New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Found Black Crab about the size of quarter

Started by mmaisonneuve, March 05, 2012, 11:03:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmaisonneuve

Weird, I was looking at my tank last night and I found a new crab !!! must be a pest ? It's all black / Dark in color and tend to hide between the crack of the live rock.....have not added any LR in that tank since August so my guess it's been there since the beginning ! Anyone has an idea how to catch this bugger ? I've tried the inverted bottle trick with a piece of fish and I ended up with a ton of Nassarius Snail but no crab.

90g Tank, 50g Sump. Super Reef Octopus 2000 skimmer , 1 Bio Beads reactor, 1 GFO Reactor, 1 Carbon Reactor, 2 Ecotech Radion XR30w, 3 Vortech MP10w ES,  Eheim 1260 Return Pump. AquaController Apex System. SPS Reef with Purple Tang, Yellow Tang, Dejardini Tang, Mated pair Madanrin, Clown, Purple Fire Fish, Bengali Cardinals, Coral Beauty. Tons and tons of Snail and Hermits

dakrazyone

kole18

If its dark or black & hair very very bad take it out before it gives you pain a butt :)

kole18

rgauvin

I noticed a small black hairy crab in the cracks of my LR about 2 months after setting it up. He moved slowly and always in a recessed, hard to get to spot. I ended up just pulling the liverock out, and even then he hid int he nook and crannies of it. I ended up having to pry him out... It was an epic 5 minute battle, but I am glad to report, I won.

Greatwhite

I've always had luck pulling the rock, and spraying it with fresh hot water... sneaky little guys usually come out running.

groupie02

to catch him, try the using a Mason jar with food at the bottom. Leave the opening at the top with the jar on a slant.  Crabs will crawl in but not be able to climb out.  If you place it near where it lives, you should catch him.
Snails will be able to get out.