New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Hello, Allo !

Started by magnosis, December 10, 2009, 02:51:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magnosis

Hey, I'm new here.  Site was recommended from a nice lady at Critters Jungle this evening.  She apparently doesn't like chocolate (sigh, that was the pinnacle of my bargaining technique!)  8)

I'm soon going to setup my first 50 (or 40.. or 55) tank, moving from two 10g tanks I've had for four years.
My 3 fancy goldfishes have gone from 1" to 6.5-7" during that time. They are obviously very cramped in there.

I'm hoping to pick your brains a little bit before I go purchase stuff ;D

1. I would like to eventually add new fish with the above.  Must I stick with new goldfish of similar sizes, or is there other breeds I should/could look at ?

2. Would 50g be a good size ? Would it accommodate my 3 goldfish plus, say, another of similar size or a few smaller ones ?

3. What should guide my decision between 36"x18"x18" vs 48"x13"x18.5" ?  I wonder if goldfish prefer longer straight distances, or more perimeter ... Or do they not care at all and it's just a matter of aesthetics / personal taste ?

4. I would like to eventually get live plants going. But only once I get the new bigger tank under control and stable and know I like it.  Should that require special care at this point ? like type of substrate, amount of substrate, tank height, or other factors that should influence a choice and initial setup of tank ?

Thanks in advance.
I know these must have been asked hundreds of time, I just can't piece it together. There's many things to consider; oh the joy of being newbie and learning something ;)

Cheers
--
Antoine

Vincenzo.

holachicka

Welcome to OVAS - I am sure you will enjoy your time here!

zima

Welcome to OVAS! Feel free to pick our brains any time - there are lots of those around for picking.

OttawaFolkFestivum

Antoine, welcome to OVAS.

Your questions are the same ones that we all go over at some point in time, so don't worry about asking. I'm pretty sure most people here are mulling over similar design questions.

Here are a couple of comments -

- I'm not keeping goldfish, but I understand they are cold / cooler water. Are you currently running a heater? What's your water temperature? If you are not running a heater, I would stick that way. It's one less piece of gear in the tank, and considerable cost savings on electricity.

- I would go with the 4 ft tank. When you go planted, the bulbs are cheaper since you pay the same amount for a 3ft as for a 4ft, and get the same wattage. Also, you would be good with a 2-bulb fixture for the 4 ft, but might need 3 or 4 bulb for the 3 foot length.

- 4 foot give longer swim distance, and also take up more of your field of view (better viewing).

- Wider tanks are an advantage if you are building rock structures (african chiclids, etc). Basically, you can more easily, safely stack up a bunch of rocks, and the fish still have room to swim.

- re: planted; do some web searching for best plants for goldfish. You don't see goldfish in the more ornate planted tanks presumably because they are 'dirty' - lots of waste and feeding. But goldfish are cool, so keep em and just get the right plants. You'll be limited, but just make it work.

- Substrate for plants: basic options are eco complete, fluorite, or mineralized top soil. Google the latter and you'll find a tutorial. I can provide more info if you go that route. The commercial options of substrate will cost about $150 for a 55G tank.

- I would start right away with some low-light plants. Java Fern does well with pretty much any fish, and is low-light.

- The important thing is to get started! Get those fish in a bigger tank and continue your learning.

- Get a Python cleaning hose (attaches to faucet).

- Look out for boxing day sales for aquariums.

- Don't get too deep of a tank so that you can't reach the bottom easily with your arm.

Cheers, Steve

magnosis

Thanks so much for the feedback :)

My tank is well under way now !

Stuff I purchased over the holidays :

Used, still in boxes:
- 60G Hagen tank 47x16x20  (used)
- T5HO dual 54w fixture + 10000K + 6700K bulbs  (used)
- Fluval 305 pump  (used)
- Hagen stand made specifically for the tank  (used)

New, from Big Al's on Dec 26th:
- 88 pounds of gravel, incl 20 of Flourite for the planted areas
- bunch of rocks and driftwood
- 100$+ worth of plastic plants (I'll return most of 'em)
- 25" Python (actually an Aqueon)
- 1yr worth of Zero-Carb for the filter
- Rite-Size fine blue floss for polishing
- Black background and this great stuff they have to make it stick to the glass.
- 6-bottle freshwater test kit
- Plant fertilizer (pellets)
- Plant: Anubias something (the bigger one)
- Plant: Anubias Nana
- Plant: Java Fern
- Plant: Java Moss

I'm still setting up the whole lot, documenting and taking step-by-step pictures as I go. Will post all of it in a week or so when it's up and running.

So far:
- Setup the Fluval filter on existing live 10G tank to prime it and start growing bacterias inside
- Setup the stand, put the new tank on it - some heavy lifting when you're on your own !
- Rinsed the tank
- Rinsed the gravel (took me 2 hours, but necessary, was very dusty)
- Sawed, sanded, rinsed and soaked the wood
- Rinsed and soaked the rocks
- Move live plants in temporary tank with water, gravel and fertilizer
- Layout the bigger rocks and driftwood, took pictures to remember where they go
- Lay down a river-bed of lighter colored gravel
- Ran back to Big Al's for more gravel (I started out with just 63 pounds, definitely not enough)
- Put back the bigger rocks
- Added makeshift placeholders (*)

(*) I'm laying out small hills in the corners, and this requires piles of valuable gravel.  So I placed some clean, empty CD cases underneath that use space (volume) in lieu of gravel that I can use somewhere else ;)

I'll keep posting a little later.
Cheers, and Happy New Year to all !!

EDIT:  I realize this sort of post doesn't belong here. Follow ups will be made in a new thread somewhere more appropriate ;)