New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Disinfect worms infected quarantine tank

Started by Guybeaux, April 09, 2020, 10:35:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guybeaux

I've posted a topic earlier last month about my 10 gal quarantine tank being suddenly infested with almost microscopic worms after introducing 4 new Cory Panda.
I've been adding fresh water aquarium salt with every water change (once and twice a week) but I'm still stuck with the worms.  I've lost all the Pandas except one but at this rate I don't think it will live long.
After which I plan to empty the tank.
Would soaking the gravel and decor in a Javex/water mix be the way to go ?
If yes, what would be the proper javex/water concentration mix ?
Or should I start with new gravel and boil my decor ?
Any other thoughts or suggestions.

Filet_O_Fish

It would be really hard to remove remaining bleach solution from gravel or stone decorations. You can either boil or bake the gravel and rock decorations. Be aware that heat can crack stone.

You can also bake woodwork after it has been laid out to dry for a time. Watch it to make sure it doesn't burn.

For plastic decorations usually the only way to clean them is to use a 1 cup per 3 litres bleach to water solution. Scrub and then let soak for a day. Lots, lots, and lots of rinsing is needed along with a day of soaking in declorinator, with more rinsing and air drying for a week.

I've only had to do this once thankfully.
The first time I got shrimp my wife asked "How big do they get and can you eat them?"

HayleYoyo

Hydrogen peroxide. It's cheap, and it breaks down into Oxygen and water. You can find lots ways to do that online.

If you use bleach, make sure it's 100% and has no soap, scents or additives. Once you're done the treatment, wash it well with water, then you can use dechlorinator to remove any remaining bleach

lucius

If it's a quarantine tank, maybe get rid of the gravel and décor completely?

Guybeaux

Thanks for the advise. Javex / water mix it will be.
As for my single remaining Cory Panda, I might transfer him into my 3.5 gal Hospital tank and keep an eye on that tank to see if I get or not worms and if no sign of it after a couple weeks I may finally transfer him in my Discus tank.

Black_Rose

bergenm

Sounds like nematodes, they are pretty common in shrimp tanks. Normally in fish tanks they get eating when they are swimming around, but since you only had cories the nematodes would be mostly left alone.

Removing the gravel from the hospital tank would help, as well as feeding less.
Michael

Guybeaux

Last update. After loosing my last Cory Panda, I've decided to bleach everything, leaving the gravel in.
I've added 3/4 cup of Javel in about 4 gallons of water. I've let it sit for two weeks than I've rinsed everything and let it soak in fresh water for another two week than rince it with the garden hose again. Same for filter except the bio wheel which I've let it dried out. This past week I felt it was time to started it again adding 1/2 and 1/2 water from my Discus tank and new water.
Guess what ? the damn worms were back. 😡
Now I got rid of the gravel and everything is soaking in a boiling 1/2 and 1/2 vinegar/water mix. (Plastic decor & filter)
Next time I wont put any gravel back and leave it bare bottom.
To be follow