New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Updated 220 gallons in wall tank build

Started by sylvain, February 14, 2015, 01:17:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sylvain

So here it is guys, in January I started an in wall tank build, after having a discussion with the CA, the treasory secretary and the minister of finance wich all positions are presently filled by my wife.....she readily approved the project, so I didn't wait for her to change her mind and jumped right into it. I make it sound worst than it actually is, just to make you guys laugh a little.

I always wanted to have an in wall tank, but never done it because of the amount of work it involves, but if planned toroughly, (drew a sketch in my head) i started from that. I have to mention also the other reason why i went ahead with the project, in november after coming back from the OCA, my sump pump elbow's came off of the pipe and flooded my basement, so I came home to 2-3 inches of water all over the basement, worked over 6 hours with a big shopvac to get rid of the water, installed industrial dehumidifier and hepa ventilator, and after removing the bottom part of the walls, i came to the conclusion that I would defenitaly need to fix and repaint all the walls. So came the idea to finally have a dream come true. I already own a 220 and 2 150's, so my plan was to built the in wall tank for a 220 until the set up was completed, then transfer all the fishes in it then get rid of the other set up.

So here it is, this picture shows where the tank will be,

In front of that wall there used to be another couch, and behind it there is a 12 x 16 utility room, where I have a workbench, tools and storage, but since only part of the room was used, the possibility for an in wall tank with a service area behind it was possible.

So here is behind the wall where the mirror was, as you can see I started removing the plywood that covered the wall so I can see what  imhave to deal with as far  as demolition goes. I contracted this house 14 years ago, so the memories of what inside the walls are long gone. I have to remove and relocate the wiring for my home theater, and also use the wiring that was used for those plugs for the new set up.

So now the bottom panel is removed and part of the wiring and plugs as well, the two hanging wires will be use for the new set up they are on separate breakers.

As you can see on this picture at the bottom, the wire going across is for my home theater after redoing the wiring, it's time to remove the studs and cut a hole in the wall.

Et voila, now I feel brave enough to call the C.A. downstairs to eveluate the progress.

View from outside the room and with the wall removed.
The next step is to build a wall within the room, it will serve two purposes, the first one to separate the storage area from the tank and give me another wall to lean a cabinet on it, since that cabinet was in the space where the new set up will be.
as you can see i use plywood on the wall, it gives more protection and it is harder to damage if hit with an object by accident.

Remember the wiring that i was going to reuse for this set up, well here it is with another small wall to make small room
For the ceiling my first idea was to cover it with another smoother sheet of plywood, but then i decided to keep the existing plywood but make some "caisson" to give it a nicer finish.

So now here is the room with a coat of paint.

For the floor I used floor paint for garage and also applied three coats of varnish over it. Now i have received my cabinet and put it in place.

Now you see it with a powerbar and LED strip for lighting

installed the top and painted the cabinet

view from outside the room

My first idea was to install the filters underneath the tank, but after giving it some more thoughts i changed my mind and made another small cabinet next to the tank to house the filters wich will be easier to service. I will be using two Eheim Classic 2262 canister filters that pump out 900 gph.
so that's were i'm at now, the tank should be here next week, the filters are in, just need to pick them up. I'll keep you guys posted on the progress.
Sylvain 
220-
150-
120-

Philnashbass

Looks like a fun/exciting project. I have dreams of m own too. Someday, maybe....500 gallonish????
50 gal. CADLights cube with 15 gal. CADlights sump:
CADLights PLS 100 skimmer
AI Vega LED with controller
Ocellaris pair in LTA, Sml. Hippo Tang,  Powder Brown Tang, Favia, Gorgonia, Frog Spawn, Rhodactis, Sun Coral, Open Brain, Colt Coral, Plate Coral

220 gal. with 80 gal. sump:
Vortex IN 280 skimmer
8 Bulb Teklight T5's, Reefbrite actinic
Pair Gold Bar Maroon Clowns (extra lrg. female), Hippo Tang, Lrg. Pink Tail Trigger, Blue Face Angel,  Kole Tang, Humu Humu Trigger,  2 Yellow Tangs...3 RBTA's, Hammer Coral, Torch Coral, Frog Spawn, Leather Coral

Al

Real nice job done by Sylvain, going to be awesome when its finished. I was at Sylvain's last week eyeing the work and if you know Sylvain, which some OVAS members do from OCA, he is very meticulous about any work he does and this project is no exception.
Great job, Sylvain - can't wait to see those peacock bass in there !! :<)

fischkopp

Quote from: Al on February 14, 2015, 04:26:01 PM
can't wait to see those peacock bass in there !! :<)

x2  ;D

This is looking very nice Sylvain! Good use of plywood. I haven't seen a stand build like this before, but it makes perfect sense.
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

sylvain

Sure Al, the peacock bass unfortunately are BO.........apparently a guy from Greely ordered a huge batch, and mother nature ran out of stock....lol

Thanks guys
Sylvain 
220-
150-
120-

Dxpert

Fantastic start, looking forward to more updates

sylvain

Started the plumbing for the fllters, 2 eheim 2262 @ 900 gph each.

Sylvain 
220-
150-
120-

ajm1961

Thanks for sharing Sylvain - the project looks very interesting!
Can't wait to see the final result!
SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!

exv152

I love big projects. Can you share anymore details regarding the hard plumbing? Is it hard plumbed into one outlet and one inlet, or are they kept separate? Are you planning any inline heaters with the plumbing?
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Al

Nice clean job that will make access a breeze for those heavy monsters.
I hate taking mine out from under my cabinets although I recently made a small dolly with some quality casters with a height that matches the shelf that the filters sit on under the cabinet so I can slide them over relatively easily without getting a hernia - then just wheel it over to the sink and sump to clean and service.
Sylvain, what type of unions are you using on the disconnects?

