New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

2008-2009 OVAS Executive

Started by garnpet, May 27, 2008, 01:07:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garnpet

At the May 26th meeting elections were held for the 2008-2009 OVAS Executive.  Thanks to everyone who volunteered to run for a position and also a big thanks to those who came out and voted.

President
Matthew Séguin (mseguin)

Vice-President
Jenn Sutherland (roxydog)

Treasurer
Christine McCalla (vizerdrix)

Secretary
Sean Kettle (bigdaddy)

Membership
Art Williamson (artw)

Corporate and Public Affairs
Jody Willoughby (babblefish1960)

Program Director
Errol Choo (charlie)

Newsletter Editor
Trina Parsons (alongfortheride)

BAP/AHAP Chair
David Patte (dpatte)

Library Chair
Joyce Landry (washefuzzy)

Auction chair
Peter Garneau (garnpet)

Social Convener
Pat Foster (redbelly)
1 fish, 2 fish, <°{{{><  , <°{{{><  

az

AQUA VALLEY    
1158 Ogilvie Road, Ottawa

2016 Hours
Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri >> 12-7pm
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532  
www.aquavalley.ca

Ottawa's BIGGEST SALTWATER Selection

Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532     www.aquavalley.ca

beowulf

Might want to fix Errol's name  ::)

dan2x38

Congrats to the new exec! Hats off to you all for stepping up to make this thing work. 8)

AND a Big Hip-Hip-Horaay to last years exec. for all their hard work! Thank you I appreicated all your efforts.  :)
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

succinctfish

Congratulations to the new executive.  Thanks to everyone who ran for a position on the executive for next year, and of course everyone who came out to vote.  :)  It's great to be part of such an active club.

pwrca

Congratulations to all of the winners.  I'm sure that this executive will serve our club well.

Peter

Laura

Thanks to all who ran for being willing to give your free time for the club and congrats to the new board.
Thanks also to the previous exec for all your hard work!

700 gal pond - Rosy reds

Brine

WOOHOO I am so happy that all the positions were filled and so many good people came forward to offer their help.

One question though? When did Succinctfish become President? Did I miss something?

charlie

Quote from: Brine on May 28, 2008, 05:17:05 PM
WOOHOO I am so happy that all the positions were filled and so many good people came forward to offer their help.

One question though? When did Succinctfish become President? Did I miss something?
?? confused

groupie02

Quote from: Brine on May 28, 2008, 05:17:05 PM

Well, I was following article 3 section 8 of the club's constitution:
In case of absence and/or resignation, the order of succession to the Presidency shall follow the order listed in Article 3 Section 1.

That's basically Vice-President, Secretary, etc... as per article 3 section 1.

I had made the update to Succinctfish's online profile and the OVAS Executive page. Some folks have refuted the changes so I've reverted everything back to V.-P. to maintain status quo and will get the executive to decide on the issue at the next meeting.

Pierre

Brine

I think I see now....

I am used to Robert's rules of Order. Where the vice-president becomes only "acting president" until the next election. The president must be voted on.

If our constitution says differently then that is cool. I was just confused.

groupie02

that's the thing. The constitution doesn't say it in exact words.

dan2x38

In past didn't I hear Dave Patte resigned as President? What was the protocol then? Just asking... if there is already a president/precedent then wouldn't that be the course of action? Seems simple to me... but maybe I am just simple... LOL
Voltaire:

Brine

Quote from: dan2x38 on May 29, 2008, 12:03:19 AM
if there is already a president
You mean precedent, as in "that which happened previously" not president.

dan2x38

Quote from: Brine on May 29, 2008, 12:49:41 AM
You mean precedent, as in "that which happened previously" not president.

Correct precedent... it is late 2nd time I've been corrected bedtime... LOL
Voltaire:

charlie

Quote from: dan2x38 on May 29, 2008, 12:03:19 AM
In past didn't I hear Dave Patte resigned as President? What was the protocol then? Just asking... if there is already a president/precedent then wouldn't that be the course of action? Seems simple to me... but maybe I am just simple... LOL
Can someone who was around at the time elaborate on what Dan is talking about, when did Dave Patte resign as president ? & what happened then ?, this is all news to me , maybe Dave Patte can add his views here.
Regards

mseguin

This is currently being addressed by the executive, but in the past, when the president resigned, the VP became club President upon approval by the membership (at least that is my understanding). Therefore, I have suggested that at the June general meeting, the membership votes on approving Bryana Katz as president for the remainder of the season.

artw

As Matt stated,  Ron Barter was the current Vice President.  Upon approval by the membership, a vote was taken, and Ron accepted the nomination.

dan2x38

So that should be the process now. :) K.I.S.S.
Voltaire:

charlie

Quote from: mseguin on May 29, 2008, 09:29:16 AM
This is currently being addressed by the executive, but in the past, when the president resigned, the VP became club President upon approval by the membership (at least that is my understanding). Therefore, I have suggested that at the June general meeting, the membership votes on approving Bryana Katz as president for the remainder of the season.
I cant help but ask , what is the true purpose of all of this, as i now understand it, up until the time of the results of the election process for the 2008-2009 season, there was no motion/indication to the club about officially becoming President, after the results of the election, it is now apparent that the need to assume the official title/role of President is of impotence, is it necessary for the club since the season is almost on a wrap, we have how much more time left before we go into summer hibernation & then back for how long before the new Exec. assume the mantle. To me it is very obvious what is going on here & i`m positive the membership of the club can figure it out.
my 2 cents

beowulf

Please explain to me what is going on here Errol I cannot see.

