New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

New to this Forum / Old in Fish world

Started by BeginAgain, July 23, 2018, 07:09:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeginAgain

Hi everyone,

I've had fish at home since I was a baby. My Dad had tons of fish and it seemed to get into my blood (would being a Pisces have any influence...?)

Now I'm 44 am working to keep my "hobby" on a very small scale. From 2002-2010 I had a small 10 gallon tank as a way to teach my sons about fishkeeping. I loved it and so did the kids but in 2008 I had a sudden brain hemorrhage and stroke and spent three months living in hospital to recover from brain surgery. By the time I got home the fishtank was vacant except for a lot of algae... Cleaning out that tank was very hard emotionally. At the time I kept platies, swords, mollys and the like in reasonably small community sizes. I think the tank's decline was a sad thing for my kids and husband to watch while I was so unwell. Hard times... I donated all of the gear.

Anyway, when I was a kid, my Dad kept primarily angels and a legendary pleco who lived at least 20 years. I loved his fish but hated his proclivity for silk plants (although as an adult some of his choices make more sense now...). The smell of fish flakes in basement carpeting is a nostalgic smell for me now. Ha!

Needless to say, this summer I bought a new tank while my husband was away on a military trip. I am happier than ever and my traumatic brain injury from my stroke/anneurism and surgery are also loving watching my tank which is set up facing my desk in my office. I am back in a little 10 gallon but I can already tell this is not going to last... I'm going to need bigger sooner or later. I want to experiment with breeds I haven't owned before and look forward to joining OVAS this fall and getting to know some of you :)

All the best,

Jennifer (Orleans)

Jeff1192

Welcome to the club. Nice to see another east-ender join the group. Let us know when you're planning on expanding your tanks as people here are super helpful. I am always over-run with cichlids so if you ever decide to go that route let me know.

Jeff
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

lucius

BeginAgain

I appreciate the kind messages and look forward to sharing over the years.

Jennifer