New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

50TH ANNUAL C.A.O.A.C.CONVENTION May 15-17, 2009

Started by Lisachromis, April 30, 2009, 07:46:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisachromis

Updates to the CAOAC convention.

Due to unforeseen circumstances, Anthony Calfo has regrettably had to withdraw from the speaker programme. In his place. Gary Lange will give a talk on digital photography.
The new schedule will now be:

Friday
Out Back Shack 7:30-9:pm Heiko Bleher "Adventures in India"
                         9:00-midnight for Meet & Greet with the speakers

Saturday
Lecture Theatre   9:15am–10:30am Gary Lange on "Aquarium Photography"
                          10:45am– 12:00pm Heiko Bleher talk on "Newly Discovered South American Cichlids"
                          12:00– 1:30pm LUNCH
                          1:30–2:45pm Gary Lange "Collecting in New Guinea"
                          3:00–4:15 Bob Fenner talk on "Algae Can Be Your Friend"
                          4:30pm – 5:45 Heiko Bleher talk on Geophagus And Dwarf cichlids
Forwell Hall         6:30 pm Bar Opens
                          7-8:30 pm Dinner
                          8:30–9:45 pm Rein Breitmaier on his "Mediterranean Trip"
                          10:00 pm – ? Bob Fenner Light and Lively – "Candiru Catfishes, The Only Vertebrate Parasites of Man"

Also, I'm attaching a photo of the plaque that the North American Discus Association sent for the CAOAC's discus class in the show. It's a wonderful Blue Diamond discus on the award. I personally think it's something to try for as an award at the show!

Lisachromis

Lisachromis

If you have not yet purchased your ticket for the convention, please be aware that the cut-off date for FULL convention tickets is next Sunday. That day is May 10, 2009. We need to confirm how many people we need to arrange catering for.
Lisachromis

apisto-nut

The convention needs our help in finding a few very large amazon sword plants for the Bio tanks

These tanks were donated to the convention for Heiko Bleher to set-up

If you know anyone that has a few plants that would like to see them used in these tanks
then please contact me or Lisa

From LISA
Hey everyone.

As many of you know, Heiko Bleher will be doing 3 biotope tanks.
Unfortunately, some emails went astray and were never received, so we are now in dire need of some DONATED plants/wood.

We are looking for the following:

Mosses, Ceratophyllum demersum, Potamogeton sp. and Salvinia.
Beautiful drift wood (presoaked, or we can do that if it's donated soon), some motherplants of Echinodorus grandiflorus or E. macrophyllus or very large Cyperus (with leaves, out of the water - partially emersed plants)

Please pm me if you have anything we could use.

Lisachromis

Lisachromis

mseguin

Hello all, just got back from the convention, it was a lot of fun and informative, and got to meet lots of people from other clubs, including some neighbours (relatively) from Quebec City. I strongly encourage anybody who gets a chance to go down to one of the conventions, to do so, as its great networking, and great speakers. Of course, we could always work on hosting one of them in this area, there seems to be some interest in a lot of CAOAC members in coming down here for one. Either way, it made for a great fish geek weekend, and I look forward to attending again. Thanks to all the CAOAC exec and volunteers as well as the speakers for a fun weekend.