.  I have driftwood but i have to keep some cruahed coral in my filter otherwise my ph is a trainwreck

Tanksalot

Alright thanks guys. Still no visible Ich.  Yes, I've Always have driftwood in the tank. Tested some parameters.  AMMONIA: 0,  NITRATE: 0,  PH: 7.6.