New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

New 75 Gallon Reef

Started by blizzack1, May 14, 2012, 02:29:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blizzack1

Hi guys,

You may remember me from my previous thread, the 48 gallon rimless build:

http://ovas.ca/forum/index.php?topic=53103.0

Unfortunately, it never really got off the ground as the seal was starting to break down and I had to get a new tank and stand.

Well, my wife has almost finished building my stand (just need to get the doors on), and I recently picked up the 75 gallon.

My last order of business, I think, before filling it is to paint the back of the tank, so I'm looking for some input:

- What colour people go with?
- What type of paint?  I used Krylon on my last tank, but would probably prefer a non-spray alternative, as we are in an apartment
- Benefits of not painting the back

The reason I'm looking to paint is to help hide the black heater / wires / pumps running into the tank.

Thanks a lot!

blizzack1

Sorry about the size of the photo, but here is the tank and stand:

Hookup

definitely a begining!

that size take is one of my fav...  the proportions are just perfect without being a monster tank...

DrReefer

Nice build !! I got a piece of black vinyl from a local graphics shop and stuck it on to the rear side of my tank !! Just spray on some watter so it wont make bubbles and flatten it out with a credit card to push the watter out the edges ! Great way to make a nice background :)

I love the black but allot of people like to have ocean blue or other kind of blue colors, I prefer black but that's my choice ;)

blizzack1

Quote from: Hookup on May 14, 2012, 02:41:55 PM
definitely a begining!

that size take is one of my fav...  the proportions are just perfect without being a monster tank...

Call me crazy, but I think it looks good empty :D

I think you're bang-on about the proportions.

blizzack1

Quote from: DrReefer on May 14, 2012, 02:59:53 PM
Nice build !! I got a piece of black vinyl from a local graphics shop and stuck it on to the rear side of my tank !! Just spray on some watter so it wont make bubbles and flatten it out with a credit card to push the watter out the edges ! Great way to make a nice background :)

I love the black but allot of people like to have ocean blue or other kind of blue colors, I prefer black but that's my choice ;)

I had black on my old tank, which was good with the green plants... but most fish shops and people that post have a blue background of some sort... I figured painting it again was the easiest way to go, because I'm not sure how confident I am of doing a good enough job with vinyl or something similar :)

Severum

I've had both blue and black backgrounds and prefer black. Plus it'll match the trim of the tank.  ;)
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef

bt

I left the back of my tank clear.  It will be covered in coralline soon enough anyways!

xenon

Get yourself some vinyl for the bg. Paint is way too messy.

Just use a spray bottle with water and a little dish soap and soak the glass before you apply the vinyl and work the water/bubbles out with a credit card.

Keep in mind that a blue bg will look different under 10K lighting than it does under 20k so choose the color accordingly. :)

What are your plans for flow, lightning, filtration?

DrReefer

Quote from: blizzack1 on May 14, 2012, 03:13:54 PM
I had black on my old tank, which was good with the green plants... but most fish shops and people that post have a blue background of some sort... I figured painting it again was the easiest way to go, because I'm not sure how confident I am of doing a good enough job with vinyl or something similar :)

Yea I was kind of scared to but hey at 15$ a piece of vinyl you cant go wrong !! Paint is messy and under the lights It can seem to be uneven depending on the paint / # of coats etc ... I have done it once on the tank and I would only use watter and no dish soap as you actually see the side that is sticky instead of the soft side like most vinyls are made to be used . Its okay to use soap on the sticky side when that surface wont be seen like a decal on a car. Sometime it will react with the sticky side and make ugly colors!

sas

Quote from: blizzack1 on May 14, 2012, 03:12:36 PM
Call me crazy, but I think it looks good empty :D

:D :D Thanks for the chuckle, :)

Feivel

Just like that what is the white thing under the tank? And are you planning on using styrofoam to easy any uneveness or "shocks" from creating stress points and cracking the tank? Imo anything over 50g should have some

az

AQUA VALLEY    
1158 Ogilvie Road, Ottawa

2016 Hours
Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri >> 12-7pm
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532  
www.aquavalley.ca

Ottawa's BIGGEST SALTWATER Selection

Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532     www.aquavalley.ca

blizzack1

Quote from: xenon on May 14, 2012, 03:45:42 PM

What are your plans for flow, lightning, filtration?

Unfortunately, all my previous research was for my 48 gallon tank... so I kind of have to start over for this.

For flow, I wanted to try and get away with a single vortech pump to minimize cables/heat/noise... everything I read tells me I need two MP40s, which is just not in the budget (at least up-front).  I looked into a wavemaker, but read/heard mixed results...

For lighting, I am waiting for the Interzoo show this week, where a bunch of companies are supposed to be releasing their new LED offerings... whatever is coming out soon and will meet my needs for under $1000 is what I will get...

For filtration, I have a HOB skimmer (Octopus BH 1000), but I bought that when I had ad 46 gallon, and I'm wondering if it will be big enough now.

So, as you can see, still some work to do.  Suggestions welcome.

blizzack1

Quote from: Feivel on May 14, 2012, 09:16:09 PM
Just like that what is the white thing under the tank? And are you planning on using styrofoam to easy any uneveness or "shocks" from creating stress points and cracking the tank? Imo anything over 50g should have some

To be honest, I was pretty handsoff on the stand build... my wife followed some plans from one of the reefsites and then added some extra reinforcements.  I hadn't considered needing anything under it, unfortunately.  It is wood underneath right now - not sure how removable it is.  Is this a real issue?

Feivel

The wood is perfect just add some styrofoam between it and the tank to absorb the pin points. 1000lbs is a lot of weight.

I use a bh 1ooo on a 75 display and 30 sump. About 100gal total volume. I dont see any problems but I am looking at upgrading to a 150g in sump skimmer when budget lets me. I,should,post some pics of my custom stand for ya :-)

blizzack1

Quote from: Feivel on May 15, 2012, 02:34:16 PM
The wood is perfect just add some styrofoam between it and the tank to absorb the pin points. 1000lbs is a lot of weight.

I use a bh 1ooo on a 75 display and 30 sump. About 100gal total volume. I dont see any problems but I am looking at upgrading to a 150g in sump skimmer when budget lets me. I,should,post some pics of my custom stand for ya :-)

I assume the styrofoam can be pretty thin?

Feivel

Update?

Sorry for the late reply. I used 2" pink hard styrofoam (pink panther stuff) its what was available at a side job I was doing. Some peoe use the 1" white foam (like the stuff you pull out of a new package or box) as long as it makes an absorbtion style cushion.

Picture a pebble on a table. Put a piece of glass on top of it.    ...... Now add 1000lbs :-)
What do you think now? I realise your table is clean but metaphoricaly speaking of course lol

JetJumper

I use 1/2" styro or so.. its only meant to take out the minor imperfections..
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

Saltcreep

I've really downsized lately, but always liked the painted back look. I always used Tremclad brush-on. Dark Blue for me but they have lots of choices.

Good luck!