New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

What's happening?

Started by Julie, February 28, 2008, 03:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Julie

2 members of the executive have resigned.

groupie02

Nerine

55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

groupie02

Julie, either you're well connected or I can't see some obvious posts related to this. I guess it would be time to update the OVAS Executive page.

Jody

I was thinking the same thing Julie

But now I hear we are up to 3 execs within the last couple of weeks, both Treasurer and President as well as Membership.

Any comment from the remaining exec? What is happening that is causing so many people to not be willing to finish out the next 3 months?

Jody

RossW

Quote from: Jody on February 29, 2008, 12:54:16 PM
I was thinking the same thing Julie

But now I hear we are up to 3 execs within the last couple of weeks, both Treasurer and President as well as Membership.

Any comment from the remaining exec? What is happening that is causing so many people to not be willing to finish out the next 3 months?

Jody

If this is true I sure hope something is being done.  What can we do as members?  I guess the first things we need is information/confirmation.

Ross

Fishnut

I think it would be interesting to be a fly on the wall in one of these volunteer execs.  Every club I've been a member of has exec issues.  Sometimes a few execs (who are an exec to fill up some free time) are putting too much strain on the time of others who have busy lives.  Sometimes execs remind me of the high school cliques and if someone's not part of the cool group, they get picked on and left out of unofficial (hanging out) meetings.  Sometimes life does get in the way and something has to give.  It's just a volunteer position so people are less likely to put it up there as a priority. 

It's a shame that volunteer execs are plagued with these things.  Maybe if meetings were video taped, things would be better.  Then the rest of us would know if someone's not pulling their weight or a few people are being difficult, etc...or if someone actually IS too busy  ::)

artw

I would think instead of speculating here, speculate speculate, gossip gossip,  we should wait for an official announcement, if any of this is even true.

beowulf

Quote from: artw on February 29, 2008, 02:07:25 PM
I would think instead of speculating here, speculate speculate, gossip gossip,  we should wait for an official announcement, if any of this is even true.

I agree Art maybe people should hold their horses and wait for the information to be given out.  Conspires theorist of OVAS unite.

RossW

Quote from: artw on February 29, 2008, 02:07:25 PM

The biggest problem with this is that historically official announcements, to my knowledge, do not occur.  If Kevin hand not mentioned he had resigned I am not sure the exec would have told us.

In the absence of information, people fill the void and we have no information about the internal challenges of the board over the last couple years.

Brine

Dan and I were asking these questions a month ago and we got the same result....nothing official.

Regardless of whether the rumours are true or not I think the Exec NEEDS to step in here and tell us what ACTUALLY is going on. Perhaps the answer is nothing at all, just a few people running out of time, or perhaps there is some infighting going on or perhaps some other explanation is the truth.

Or we could all just share the rumours we've heard and run with that.

artw

Quote from: Brine on February 29, 2008, 03:02:37 PMOr we could all just share the rumours we've heard and run with that.

or maybe we could all just get on with more important things in our lives?

twisty

succinctfish

The requested update on the OVAS executive positions:

For reasons of health and burgeoning commitments outside of the club, both Errol Choo and Chris Murray are stepping down from their positions on the executive. Chris is remaining in the interim to assist the transition with the website.  Sean Kettle has also decided to not continue in his position as president.  Many thanks from the executive, and I'm sure from the club members for their excellent work.

Remember, these are volunteer positions, and everyone on the executive works very hard. We have more activities than I believe we have ever had; we have workshops and  breakfasts in addition to the regular club activities, and more speakers who travel greater distances to get here so that the club can be as exciting as it has been. I'm sure you can all appreciate how busy this time of year is for the executive, with the preparations for the giant auction and hosting our February speaker during his visit, plus getting ready for the March meeting speaker as well.  The OVAS executive page will be updated when Chris has the time.

Club members are always welcome to attend an executive meeting to observe. Come be the "fly on the wall" if you wish.  You need to notify either the secretary or myself in advance, so that we can give you the meeting location, and make sure there is a chair for you, since space can be a little tight.

groupie02

many thanks for the update. Now, the rumours can stop.

