New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Shrimp Tank

Started by Mishtay, November 07, 2011, 01:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mishtay

Im not sure if I am posting this in the right area of the forum, but I'll try here anyways.

Im in the process of slowly converting my old 10 gal into a shrimp tank. When this tank was set up before I was using it for tetras and platys. I had the tank set up with quite a bit of live plants and was fairly successful getting by without using plant susbstrate. Everything from that tank has now been moved to a 30 gal.

Im still deciding on the best way to set up the tank for the shrimp. I want it to be set up the best way for a reasonable cost. That being said I would like to try to set up the tank with as much stuff that was used in the 10 gal in the first place.

I have enough regular gravel from when it was set up before to have a regular base on the bottom, but is normal regular gravel okay for shrimp? Or should I just splurge and get the fluval shrimp susbstrate? Could I use sand for shrimp?

I don't know if the bottom set up of the tank will better suit certain shrimp. I only have experience with Amanos and Ghosts and I had a bamboo shrimp for a while but lack of knowledge at the time of purchase ended in The Rock's demise :(