New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Shallow reef tanks

Started by dakrazyone, March 04, 2012, 09:22:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dakrazyone

Here is a sneak peak at what i received yesterday. Don't want to give up to much details until i get better shots, tons of things to do before i get to fill them. Enjoy.

NanoSF

And so it begins. Can't wait to see the system going.

Hookup

Hookup

dakrazyone

haha i wish, this weekend i will be starting the wiring of outlets, any framing needed for the basement, building the stands and hopefully plumbing of the tanks.  A long list awaits and as with every aspect of this hobby (mostly patience), so tons of pictures will be taken.  But for now here are the specs:

2 tanks - rimless
48 x 30 x 12 with overflow
1.5" drain and 1" return

tank 1 - LPS/Softies/Shrooms
2x maxijet 1200 (3 way models)
6 or 8 bulb t5 + 2x reefbrites (more depth in color)

tank 2 - SPS
2x maxijet 1200 (3 way models) - temporary until i can decide on either mp40 or wave box
2x AI Sol's (debating on MH setup but slim atm)

Both tanks will be plumbed to a 90+ sump, depending on skimmer and return. Any thoughts of brand/model? I'm leaning towards Super Reef Octopus 3000XP or vertex.  Plans are to have it barebottom on black eggcrate (algae/slime proof?).

For return pump either ehiem 1262 (great reviews, low noise) or Water blaster.  Ehiem is preferred because water blaster would be same brand pump as the SRO 3000XP, so i rather not have to replace both skimmer and return if they are not performing well (crap out).  Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated, sorry for long post  ;D

matycake

Ou that gonna be really nice can't wait to see more

kole18

dakrazyone

these tanks will be my test tanks, whatever mistakes i make or adjustments i think i should have made in the beginning will be used for the other 2 tanks :) YES, 2 more! Hopefully by spring.

kole18

Hey bro, so what's the plan for 75g since you've got 3 tank?

dakrazyone

i will most likely sell it, it is taking up all the space in my dining room hahaha

dakrazyone

Here's the work in progress, almost there.  ;D

Hookup

i think i got a 1/2 pack of Rolaids in my shorts just looking at that update...  LOL

kole18

Nice man, where's the rest hehehe looking forward to see what's next :)

Darth

its like a strip tease, you keep hoping to see something LOL

dakrazyone

Not bad for 1 days work, only have the weekends to work on the setup. Need to do the plumbing for the tanks. Anyone know where to get spaflex? Also, need to get a return pump so hopefully I can do a full leak test. Once the leak test is done I will drain and do the baffles for the sump. Kole, Rome wasn't built in a day, patience

Hookup

what return pump are you looking at?

and spaflex can be bought at lowes i believe.. pm fishdaddy as I think he has some in his basement... lol

dakrazyone

I think I will go with water blaster HY12500.

fishdaddy

Quote from: Hookup on March 10, 2012, 09:52:28 PM
what return pump are you looking at?

and spaflex can be bought at lowes i believe.. pm fishdaddy as I think he has some in his basement... lol
I think I have more than spa flex!!
If you are going anything more than 10' I would go with a tarpon return,it's what I use.

fishdaddy

This is one build I am looking forward to reading, as I am going to start a shallow build soon!!
Great luck to you.