Fishnut

Thanks!  I'm glad the rumors I heard were put to rest :)

RossW

Thank  you for the update.  It is very reassuring.

az

thats it? when 3 or 4 people resigns around the same time it cant be just that.

maybe they should come forward and tell us what the real reason is, thank you.

AQUA VALLEY    
1158 Ogilvie Road, Ottawa

2016 Hours
Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri >> 12-7pm
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532  
www.aquavalley.ca

Ottawa's BIGGEST SALTWATER Selection

Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532     www.aquavalley.ca

beowulf

Quote from: az on February 29, 2008, 07:39:53 PM
thats it? when 3 or 4 people resigns around the same time it cant be just that.

maybe they should come forward and tell us what the real reason is, thank you.

Why would that not be the real reason?  Why do people assume it is some huge conspiracy?

az

Quote from: beowulf on February 29, 2008, 07:48:24 PM
Why would that not be the real reason?  Why do people assume it is some huge conspiracy?

thay all have family commitment they cant get away from AT THE SAME TIME?

why dont we wait for them to let us know, in that way there wont be any confusions.
AQUA VALLEY    

2016 Hours
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
www.aquavalley.ca

beowulf

Quote from: az on February 29, 2008, 08:26:59 PM

why dont we wait for them to let us know, in that way there wont be any confusions.

They just let you know.  Did you not read what was written?  Have you thought that there might be personal reasons involved that they might not want to share?

matt

Quote from: az on February 29, 2008, 08:26:59 PM

I'm pretty sure succintfish isn't planning some huge story to fool us all! If she says Charlie and Darkdep are leaving for medical reasons, I believe her!

And in the case that this WOULD be a huge plot to fool us all....so what! Like Art :
Quoteor maybe we could all just get on with more important things in our lives?

This is a fish club where people come to enjoy themselves, the execs don't need to divulge all their personal secrets.

So to end my rant : Thank you to the current execs, keep up the good work. And to the ones who left, thanks for all that you've done. Enjoy your time with your family/friends or work (or whatever you have decided to make more time for in your life). And Charlie and Chris, may I wish the best and speediest of recoveries.

dan2x38

Don't jump down my throat here ppl ~ Plz! I am not trying to stir up the proverbial pooh. Hoping to not stick my foot or both in my mouth either, so here goes...

Yes Brine we asked those questions a couple weeks ago when the, 'Events Coordinator' resigned. Plus an obvious lack of posts from several regular members who usually posted daily. This is not a paranoid or conspiracy theory contrived in my active imagination, it is an obvious observation! I created a thread then where we or I was told the minutes of that month's meeting would be made available... it never did materialize?

At that time it was because everyone was busy preparing for Anthony Calfo (sp.) visiting. Now we hear delays in announcements are due to the Giant Auction? Puzzled...

A great speaker attended & presented at the Feb. 25th regular monthly meeting many regular execs. & members were obviously absent. Now I am no rocket scientist but my mama raised no fool either nor did I just fall off the turnip truck... there are issues!

It is the first I've heard that anyone could attend exec. meetings? That is nice to know. As I understand these are held in member's homes that might be intimidating to some if they wanted to attend. Maybe these meetings should be held in a more open forum, after all the entire club is growing in leaps and bounds. Possibly an available room at Jack Parcel could be used? Certain issues would be voted on by the membership present relieving execs. from the burden of major club decisions. Are such procedures followed such as Robert's rules of order? This might help prevent potential conflicts: past/present/future it would be a membership majority passing or putting down motions; not the execs alone.

There are some issues obviously: Events Coordinator, Membership Coordinator, Club Treasurer, Club President, and Webmaster all resigned. These positions were recently accepted via floor nominations while all persons were present to accept. The positions were voted on and accepted with enthusiasm. All of these persons do & did an excellent job. They should be proud!

OK I do not believe in coincidence that much that in one month five dedicated club members all had to resign? Call me a spectic or rude for my disbelieve or maybe I do buy into Conspiracy Theories but it does seem odd.

