New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

2007/2008 Program and beyond.

Started by beowulf, September 13, 2007, 08:16:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beowulf

Hello all my fellow fish nuts!!!  As your program director for the upcoming OVAS season I have been working hard to find some amazing speakers both locally and beyond.  This being said I am also willing to listen to what suggest our membership might have with regards to potential speakers or activities during our monthly meetings or as special events.

Please drop me a line if you have something that you think the majority of the club members would be interested in!!

Cheers

Kevin

Phil

Hi there,

I have attended the OVAS annual auction in the first week of march. Looking forward to the event this year , I have been keeping an eye on the calender and notices to hear of the date time location etc. I am surprised that it is not yet announced! So I thought that perhaps it might not be happening this year  :'(.

Can you let me know if it is or not? Thanks!

Phil

garnpet

March 2nd at Jack Purcell - everyone was a bit busy with the Calfo meeting.  I'll have the information available to everyone soon.
1 fish, 2 fish, <°{{{><  , <°{{{><  

kennyman

How about an environmental based speaker who can talk to us about our hobbies impact on aquatic ecosystems. I know we got a bit of that with Karen Randal and everyone seemed to appreciate it. But a speaker taking on all aspects of our hobby from an environmental perspective as opposed to an economic one might be interesting.

Chinaman

Quote from: kennyman on January 31, 2008, 12:20:41 PM
How about an environmental based speaker who can talk to us about our hobbies impact on aquatic ecosystems. I know we got a bit of that with Karen Randal and everyone seemed to appreciate it. But a speaker taking on all aspects of our hobby from an environmental perspective as opposed to an economic one might be interesting.

David Susuki. 

Sue

The guy that made 'Sharkwater' is a Canadian and seems to be an environmentalist type guy. http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=153893638

Also if Jaimie Baquaro is still around he's used to be (and perhaps still is) very involved with the topic of the marine hobbyist/aquarium trade/fish collection. I've seen a few of his talks, he's a very good speaker.

Vizerdrix

Another thing that was informally discussed at the Sunday meeting was having someone do a presentation on Aquarium Photography for the Beginner (ie, without thousands of $$$ invested in equipment!).  I for one would really enjoy this, being a former photographer who can't seem to get a proper picture of her fishes!

beowulf

Quote from: Chinaman on January 31, 2008, 12:50:42 PM
David Susuki. 

Was in contact with his people actually....won't say anymore.

charlie

Quote from: Vizerdrix on January 31, 2008, 04:59:54 PM
Another thing that was informally discussed at the Sunday meeting was having someone do a presentation on Aquarium Photography for the Beginner (ie, without thousands of $$$ invested in equipment!).  I for one would really enjoy this, being a former photographer who can't seem to get a proper picture of her fishes!
Great idea, we had one in April of 2007 & is definantley worth having another sometime in 2008.

beowulf

Quote from: charlie on January 31, 2008, 05:12:09 PM
Great idea, we had one in April of 2007 & is definantley worth having another sometime in 2008.
I wonder if Michel would be up for it or if someone else could give it.

Brine

Perhaps Tomek would come talk to us. I don't know him but he used to post pics on KWAS and they were phenomenal. IMO
Here is a link to his fish pics

www.crazyravr.smugmug.com/gallery/1226987#61242074

markw

A very interesting speaker and excellent photographer of aquatic topics is Klaus Steinhaus(http://www.buntbarsch.ca/). Klaus is President of the Durham Aquarium Association, and is a longtime keeper of Tropheus and other cichlids. He speaks throughout Ontario and the U.S. about Tropheus, photography and fishkeeping in general.
Aside from the fact that he is a diehard Maple Leaf fan, which I try and not hold against him, because he just doesn't know any better, he does know fish and photography. Have a look at his site, and see some of the awards he's won!
markw

BigDaddy

Our sister club, the East Coast Aquarium Society, had him for a chat event.  I attended part of it.  It was a good time.

markw

Another idea for an interesting speaker is a DVM with a ichiology and/or aquatic specialty. Discussions of aquatic illnesses, diagnosis treatments and necropsy procedures would be very helpful. There are several good speakers available that I am aware of. Dr. John Lumsden is an ichiology professor at U of Guelph and has spoken several times to us at CRLCA. Also Dr. Mark Mitchell from Louisiana State University is an Associate Professor of Zoological medicine and a circuit speaker for American Cichlid Assoc. plus many other aquatic clubs. A session listening to any of these experts can certainly help alleviate so many of the problems that inevitably present themselves in our hobby.