New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Fighting angelfish

Started by Karen03, August 28, 2021, 04:41:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karen03

Hello.
I have what I think is too much fighting among my angelfish. I have 4 freshwater angelfish (Pterophyllum scalare) in my 125 gallon community tank. I've had two for one year, two for 6 months. There's always been a bit of fighting between two of them. Now three of them seem to be fighting most of the time.

How much fighting is too much? There are no injuries coming out of this bullying. Also, the four of them always hang out together. They have a favourite corner of this 6 foot tank that they are always in. All four of them. Always. It's like my kids decided to hang out in the living room all day to fight with each other and I can't send them to their rooms. I want to say (in exasperation) "If he's making you so angry, why don't you go to the other side of the tank!?"

I think it may be time to think about rehoming. What do you recommend as rehoming options? e.g. posting in this forum's classifieds? Kijiji or Facebook Marketplace?

I look forward to your advice.
TIA. Karen

lucius

Have you tried re-arranging your scape?  This is to create new areas so that all four need to re-claim territory and breaking the line of sight between them.

Karen03

Thanks for the advice, Lucius. I did a massive pruning and that helped. I think the plants have been gradually taking over and I didn't realize how plants were restricting fish movement.

The four angels are now spread out across the entire tank and the worst bullied guy can get some relief.

The worst bully is still more of a bully than I think I want in my tank. I would appreciate opinions on the best ways to rehome fish.

TIA!
Karen

exv152

I have 15 angelfish in separate tanks, and there is always some pecking and pushing around going on. It usually gets worse when two have paired off and are intending to spawn. If you notice some are cleaning a vertical surface on the glass, or on a filter tube, heater etc, then that's clearly spawning behaviour and it will pass and the aggression will subside.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g