My question is do you think you'll have enough filtration !! ;<)
Those 2 - 2262's will do an amazing job on that 220 !!

sylvain

Quote from: exv152 on February 21, 2015, 09:42:48 AM
I love big projects. Can you share anymore details regarding the hard plumbing? Is it hard plumbed into one outlet and one inlet, or are they kept separate? Are you planning any inline heaters with the plumbing?

They are plumbed into separate inlet and outlet, for the simple reason that if I had done it into one inlet and one outlet i would have needed pipes twice as big to make sure the flow wasn't reduced. As for inline heaters my mind is set for in tank heaters that will probably be hidden behind a black overlow type cover.
Sylvain 
220-
150-
120-

sylvain

Quote from: Al on February 21, 2015, 12:52:43 PM
Sylvain, what type of unions are you using on the disconnects?

My question is do you think you'll have enough filtration !! ;<)
Those 2 - 2262's will do an amazing job on that 220 !!
The unions are 3/4" bought at reno depot, in fact everything is from that store, makes a nice clean job. as for having enough filtration i was thinking on installing a sand filter like they use on pools.....lol
Sylvain 
220-
150-
120-

Dxpert

The hard plumbing looks awesome! Great job so far. Any more updates?

bettabreeder

I'm excited to see how this is going to look when finished!

sylvain

Updated now

Finally received the new tank

Leak test

Back of the tank painted, 5 coats of flat back, 1 coat of varnish, another coat of black and to finalise 2 coats of varnish

Filtration leak test

On this picture you see the test tubing i used to start the filters, I covered the tubing with shrink tubing, I then replaced them with pvc tubing rubbed with black ink, since pvc is porous it keeps the color, but yoy have to rub it more then once.

Outside the tank filtration plumbing

Heather control that I made

Sylvain 
220-
150-
120-

Dxpert

Looking good! How do you like the flow from the two eheim's? That temperature controller looks like a stc1000. http://www.amazon.ca/SainSonic-All-purpose-Temperature-Controller-STC-1000/dp/B00862G3TQ great idea, but why did you go that route instead of inline heaters?

Mike L

Do they make in-lines that are big enough for a 220. I only know of hydor and the biggest they make is a 300 watt. Even 2 would not be enough.

Al

Mike
If the ambient temp in the room is 68-70, and you're heating to 78-80, no problem. I have 2 ETC 300 on a 250 with no issues.

sylvain

Quote from: Dxpert on March 24, 2015, 07:23:15 AM
Looking good! How do you like the flow from the two eheim's? That temperature controller looks like a stc1000. http://www.amazon.ca/SainSonic-All-purpose-Temperature-Controller-STC-1000/dp/B00862G3TQ great idea, but why did you go that route instead of inline heaters?

The flow from the filters is really good, i had doubt at first that it would circulate the water all the way across the tank, since all the plumbing is on one end, but it turned out to be perfect. It took about half a day for the water to clear, i am really happy with those filters. My two 150s are also running on 2262 I thought a lot about installing 2 inline heaters on the set up, but that would have needed an extra pump and some more plumbing, and after researching a bit about the inline heaters, the only company that makes them for aquarium is Hydor and I was not impressed with the way they are made, it would be good if they made the end threaded as an option. My friend Al uses them and he likes them. I found other companies that made inline heaters for aquaculture, but way too expensive and big for my set up.
Sylvain 
220-
150-
120-

Mike L

Thanks Al
I was going by the recommendations on the web site. I have been considering them for a while. Its good to know that the smaller one would likely be fine for the 75.. Would it be fair to say the flow rate might have a bearing on what the results are.

As for the build I'm envious. I especially like the ink idea. I'm assuming there is no leaching once it's dry. I might try to do this on some old eheim piping I have lying around to see what I get. While the green doesn't overly bother me it would still be great to have my plumbing better hidden.
Maybe I missed it but what are you going to be using for media in the filters as cleaning will be a bit of a pain.
Also what is going in the tank when finished.
Mike

sylvain

Quote from: Mike L on March 24, 2015, 05:59:07 PM
 As for the build I'm envious. I especially like the ink idea. I'm assuming there is no leaching once it's dry. I might try to do this on some old eheim piping I have lying around to see what I get. While the green doesn't overly bother me it would still be great to have my plumbing better hidden.
Maybe I missed it but what are you going to be using for media in the filters as cleaning will be a bit of a pain.
Also what is going in the tank when finished.
Mike

I have put bioballs at the bottom of the filter then about 5-6" of japanese
mat cut perfectly round to fit the canister and the reticulated foam on top
for finer particules. Cleaning will be very easy and shouldn't take more then
30 minutes. I have easy access to the filters, quick disconnect fittings.

The set up is now complete and it is home to heros rotkeil, menausautas and corys i will probably had a few more inhabitants just haven't decided yet on what.
Sylvain 
220-
150-
120-

sylvain

As you can see, i purchased pvc gutter to make my led canopy

Once the led strips are installed and wiring to the current usa controller is completed, the canopy was hanged from the ceiling just over the tank.

Now i just received and installed the frame around the tank.

I painted the frame to match the mouldings in my basement, so now the project is completed.
Sylvain 
220-
150-
120-

Al

very nice finishing, Sylvain. It's always the finishing touches that make the difference.
nice job with your led lights and the gutter idea.
have you considered a little bit of greenery to soften and naturalize the look a little.
im looking forward to a visit.
thanks for posting this, it was an excellent build with some great ideas on plumbing and lighting, as well as your stand, etc.
Al

wayn496

The tank looks GREAT!  Now all you need to do is add some salt and a few thousand $$$ in corals and it will be my dream tank  ;D