New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Chat events

Started by succinctfish, June 05, 2007, 03:05:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

succinctfish

Are there any more scheduled in the near future?  I really enjoyed Zap's shrimp chat, and the others that I had a chance to participate in, or read the transcripts if my schedule conflicted with the chat itself.  Any possibility of some more soon?

succinctfish

Any thoughts?

BigDaddy

I am still waiting to hear back from Tom Barr about a chat event.  I'll send him off another email this weekend.

succinctfish

Thanks for the response BD.  Tom Barr would be cool.  How about one of our local folks in the meantime?  Any folks out there who want to volunteer?  I'm sure a talk on salt water nanos would be interesting to a lot of people.  I heard a rumour about Zap maybe doing an apisto talk?  Or anything fishy would be nice.  Even a stand building talk, explaining levelling, racking, the whole concept of just how much water weighs and the effect all these forces have upon the integrity of the tank itself.  Just throwing out some ideas here. 

PaleoFishGirl

I had lots of people lined up to go but everyone became "too busy" or had something else crop up.  All of you people that said you would do one, you know who you are - there's no time like the present! PM me.

succinctfish, why don't you do one? :D

beowulf

Quote from: PaleoFishGirl on June 07, 2007, 03:06:21 PM
I had lots of people lined up to go but everyone became "too busy" or had something else crop up.  All of you people that said you would do one, you know who you are - there's no time like the present! PM me.

succinctfish, why don't you do one? :D

Indeed, why not one on livebearers?

succinctfish

I think Woody is the expert on Celestial Pearl Danios (the fish formerly known as Galaxy Rasboras  :) ) on the site, as he has had his the longest.  Fascinating little fish, but could we fill an hour's chat with them?
Maybe combined with something else.  Perhaps other interesting little known or threatened fishes.  If Woody considered doing a chat, he breeds lots of interesting fish he could talk about.

Beowulf, what's with the livebearers?  Me, I have exactly 3 swordtails.  They swim, the male pesters them in a romantically challenged manner, and very occasionally accidentally gets lucky.  Then they eat the babies.  I feed them, call them pigfish and make kissy faces.  That's about it for my relationship with livebearers.

beowulf

Quote from: succinctfish on June 07, 2007, 04:07:57 PM
I think Woody is the expert on Celestial Pearl Danios (the fish formerly known as Galaxy Rasboras  :) ) on the site, as he has had his the longest.  Fascinating little fish, but could we fill an hour's chat with them?
Maybe combined with something else.  Perhaps other interesting little known or threatened fishes.  If Woody considered doing a chat, he breeds lots of interesting fish he could talk about.

Beowulf, what's with the livebearers?  Me, I have exactly 3 swordtails.  They swim, the male pesters them in a romantically challenged manner, and very occasionally accidentally gets lucky.  Then they eat the babies.  I feed them, call them pigfish and make kissy faces.  That's about it for my relationship with livebearers.

I found the pigfish comment so funny in your video I thought you might have a special connection to said fish.

succinctfish

Quote from: beowulf on June 07, 2007, 04:24:54 PM
I found the pigfish comment so funny in your video I thought you might have a special connection to said fish.
Well, I am fond of the silly things.  :)

darkdep

Obviously.

(cough)(jody)(cough)

charlie

Quote from: BigDaddy on June 07, 2007, 02:09:28 PM
I am still waiting to hear back from Tom Barr about a chat event.  I'll send him off another email this weekend.
Any word from Tom Barr?
Regards

charlie

Quote from: charlie on June 16, 2007, 07:35:01 PM
Any word from Tom Barr?
Regards
Any word from Tom Barr as yet

BigDaddy

I guess my emails didn't make it through, so I've sent him a PM at Barr Report.

BigDaddy

It looks like it will be the evening of Thursday, July 5.  I'll make sure to announce it at the June OVAS meeting as well

charlie

Quote from: BigDaddy on June 23, 2007, 05:58:01 PM
It looks like it will be the evening of Thursday, July 7.  I'll make sure to announce it at the June OVAS meeting as well
Any idea of time as yet? is he covering planted tanks only or will he include salt water as well ?
Regards

charlie

Quote from: BigDaddy on June 23, 2007, 05:58:01 PM
It looks like it will be the evening of Saturday, July 7.  I'll make sure to announce it at the June OVAS meeting as well

BigDaddy, i noticed the day has been corrected ,is this chat event confirmed & if so i think it needs to be publicized, so that the members are aware & can make plans to be here.
Regards

BigDaddy

Yes, Tom has confirmed it for Thursday the 5th.  I'll be putting up a news sticky shortly

charlie

First this

Quote from: BigDaddy on June 30, 2007, 03:32:30 PM
Yes, Tom has confirmed it for Thursday the 5th.  I'll be putting up a news sticky shortly
Then this on the home page
QuoteThe Ottawa Valley Aquarium society will be hosting Tom Barr in chat on Thursday, July 22, 2007 @ 7:00PM.  You must be a registered site user to participate in this event.

according to my callender July 22 2007 is a Sunday  ;)
Regards

babblefish1960

Well now, isn't that peculiar, perhaps it will all be settled sooner than later so we can all know when to be there. ;)

BigDaddy

Doh.. I was thinking of the picnic...

A fix will be in order  :)