New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

African ideas for a 65g

Started by beowulf, May 28, 2007, 08:35:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beowulf

After I bought Colin's 110g I was thinking of selling my 65g.  Time has passed and I am now debating on keeping the tank and turning it into an African tank.  The idea of this thread is what to put into the 65g.....

If I go with Africans, what would be a good selection of fish that could remain small enough to remain in this tank for a few years at least if not their whole lives?  Which lake should I focus on to get the smaller size I want yet still get some nice color variations?

Any help would be appreciated.

darkdep

Tanganyikan shelldwellers, Victorian Haps (lots of colour), or dwarf Pseudotropheus species all remain small and have lots of personality.  I'm a pretty big fan of the Victorians at the moment.

babblefish1960

Tanganyika has the most interesting fish of the rift lakes, but have you considered any of the cichlids from west Africa, some very colourful pelvicachromis and kribensis come from there and stay fairly small.

beowulf

Thanks for the ideas time to start researching.

groan

sniggir

witha 65 gal you could put together a very nice Tang tank... with some shell dweller's, a pair of judiochromis, 2 calvus, 3-5 cyprichromis, 1 or 2 daphodiles... lots of nice fish yo can have grow into your tank
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

dpatte

for riverine africans, try kribensis and buffaloheads together (this is a plug  :D )

Im actually thinking of moving on from brichardis and turning my 110 into a two-species only tank...
yellow labs and demasonii - they look gorgeous together - almost like a saltwater tank.
I have a 65 with this setup at the moment and it looks great.

Another idea is a julie tank. always attractive.

beowulf

Quote from: bitterman on June 01, 2007, 07:58:03 AM
Or you could NOT go africans (I know most of you would never guess I would say that LOL)

You have a nice little SW Nano there why not upgrade ;)

Bruce

LOL the day you want to lend me say....ohhh...$500 to get it going I'll do it  ;)

sas

Or you could NOT go africans (I know most of you would never guess I would say that LOL)

Bruce

:o Are you feeling OK Bruce ???
      I know you said you were getting better but didn't realize how much better  ;)   ;D. Sorry guilty of threadjacking but just couldn't let that slip by!
       Getting back to topic, I would agree upgrade on your salt......would be a work in progress......if I'm not mistaken you have to go slow with salt and funding could serve as brakes :D.

artw

Bruce

I agree :)

RoxyDog

meh, you're getting married, who needs a honeymoon?  go with a big reef tank.   :P
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

Mettle

I agree. Why not transition into a larger sw tank? You don't need to buy EVERYTHING at once. And you could have the two tanks running simultaneously. So that whatever is in your nano can stay in there. And as good deals come up on items in the Classifieds you can snatch them up slowly but surely. It's an easy way of doing things at a reasonable, spread out cost and you won't regret it I don't think.

beowulf

Man groan is going to kill you guys lol  ;)  Marine is just more work then I want to put into it.  I would have to look into a sump, etc.  Probably upgrade the lighting.  I had thought in the future about it but not now.

artw

I disagree
I have done less work with my 20g nano than I ever would have done with a 20g freshwater tank

Mettle

Art has a point. I don't have a sw tank but those that I do know with them do far less work than I ever have done on my fw tanks. That's once things are established of course. And it is case-by-case, depending on how much you decide to put in the tank and what you put in.

The cost can be more, but like I said, quite often there are deals in the classifieds and a number of fw pieces of equipment can be used in there as well. And the ones that can't can be sold off or traded for sw equipment. C'mon - you know you wanna.  :D

beowulf

Quote from: Mettle on June 01, 2007, 10:18:18 AM
Art has a point. I don't have a sw tank but those that I do know with them do far less work than I ever have done on my fw tanks. That's once things are established of course. And it is case-by-case, depending on how much you decide to put in the tank and what you put in.

The cost can be more, but like I said, quite often there are deals in the classifieds and a number of fw pieces of equipment can be used in there as well. And the ones that can't can be sold off or traded for sw equipment. C'mon - you know you wanna.  :D

I might wanna but the wife would kill me dead.....The plan is in 2 years the current residents of my 110g (clown roaches etc) will be moved into a 265g, the Africans that are going into the 65g tomorrow would then move to the 110g and then the 65g would become a marine tank and by then one of the 30g breeders I have that needs to be resealed will have been and become a sump.  All part of the grand plan!!!

mseguin

I will always prefer freshwater tanks over saltwater (even Africans). I say go with an African riverine, or tangyanikan tank

babblefish1960

I agree with mseguin, been there with saltwater for years, and I prefer freshwater, stick with groan's fish and you will be happiest, so will your bride to be.

groan

GET OUT OF HIS THREAD!

lol
Leave him alone!!!

Out Out Out!!!

mseguin

Hey I'm helping you out here