New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Pictures of my new Malawi African Tank!

Started by adam_ottawa, October 04, 2006, 11:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adam_ottawa

Thanks.  I'm enjoying this tank very much!

Well the big chunk on the left, weighing in at 42 lb, cost about $50 on ebay, plus about $40 for shipping via UPS and about $30-40 for brokerage feels.  I really didn't think it would end up costing that much.  I tried not to think about it everytime I had to fork over my credit card for supplementary payment.    :'(

The smaller pieces cost about $8 each on ebay plus about $25 shipping as a package.  I really can't remember if this group got nabbed for brokerage fees.

Most of the sellers of Texas Holey Rock will only ship via UPS for some reason, which is an expensive delivery company.

If you want to know more, I may be able forward names of sellers on ebay.

I really love the holey rock though.  Even though I have a small footprint (30 x 12.5), I think the bountiful caves provide ample hiding spots for my fish.  I haven't watched any good chase scenes yet - they are usually short-lived.   ;D

As for the heater, I had already moved it so it is vertical in the left corner.  This picture was taken when I was more in the functional stage rather than concerned about final esthetics.

KarEn

Wow... 42Lbs... I'm still scared to put anything heavy in my tank. Maybe I'm just not as experienced...
Yeah, you ended up paying quite some bux for your rock. :) Well, at the end of the day you got something nice in ur tank.
How does it affect your water chemistry? pH level is same?

I saw these tocks on eBay... didn't go for it because of UPS shipping. Too expensive.
Regards,
Kar En
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 120 Gal Miracles Aquarium (starphire glass) Tanganyikan Cichlids |
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Cichlid Empire is built on intelligence, adaptability and a surprising degree of parental care for their young.

adam_ottawa

Well, I'm hardly experienced...I mounted the big piece onto a slate floor tile with silicone.  In addition to providing stability, I was thinking this would help distribute the weight better.

Yeah the piece was pretty pricey.  Let's just say that it was an impulse buy late at night after I had a couple drinks.  Silly ebay :P

To be honest, I don't really know my tap water pH level so I couldn't tell you how the rock affects the pH.  Before I started buffering the water, the pH with rock and aragonite was about 7.8-8.2.  Once I started buffering, the pH seemed to rise a bit to around 8.5  I have 3 different pH kits and I've never been able to match any particular coloured square perfectly, so I can only guess at the pH range when I test.  My pH doesn't seem to change when I do a water change so it must be buffered alright.

repeej

Quote from: KarEn on October 19, 2006, 10:35:55 PM
Wow... 42Lbs... I'm still scared to put anything heavy in my tank. Maybe I'm just not as experienced...

Well then....stay tuned.....I have about 150-200lbs of rocks going into my 75g this weekend.  Time to re-decorate...

Rudy00

if you think about it, most reef tanks get atleast 1 lb of LR per gallon, some even much more than that so i think the tank can handle it

adam_ottawa

After doing a water change last night, I found my baby again.  He was effectively hiding for about a week or so.  I just assumed he was a snack for one of the larger fish.

Check it out!

[attachment deleted by admin]

cory

time to set up a fry tank. or that little one will be a little meal.