Saltcreep

Please add me to the confused list. I've already been told none of this should matter to a non-member but, to me, it does. This thread seemed to be a wrap-up of the results of Monday's election. That is, until you get to post#7 when things start to go off the rails. Reading to the end of the thread, I think I've seen three different people named as current, possible and future president. Maybe someone could update the list to make it 'official'. I thought about going to Monday's meeting where the situation might have been clearer but I didn't want to use up one of my freebies since I couldn't vote anyway.

RoxyDog

Okay, regardless of WHY this has come up, the fact remains that we need to clarify Bryana's position on this year's Exec, as it affects her position on next year's Exec.  Bryana will have an automatic place next year as Past President if this year she is indeed President.  We need to determine what actions she needs to take, if any, to assume the position of President for the remainder of this year.  This is what is being discussed by the Executive currently, as there are two different ways of looking at it: by way of the constitution OR the previously mentioned precedent.
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

charlie

Quote from: RoxyDog on May 29, 2008, 01:58:58 PM
Okay, regardless of WHY this has come up, the fact remains that we need to clarify Bryana's position on this year's Exec, as it affects her position on next year's Exec.  Bryana will have an automatic place next year as Past President if this year she is indeed President.  We need to determine what actions she needs to take, if any, to assume the position of President for the remainder of this year.  This is what is being discussed by the Executive currently, as there are two different ways of looking at it: by way of the constitution OR the previously mentioned precedent.
Thanks Roxydog, you have made really clear now  :) at least i think clear enough for all to see  ::) :P

artw

yeah its quite simple,  if the membership votes Bryana as (current) President,   and she accepts (this is the key here)  she becomes next year's Past President

if she declines, or the membership votes against her,  she will not hold a position on next years Executive.

I hope I made that perfectly clear for everyone.

Kemokid

Sorry I couldn't make it out to vote, had family scheduling conflict.

Thanks to all that worked so hard last year and welcome and thank you to those that took on rolls this year.

See you soon.

Kevin

dan2x38

OH... But wouldn't Sean Kettle (BigDaddy) be the Past President? confusing...
Voltaire:

Dorrie

Quote from: dan2x38 on May 29, 2008, 05:00:07 PM
OH... But wouldn't Sean Kettle (BigDaddy) be the Past President? confusing...
He was elected at another position on the Exec, so maybe you can't cumulate functions? Just a theory...

charlie

Quote from: Dorrie on May 29, 2008, 05:18:34 PM
He was elected at another position on the Exec, so maybe you can't cumulate functions? Just a theory...
f i understand it correctly, the only function of the past President is to be a liaison for the new president & maybe a extra vote .In this case the incoming President  in my opinion has all the info & tools, since he is the present secretary & may have more insight than most if not all  ;)

Sue

I just thought I'd post that I was also around back then, and concur with what Art said about, Ron Barters transition from VP to president. We didn't wait 4 months, it was done one meeting after David quit.
I find it very bad timing for this to be coming up after rather than be for our elections. Since we just elected a president there's no real need for a VP to Pres transition to occur for the club to function this summer. Why not wait till next fall and let all the candidates that didn't win but still want to join the executive  run in bi-elections to fill vacant positions? There may be none right now, but chances are high there will be some sooner or later.

bitterman

Boy am I confused and I sure have missed alot around here.................... :o :o :o :o :o :o

markw

Quote from: bitterman on June 03, 2008, 07:25:43 PM
Boy am I confused and I sure have missed alot around here.................... :o :o :o :o :o :o
Yechs, I was away for a few days and I don't even know where to ask a question or trace back to where this all fell apart.

kennyman

The resignation of the president happened in private and was not posted on the forums. All you will find is bits and pieces of threads where members were asking "what was happening" which were locked after a while of non answers and go aways.

bitterman

Lets all just stop focusing on this BS and look forward to what the club is suppose to be about..... having fun, educating people about fish, aquariums etc and bringing the aquarium experience to new peoples homes.

These nasty things occurring look very bad on the club and frankly the more they are brought up the worst it is for the club..... We need to look forward, stay positive and have fun!

We have a great club here, so lets keep things positive and let the exec's do the great job we all know they will do and make this best OVAS year possible! In fact last year was great with all the amazing speakers, workshops, meeting etc etc.... although some was overshadowed by some peoples negativity, so lets not let that occur this year!

Bruce

washefuzzy

Quote from: bitterman on June 05, 2008, 09:37:07 AM
Lets all just stop focusing on this BS and look forward to what the club is suppose to be about..... having fun, educating people about fish, aquariums etc and bringing the aquarium experience to new peoples homes.

These nasty things occurring look very bad on the club and frankly the more they are brought up the worst it is for the club..... We need to look forward, stay positive and have fun!

We have a great club here, so lets keep things positive and let the exec's do the great job we all know they will do and make this best OVAS year possible! In fact last year was great with all the amazing speakers, workshops, meeting etc etc.... although some was overshadowed by some peoples negativity, so lets not let that occur this year!

Bruce

I second Bruce!  ;)   :)

dan2x38

Yes Bruce agreed! Good to see you back... let the fishys swim, the water flow clear, and your filters never clog... the up coming season sounds like it will be a great one so let the focus be there... :) x 1000

Enough said?  :P
Voltaire:

beowulf

I am preparing a millitary coup.

Brine

Quote from: beowulf on June 05, 2008, 01:13:09 PM
I am preparing a millitary coup.
I always wanted to be part of a junta!

beowulf

Quote from: Brine on June 05, 2008, 01:56:06 PM
I always wanted to be part of a junta!
Cool I found my new Vice President!!  8)

garnpet

FYI - the voting results from the meeting - for the contested seats.

46 members voted...

President
Bryana Katz - 9
Matt Seguin - 36

Membership
Dan Burden - 19
Art Williamson - 27

Corporate and Public Affairs
Peter Rochon - 22
Jody Willoughby - 24

1 fish, 2 fish, <°{{{><  , <°{{{><