New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Does this look like fin rott?

Started by HayleYoyo, May 09, 2020, 10:23:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HayleYoyo

tanksalot360

I honestly can't tell from the photos, but the fins often fall apart more than what it looks like. If the edging is white it more likely is fin rot.
If you see black edges, it's usually a sign of healing, after getting snagged on something. But it's common for fish to grow their fins which can start out clear and they colour in after.
Natural remedies include indian almond leaves, water changes or just improving water quality with chemical media.
And I'd also recommend a prefilter sponge on the filter intake.

HayleYoyo

Her fins usually have a white rim to them, but that's more her colouring.

It's usually a very smooth line, but it looks more jagged.

I Installed a canister to the tank, I think the high flow might have hurt her. Is that common?

I lower the flow, and faced the return pipe to face upward, so it doesn't create a lot of flow

Mike L

I'm assuming the filter has been sized to the tank. Putting output to flow along the surface is good as it will increase araetion. Fish do need current. Plus by the time the direct current hits the opposing wall it's dissipated anyway. I wouldn't worry about the fins. They will heal. It's likely stress induced.

HayleYoyo

The canister is really over sized.

I've lowered the out put considerably since I say her fins.

Originally I was only connecting it to the small tank, to seed it before I move them to a properly sized take, with the filter.

As you can see in this photo from a couple months ago, her fins were way less jagged.

So you think it's from the stress of the filter?

Mike L

How are you lowering the flow. I have 3 cans and they don't have flow controls
Why not put the fish in the tank they are going in? Why wait?

HayleYoyo

My canister has a flow controller.

It's my kids tank. The whole point is that it's a project for use to get together. And they can't come over until after quarantine

Now that I'm fairly sure it's the flow, I might just put the old filter back on.

But if it's not the flow, moving them to less established tabk might make things worse.

Do you think it could be anything else?

HayleYoyo

bergenm

Just my opinion, but if the filter was over-powering the betta she would be hiding in the corners to get out of the flow.

I would lean towards her fins getting caught on the lava rock (or plastic plants), her fins getting sucked into the filter intake, or another fish is nipping at her fins.

On a side note, I would remove the homemade pottery from the tank, if they are not tank-safe they can leach chemicals or alter the water chemistry.

To answer your original question, I don't think she has fin rot but her fins do look torn up.
Michael