New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

All at the top

Started by Mike62, November 24, 2011, 06:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike62

Okay, I dont know if Ive done something worse in trying to fix my problem. You will remember me, Im the guy who had the green cloud in his water. The suggestions were to get some live plants into the water, get an ammonia pad into the filter, and do a massive water change.
Well, I did all of those things last night, getting the cichlids out of the tank and completely draining it and refilling it. I treated the water that I put back in, let it sit for several hours and then got the fish back in.
Well today, I come home and all my cichlids are right at the top of the water, its almost like they are gasping for air, instead of water. The ammonia, nitrate and nitrite levels are at zero (I should hope so, seeing as the water was changed), the ph might be a bit low for cichlids, but that wouldnt cause this, would it? Any ideas on what has gone wrong this time?
Life is full of questions. Chocolate is the answer.

brotherluv

Same thing happened to me with some neon tetras...big water change...it turned out the town (renfrew) had just done a chloramine treatment and it had huge amounts more than usual...I lost a few and moved a few to a different tank...neons aren't as hardy as your cichlids but I'm guessing its probably the same problem.

Mike62

I dont know if Cornwall even has chloramine in its water, and even if it does, I put more than enough treatment in the water to wipe out the chloramine.

JetJumper

http://www.cornwall.ca/en/municipalworks/WaterPurification.asp

"The water is treated according to standard water purification methods using chemical assisted coagulation for flocculation and sedimentation, water filtration, chlorine and Ultra-Violet light for disinfection, and the addition of fluoride for tooth protection. Our Dinking Water System undergoes rigorous inspections and consistently earns top ratings from the Ministry of the Environment."

And the report.

http://www.cornwall.ca/en/municipalworks/recources/2010_Drinking_Water_Quality_Report.pdf
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

brotherluv

I use a 3g bucket and always treat it with what's recommended for 50g of water and it happened to me...

Mike62

Quote from: brotherluv on November 24, 2011, 07:04:24 PM
I use a 3g bucket and always treat it with what's recommended for 50g of water and it happened to me...

So I just sit tight and hope for the best? Can I dump more treatment into the water now? I dont have another tank to move them to, and getting them all out is very difficult.

az

I think you did a little too much cleaning/changing water, maybe a cycle started, its a good sign they are still alive, might just make it.
AQUA VALLEY    
1158 Ogilvie Road, Ottawa

2016 Hours
Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri >> 12-7pm
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532  
www.aquavalley.ca

Ottawa's BIGGEST SALTWATER Selection

Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532     www.aquavalley.ca