New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Resealing 90 gallon tank

Started by Kalinkacat, December 19, 2022, 08:41:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kalinkacat

How many tubes of silicone would I need to reseal a 90 gallon tank?  The big tubes like caulking but silicone?

Thanks,

lucius

It would probably depend on how thick you want the silicone to be.  The biggest I have re-sealed was a 30 gallon and I only needed one tube.  You could always buy two or three tubes and return whatever you don't use.  You have to cut the end of the tubes to open them so they can easily tell if you used them or not and should let you return them. 

Kalinkacat

Ok, just resiliconed the 90 gallon tank.  Used one full tube of caulking plus a bit of a second tube.  Had about 5 inches left to do when I ran out.

That being said, I have never touched a caulking gun in my life and I know I used probably WAAYY too much silicone but I figured more is better.  Not overly pretty in some places, but was concerned about the 10 minute window until silicone starts skinning over.  If I had been somebody used to using a caulking gun, I think 1 tube would have been fine - and it would look prettier.  Just mentioning in case someone else finds themselves having to resilicone a 90 gallon tank.

Fingers crossed that this will work.  Will start water testing next week as the tube says it takes 7 days to get full adhesion, although it cures in 24 hours.  I don't want to try water testing until full adhesion - just to be on the safe side.

Kalinkacat

Update:  Everything fine and tank is now "seasoning" with plants.  Fish will be happy when they are allowed back.  I am so proud of myself for being able to resilicone, especially a 90 gallon.  This from a person who never touched a caulking gun before - thank you YouTube!  Although it wasn't anything as easy as they showed - but I did it so anyone can do it!