New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

octopus tank ?

Started by matycake, January 26, 2012, 03:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matycake

Alright so with a lot of thinking I've decided to put my biocube on the back burner for now and start to build a tank for an octopus the tank will have to be sealed well so the bugger doesn't get out I don't wanna go with a huge tank seeing as I will only be getting one small  size octopus which only grows up to 4" I'm thinking how maybe a 33gallon

JetJumper

Please don't mistake getting a Blue Ring Octopus if you see one in a store.  They do come in sometimes and even though they stay small, they are extremely deadly.  Just a word of warning.
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

Stussi613

Wow, I'd never heard of the blue ringed octopus until you posted JetJumper...but I think your advice is great considering this little snippet from the internets:

"The blue-ringed octopus, despite its small size, carries enough venom to kill 26 adult humans within minutes. Furthermore, their bites are tiny and often painless, with many victims not realizing they have been envenomated until respiratory depression and paralysis start to set in."

I haz reef tanks.

Severum

The other thing to consider is some ocotpuses (octopi?) are nocturnal so you might not end up seeing your dude very much.
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef

moused

Quote from: matycake on January 26, 2012, 03:27:17 PM
... to be sealed well ...
(i'm talking from reading alot on them - i was thinking of getting one.)
I hope you really know what this means....you will really have to think about this.
They can get out of extremely small holes.
Think on how your going to do filtration.
Do alot of reading on this for it's tricker then just water perimeters.

also they need entertainment as well.
They don't live long in capivity (1-1.5 years max)...so you'll have to think about price point too...
Anyway...if i where you i'd find someone that has one and ask a million questions.
IMO.

kole18

I've once saw octopus at big al's not really sure if this were from last yr all I know it's in a small box. I know pat OI used to have a octopus remember those time have to come at his place buying frag. Hmm octopus whatta exsotic pet. I was thinking about building a predator tank once I move back in Europe maybe a couple of sharks & sting ray some groupers. Boy atleast you need a tank like at big als maybe in the basement :)

Hookup

i saw octopus at each of the two big-als a while back.  they had them in cricket cages in their tanks. 

one was doing fine.. the other had been attacked and eaten by emeralds.  he/she had stuck it's arms out of all of the spaces in the cage and the emeralds marched over and chowed down...  very sad to see... the fish-dude ran over and tried to help but it was too far gone.

no idea on how to keep these guys alive... but they are +10 on the cool factor.

matycake

For sure there cool.. But I want to to it right so I will be taking my time and doing a lot of reading on theme before a starts anything,

delslo

Quote from: Hookup on January 30, 2012, 04:26:21 PM
i saw octopus at each of the two big-als a while back.  they had them in cricket cages in their tanks. 

one was doing fine.. the other had been attacked and eaten by emeralds.  he/she had stuck it's arms out of all of the spaces in the cage and the emeralds marched over and chowed down...  very sad to see... the fish-dude ran over and tried to help but it was too far gone.

no idea on how to keep these guys alive... but they are +10 on the cool factor.

I was that fish guy, It never turned around.

Hookup

Quote from: delslo on January 30, 2012, 10:00:11 PM
I was that fish guy, It never turned around.

Well, you certainly tried bud.  It's just one of those things I guess.

delslo

It was pretty mangled by the time I got there

redbelly

I have kept an octopus before.
I used an acrylic tank with a secure lid and plumbed the tank into my main system. There is a sp. from the caribbean that stays very small which is what I would probably recomend unless you are planning on putting in a sump. If you do plumb in a sump you need to put strainers on the overflow and on the return lines. I glued mine inplace with the theory that if they can open a jar they can probably unscrew a strainer and they definately like to go in pipes.

Only issue with the caribbean variety is that they are super small and will be very hard to see in the tank given how reclusive they are. I would probably consider building a macro algae tank with a few rocks pipes and bottles for hiding places. Then when it does not want to be seen you have a nice planted tank to look at.

They are CRAZY strong and will easily lift the lid on a biocube or anyother tank.

Octopus are not easy creatures to keep.
Plus as pointed out many sp do not live very long plus you have zero idea how old it is when you get it.
You may get it and it may lay eggs in the first 3 months wich is a bit of a good and bad thing. The octopi is at the end of its live but you may also be able to raise a whole pile of babies!
Mine laid eggs near the end but I had already had it for well over 3 months and the eggs were infertile.