New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Aggression

Started by RossW, February 09, 2008, 12:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RossW

My 90g tank has historically had very little aggression.

In the last two days I have seen significantly more aggression, including lip locks.  It is like everyone is fighting!  The first instance of locked lips was two white tale acei, the other was a yellow tail acei and a yukon gold hap.

The only change in my tank is the addition of some java moss and some silk plants.  The silk plants are not small.  Is it possible the plants have reduced the effective area of my tank to the point that everyone is pissed?

Should I be concerned, or just let it go?

PoisonJello

if you notice the fish looking stressed or in bad shape then yes you should be concerned but if everyone still looks healthy, I wouldn't be to worried about it

sniggir

Ross could you shoot and post a pick of your tank so we can see you teritories/ how moch rock work you have.
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

rechaud

yep, the thing i can think is you don't have enough place to hide and the other thing, i think you shoul be concern when two fish started to ram face to face. I have the same problem couple of time ago and have to took off one of the two. The other thing i can see is when your fish get more mature they try to get more dominat most if there is another fish like him or similar. Sorry if its not that clear Ross, its kind of hard to explain in english lollll i think that is happenig with your 2 acei.

Réchaud...

RossW

Here are some fuzzy shots of my tank, I "think" I have tons of hiding spots as I have two large piles of tufa rock.

[attachment deleted by admin]

woodendude

In my 150g. African I find the aggression comes in waves. I have yet to figure out the cause (full moon?) but things quiet down in a day or two. There is alway someone being briefly chased though.  You seem to have adequate caves and hiding places, but do the stacked rocks lead to one sort of central hollow? If so you'll want to restack and make single caves with only a back and front opening, even only a front if you use the back glass as a backing.

Derek

RossW

Quote from: woodendude on February 10, 2008, 06:16:25 PM
do the stacked rocks lead to one sort of central hollow?

All of my tufa has holes, and each pile is hollow in the middle.  I am not a fan about stacking against the glass, I will have to think about that and other ways to create closed spots.

Thanx for the tips.