New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Huge question on mouthbrooders and mixing females/species

Started by zippity, February 05, 2007, 11:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zippity

Guys, especially you cichlid pros:

Well the nasty was done today!!!!!! My almost 2 inch male yellow lab(thanks Fishbuddy), just did the nasty. At suppertime, I saw my female estherae just going to work like crazy on the substrate and dug herself a very nice hole, cave like. So she has done this on many occasions, so I didn't think much of it. Anyhow I went tonight to go feed my fishies and lo and behold she is holding, and her mouth is engorged big time. She is over 3 inches. At the same time, my 1 and a half inch female yellow lab is also holding(thanks again Fishbuddy). So now I am confused, the estherae did all the work, so did she plop out eggs and the lab fertilized them, or did she do all the work and the female lab plopped out eggs and both of them mouthed the eggs together. I only have 1 male lab, 3 female labs and 1 female estherae in the tank, so easy answer is I know who the father is, but who is the mother? Which eggs are whose? If it is the estheraes eggs, is it ok to fertilize with a lab and is it ok if the female lab holds estheraes eggs too. Or vice versa??

HELP!!!!

Cheers,
Terry

pegasus

Easy answer... if they were not her eggs they would be in her belly not in her mouth. :'(  For your sake, hope those eggs are sterile or do end up in her belly, you really don't want to be stuck with 20 little hybrids. This female zebra is in need of a male zebra or she will take your male lab whenever she's ready.

zippity

oh great, well to update as this morning, it looks like my yellow lab female isnt holding anything anymore. Female estherae on other hand is still full in the mouth. What would happen Michel with hybrids? Is this good or bad? Would there be some odd fry or deformities? And of course I gave my brother the cute male blue red that I got from gmann so he can start up some of his own fishies in his first tank. So I may be on the prowl for another new big male. first I need to rid myself of this problem right?

Terry

RoxyDog

hybrids are considered very bad.  definitely a no no.  you either keep em yourself if you like them, or let em be fish food.  this is what I've been *told*.  :) 
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

zippity

well happy to say that the female estherae spit them out or ate them but she isnt holding anymore, and now she has gone back to eating food again.....phewwwwwwwww!!!