New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

30g extra long!

Started by wrm130, November 04, 2012, 10:04:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrm130

Quote from: fischkopp on November 06, 2012, 12:21:13 PM
I have seen apisto females developing male features after dominated males passed away. But in most cases they would not look like a mature male. Not sure if they change sex fully, not what triggers it; it remains one of the stranges things I experienced. I have seen this with three different apisto species.

I think the tank is big enough to house several apisto. 2-3 pairs for smaller/calmer apisto species should find enough space. It depends a bit on the personality of the apisto I find. If in doubt, add more. Bigger numbers are always better as aggression is spread over more individuals.

I'm assuming I'd be better off adding multiple females for each type in the tank? More males=more fights?

Quote from: Fishnut on November 06, 2012, 01:22:36 PM
I LOVE  my tank of that size!!!  I wish I could have more.  I think they sell them at BA's?

I agree in the lighting comment.  I think 4 would be too much for a tank of that depth. 

Looking forward to seeing it develop!

Thank you!  And I keep hearing that my lighting is too much.  I BELIEVE you all and thank you all for the advice and help.  It's funny, the more good advice I get, the more determined I am to make it work my way.

I will humbly accept an "I told you so" from each and every member that warned me, when and if this tank goes green and brown and hairy.

Stay tuned, I update frequently.

wrm130

Here's how it looked this afternoon.  Still crazy cloudy but better than yesterday.  I used 4 biomax pellets from another tank.

wrm130

Day 3. Getting there.  Need more plants.  Still waiting on my canister.

wrm130

Another update.  More plants.  Reading: .25 nitrite.  Come on, come on, come on!!!! ;)  Hopefully picking up my 2nd set of bulbs tomorrow as well as a canister.

dbl_dbl

Looks great dude. The pics don't do it justice!

Thanks for the plants too

wrm130

No worries, I'll have more soon hopefully.  Thanks for the compliment.  Got my canister setup today as well as an additional 2 bulbs, which I'm running:p  I said I'd wait but meh.  Tank basically looks the same, but brighter.  Reading .25 nitrite.  Waiting impatiently.

First residents are going to be shrimp to clean things up a bit.  will post a pic in the next few days

Fishnut

You know what would look great on the left hand side next to the glass?  A Red Tiger Lotus plant  ;D

wrm130

I planted some moneywort in the back left corner...for a friend. long story.

I think I have a red lotus starting in another tank that I could move...Unless you're offering?   ;)

wrm130

Tank finished cycling!!!  Shrimp and snails tomorrow!!!  Doubtfully, but possibly a fish.  Probably not.  Pics tomorrow.

wrm130

Shrimp in.  And, I couldnt resist. Fish in.  Two pics.  Enjoy.

I'll be picking out snails to add at random over the next few days from other tanks as well.  Everything but assassins!!!

wrm130

update.
1x apisto
shrimps
ramshorn and pond snails
4 SAE

Plants are growing well.  Slight green layer on center rocks.  Things are going well:)

76brian

Looking really good... Is that frogbit you have on the surface?

Fishnut

Quote from: wrm130 on November 12, 2012, 05:57:50 PM
I planted some moneywort in the back left corner...for a friend. long story.

I think I have a red lotus starting in another tank that I could move...Unless you're offering?   ;)

HA!! Sorry, I only have one and I love it!!

Looking good!!

wrm130

Quote from: 76brian on November 18, 2012, 01:52:32 PM
Looking really good... Is that frogbit you have on the surface?

It is Salvinia:)  As the tank is not tall I went with a floating plant that doesnt develop super long hanging roots.

Quote from: Fishnut on November 18, 2012, 01:54:25 PM
HA!! Sorry, I only have one and I love it!!

Looking good!!

Well :P  Keep it:)  Glad you like it!  Thanks for cudos and checkin in:)

wrm130

I'm happy with things so far.fish seem to be doing well:-)

wrm130