New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Algae eater question

Started by sas, November 30, 2008, 08:43:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sas

I have a tank housing Placidochromis phenochilus breeding foursome with their fry and was wondering if it would be safe to add Crossocheilus siamensis(Siamese algae eater), or will the fry become a quick snack?
These SAE eat anything in the way of fish food and I'd hate to lose the babies.
I have one albino bn pleco in the tank at the moment and could add a few more if that's a safer way to go?
Thanks

beowulf

Personally I have never seen my SAEs go after fry but that does not mean it has not happened when I was not looking.  I have never had them with my africans due top the water needs being different, at least I think so.  The plecos or some snails are probably the safer way to go with the fry safety in mind.

sas

Thanks beowulf for the reply.
I get what you're saying, I don't mix fish either that require different water parameters. I was looking for a quick fix  :-[for some excess algae due to overfeeding because of the fry.
I'll put a few more plecos in.

beowulf

About 2 weeks ago I added some nerite snails to my african tank due to an algea issue and I have been amazed at the good job the have done considering their size and the size of the tank (a 90g).  There are 3 in there and I am sure had I added 4-5 more it would be really clean.

synodontis

I'm not sure what the water needs are for CAE or SAE, but I have them thriving and getting huge in with my africans.

I have one CAE and one SAE along with at least 6 mature bn plecos (4 albino and 2 regular) in my 125 gal tank.  They have all done a great job on the algae - so much so that I have to feed them algae pellets.  The plecos have started to breed and I am finding many mini plecos about the size of a grain of rice throughout the rocks.

My other tank (92 gal) has an algae problem which needs to be corrected.  There are 2 bn plecos, 2 very small CAE and one small SAE that are trying but not quite eating all the algae.  Probably add more plecos, but I am interested in the nerite snails.  Do they do a good job on the glass?  Do they also clean a sand substrate?  Your africans do not eat them?

beowulf

So far so good, the snails are alive and cleaning.  I see mine on the glass all the time and they get that stubborn hard algae that grows on glass and I have seen then eating things on the substrate.