This member for one does not have a good feeling about the turn of events as of late. I respect and like all of the execs plus very much appreciate their efforts. They mostly have a thankless job and I for one have little or no idea of the demands placed on them in filling these posts. Indeed they also have their own lives and this is a hobby after all.

The air needs to be cleared once and for all. Whether it is by a meeting, announcements by all those resigning execs, or....???

My intensions are not meant to be malicious or as I said to cause conflict. My intensions are for the clubs continuing success, enjoyment by the membership, and yes the execs themselves. So let's not ignore the hippopotamus in the living room!

Please folks do not tar & feather me. If the air needs to be cleared then it does so the new exec. can do just as good a job as their previous counterparts plus avoid any potential future pitfalls of their own.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

KLKelly

Drama is good for no one except a captive audience.  Do we really need to know?

charlie

Ok folks, since i`m one of the perosns that stepped down & in light of this thread & the many speculation, also the fact that a few people have took the time to express concern about my health ( to those who have, thank you , it is appreciated), i think i should post some kind of response here, this is not intended to  bash , point fingers or create anymore drama than is already in existence.

First off i would like to clarify that my health is good all things considered, i do have some health issues , but nothing life threatening, infact most of it was preexisting & has not got any worse or better since my tenor with the executive,i will tell you honestly , that my health is not a major influence for me stepping down.

I will not get into details publicly about the reasons for stepping down, but will say i`m of the opinion , that i cannot serve on any committee,  unless that committee is prepared to work as a team for one common goal, in closing , i will continue to be a active member of OVAS & will even consider serving on the executive again.I would also like to thank those i have worked with for all the help ,i would urge  you the members to get active in seeking positions on the executive, i think some new input can be the answer for this wonderful club & hobby.
Regards Errol/Charlie

artw

Quote from: beowulf on February 29, 2008, 07:48:24 PM

Dan2x38, was that post of yours really necessary?  succintfish made it perfectly clear what is going on,  and thats it, done, full stop, like others have said, no drama here, move along.

beowulf

Quote from: artw on March 01, 2008, 09:19:35 AM
because most of the people in this thread, AZ included, have nothing better to do in their lives than speculate and post rumours about the OVAS executive.

Dan2x38, was that post of yours really necessary?  succintfish made it perfectly clear what is going on,  and thats it, done, full stop, like others have said, no drama here, move along.

NO clue what someone reported this post as I see nothing wrong with what Art is saying.  Good on you art!!

RossW

Kevin -

I reported it as I feel that the above statement is an attack against others and as such should be removed... unless flaming is now an accepted practise on OVAS.

Note: Edited to remove quote which has been removed from the original post.

dan2x38

1st Art's thread should not have been reported! He as same as all of us have the right to voice our opinions if done appropriately.

2nd Yes my post was necessary. Errol cleared the air. So that satisfied those rumors regarding that. Myself and other members just want to know what is happening. Is that not logical?

Thanks Errol that was great to learn. Guys I like what Errol said maybe an injection of new blood would be a great idea. A changing of the guard if you will. Errol you've done a fantastic job it shows with the increase in membership! In fact the entire exec has been amazing!!! I for one will miss their leadership & service to the club.

I ask these questions so we know what it is needed not to cause debate. Organizations need the exec so if they have stepped down the position need to be filled. To help the new execs fill these open posts any issues or pitfulls should be know so they are prevented in the future. Is that not logical?
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

az

Quote from: artw on March 01, 2008, 09:19:35 AM
because most of the people in this thread, AZ included, have nothing better to do in their lives than speculate and post rumours about the OVAS executive.

lol, ok!!
AQUA VALLEY    

2016 Hours
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
www.aquavalley.ca

markw

Rumours aside, and I agree they aren't relevant nor appropriate. What I am surprised at though, is the lack of notice to the membership of the Executive changes. There is a fiscal responsibility of any association, charity, non-profit or otherwise to keep their membership informed. There is no need for reasons, just the simple fact that their clubs leadership has for whatever reason been changed. An interim President and Executive must immediately be put in place, and then a succession plan instituted. Most organizations have a contingency plan in their governance to deal with this in their constitution and bylaws. The web-site could be used for this sort of conveyance to the membership, but I suggest something should have been mentioned at the last meeting.

garnpet

Quote from: markw on March 01, 2008, 10:54:22 AM
An interim President and Executive must immediately be put in place, and then a succession plan instituted.

