New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Frag tank/ sump in basement

Started by bandit, January 15, 2013, 01:03:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wooki

Quote from: bandit on January 17, 2013, 10:27:15 PM
I ended up buying a iwaki today http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/iwaki-md-30rt-japanese-motor-510-gph.html

Hope it works has 17 foot head only I measured 10 feet  I need

Good choice for an external
180g mixed reef,
Mostly LPS with some SPS.
powder blue tang, Desjardin's sailfin tang, mandarin goby, clowns, lots of inverts

bandit

yeah i am a bit nervous now, think i should of went bigger. Read the install and it sez keep the pump a minimum of 12" below water source??? I dont have the room

bandit

Hooked everything up, ended up getting the iwaki 40 rt has 21 foot head. Well it's got a lot of power I have to reduce the flow by about 60 percent with a ball valve. The pump pumps more then my 1.5" return can handle.

Here is a pic of the frag tank so far, now I need start fragging

Thanks Barabe for the awesome yellow tang.

Wooki

Quote from: bandit on January 27, 2013, 07:09:38 PM
Hooked everything up, ended up getting the iwaki 40 rt has 21 foot head. Well it's got a lot of power I have to reduce the flow by about 60 percent with a ball valve. The pump pumps more then my 1.5" return can handle.

Nice.  Where's your skimmer?  One could separate the sump from the frag tank.  Put your reactors and skimmer in the sump.  Then you could redirect some of the flow from your display tank to your frag tank or use it to run some of your reactors.
180g mixed reef,
Mostly LPS with some SPS.
powder blue tang, Desjardin's sailfin tang, mandarin goby, clowns, lots of inverts

bandit

Lol it's below in the sump the the flow is pumped from sump to display then drains from display to frag tang then to sump.

bandit

I'm thinking of Teeing off the pump line and running some reactors or just for more low in the frag gtank

Aquaticfinatic

Looking good  ;) it's the biggest frag tank I've seen.

bandit

Lol, unfortunately it's already not big enough.