New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Will they eat them all?

Started by bamboofish, November 13, 2008, 09:07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bamboofish

I put a group of chiclids in a 90 gal., -aceii, damesoni, yellow labs, & bricardiis-, everything has been fine. They had been together in a smaller tank for a year.
I could not catch them, so I left in 6 rummy nose as well. All were getting along fine for weeks. Now the big aceii, 4-5 in. has had a rummy a day, all gone, literally for breakfast each time.
My question is, will he leave the other small chiclids alone, some yellow labs are only an inch or so, or will he continue the rampage..... any thoughts on this one?

beowulf

If they can catch them and fit them in their mouth they will more then likely eat them.

Demasonian

It's unlikely that a few tetra sandwhiches have turned your otherwise gentle Acei into a bloodthirsty murderer  ;D Most mbuna are opportunistic eaters -- though they're predominantly herbivores, they won't pass up on fry snacks.

I would think that the yellow labs will be fine, if they are bigger than an inch. Fry, though, that's another story. As Beowulf says, if the smaller fish will fit inside the bigger fish's mouth...

On a side note, how are your brichardi with the mbuna? I've heard that when they start breeding they can make life very uncomfortable for their tankmates, even mbuna! A 90 gallon might be enough room to keep the violence down, though. Must be an interesting tank. Pictures?