New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

overflow box

Started by 10gnano, March 28, 2011, 01:40:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

10gnano

was wondering if anyone knew where I could get an overflow box for my tank. I have been using a regulated syphon, but it does no top skimming.

SWFitzy

an overflow box is really easy to make out of glass or acrylic. I do believe that Az sells them, and can either make or get made exactly what u need. Im sure all of the other LFS have them too.

JetJumper

I was looking into this not to long ago for one of my tanks that I don't want to drill.

I had looked at these:
http://www.skimz.sg/overflow_box.html

Ray just started carrying them.  Looks like a well built unit.
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

bitterman

I am in no way a fan of overflow boxes. If you pick it up, I think I have one at home you can have. PM me and we can deal with things later in the week. I will not be going home before the meeting otherwise I would have brought it for you.

Drilling is the easiest way to minimize the chance of a flood.

Bruce

Darth

why are overflows so bad? I do not have a drilled tank either and have also been contimplating one as well. Can you elaborate on this?

Malyon18

From my knowledge if you lose the syphon well then all the water in your sump will be pumped into your tank and well you know what happens when the tank is full, the living room floor becomes the new tank :)
"Friends Don't Let Friends Go Plastic Reef"

ray

Just like a drilled tank,if you do not set up a sump and overflow box to the proper levels you will always risk overflowing either the sump or the tank.

Ray

C-Dog

Im sure theres tons of people that have used overflow boxes and have never had any issues with them.

Hookup

Quote from: C-Dog on March 28, 2011, 06:55:13 PM
Im sure theres tons of people that have used overflow boxes and have never had any issues with them.

I had one for about two years... Older setup...  It flooded my apartment, but even still, it wasn't a HUGE, but it was wet...

They work, but are as close to gaurenteed to fail as you can get...

laffy

do your homework if your going to setup an overflow box as they can be very frustrating. an aqualifter pump can work miracles in case you loose power. the suction will still be created and help minimize the risk of any accidents.

bitterman

Overflow boxes have a habit of loosing siphon when this occurs, your tank will overflow onto the floor.

Many over flow boxes today use a power head to suck the air out of the siphon chamber. this does increase reliability but this is still a chance.

If you are goign to do overflow boxes, get 2 each should handle the full flow of the tank. The same applies to a drilled tank. Got with 2 holes were possible... that way if one get plugged or fails, the other will take the full flow of the tank so you do not have a flood.

Good luck,
    Bruce

leemay

can't all of this be avoided by sizing your return pump section properly?

if my drains instantly became plugged my return pump would suck in air and stop pumping before my tank overflows!

i thought the only way this could fail would be if the sump baffle fails.

Bob P

Quote from: ray on March 28, 2011, 06:50:46 PM
Just like a drilled tank,if you do not set up a sump and overflow box to the proper levels you will always risk overflowing either the sump or the tank.

Ray
Pretty sure that's right.
As Ray suggests.
The overflow box should also be at proper level, like 1/4 inch
below waterline, to suck air quick, before sump can overflow if pump quits.
It's all the same as drilled IMO

ryancarman.com

Quote from: leemay on March 29, 2011, 06:59:18 PM
can't all of this be avoided by sizing your return pump section properly?

if my drains instantly became plugged my return pump would suck in air and stop pumping before my tank overflows!

i thought the only way this could fail would be if the sump baffle fails.

the water level in your return section varies with evap (unless you are running an auto top up system) and i would argue you would probably spend your life adding water to keep your pump submerged and no too much water in your return at the same time,

leemay

Quote from: ryancarman.com on May 09, 2011, 09:37:01 AM
the water level in your return section varies with evap (unless you are running an auto top up system) and i would argue you would probably spend your life adding water to keep your pump submerged and no too much water in your return at the same time,

yes,  my system tops off 4 x per day.

I figured everybody had some type of top off system.

yes it may be difficult with no top off system, but it would remind you by putting lots off bubbles in you display! haha!

ryancarman.com

Quote from: leemay on May 09, 2011, 03:49:44 PM
yes,  my system tops off 4 x per day.

I figured everybody had some type of top off system.

yes it may be difficult with no top off system, but it would remind you by putting lots off bubbles in you display! haha!

yeah my top off system involves carrying buckets of water and pouring them into the sump, i keep a pail on the ready and i add about 2.5 gallons every few days

NanoSF

You can always use two siphon overflows that can handle enough water to keep up with your return pump on their own. Meaning if one loses siphon the other can still siphon enough water to stay ahead of the return pump. The odds of losing both siphons at the same time must be near impossible.