Can everyone please take a huge chill pill.    :D

There are 13 positions on the OVAS Executive - current there are 3 position which are not filled.  There is no need for a succession plan or all the panic which seems to be going on here lately.  According to our constitution if the president resigns the vice-president simply takes over the duties of the president (but does not become president of the club)

Now let's get back to club business.  REGISTER YOUR GIANT AUCTION ITEMS   ;D
1 fish, 2 fish, <°{{{><  , <°{{{><  

beowulf

Quote from: markw on March 01, 2008, 10:54:22 AM
Rumours aside, and I agree they aren't relevant nor appropriate. What I am surprised at though, is the lack of notice to the membership of the Executive changes. There is a fiscal responsibility of any association, charity, non-profit or otherwise to keep their membership informed. There is no need for reasons, just the simple fact that their clubs leadership has for whatever reason been changed. An interim President and Executive must immediately be put in place, and then a succession plan instituted. Most organizations have a contingency plan in their governance to deal with this in their constitution and bylaws. The web-site could be used for this sort of conveyance to the membership, but I suggest something should have been mentioned at the last meeting.

Again taking it to far.... ???

markw

You don't need to "replace" the President according to a constitution. I agree that the position is temporarily filled by the next in succession, but MUST be reported to the membership. I am very familiar with governance in many various organizations, and I can tell you that its in the clubs best interest to publish the succession; even if temporary. The constitution states in Article 3.6  " Executive members shall keep an accurate record of their acts and proceedings, and report to the society at any annual business meetings, or on demand. The membership has asked to be informed, and accordingly supported by the constitution have the right to be so. There are no requirements to site reasons whatsoever, just the re-organization.

Jeff1192

I'm sorry but I just can't believe how worked up people are getting about this. Bottom line is that this club is being very well run, they have brought in excellent speakers and from all accounts is in very good shape financially (hence some of the great speakers they've been able to get). I don't think we need to work up into a panic over some people resigning. There are always going to be personality conflicts, personal issues, health issues, ect that get in the way of someone wanting to devote a great deal of their free time to a volunteer position. I think it's time to move on and not get too upset until we actually have a real problem with the club.

Just my 2 cents.

Jeff
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

KLKelly

I know some of you think its not a big deal.  Don't you guys think the President stepping down is a big deal though?

I don't care the reasons.  I don't think thats for the community to debate - its up to the executive to keep their act together and do whats in the best interest of the club.  The organization members and executive should be proud of all that you've accomplished.  I just hope that it can grow from this and not take a step backward.  There are some strong personalities in this community but everyone is a grown adult (kids need not apply).  Executives past and present have the bar set a bit higher and should be professional at all times.

markw

Hey Jeff, I am the first to congratulate OVAS on their excellent speakers, forums etc., and I'm not criticizing that in anyway. I am simply pointing out an aspect of organizational governance(to which I am very knowledgeable), and pointing out the requirement for the notification. It doesn't need to go any further that that!

darkdep

Folks,

Relax.  As one of the people who has stepped down, I can tell you that everyone who has stepped down did it for their own reasons.  My reasons were work related, and in preparation to donate a kidney.  Nothing more complicated than that.  Yes, it probably seems coincidental that several people stepped down around the same time, but it's mostly coincidence.  The President and Treasurer, as many of you know, are married...meaning if one of them decides that their family or something else requires priority, the other may follow :) 

I would recommend that if you feel there is an announcement of some kind coming, you wait for the VP to make such an announcement at the next regular meeting.  As for now, the conversations on this thread are doing nothing except spreading rumour and speculation.  I am locking it.