New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

identify cichlid sex ? LFS ?

Started by Abedz, December 18, 2008, 03:52:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abedz

hey ..

Am actually new to chichlids .. i'v been doing my research over the internet on how to identify cichlids sex. It seems that there is no common method used to identify The fish. Am thinking of getting yellow-lab and demasoni. If anyone knows how to identify them please tell me.

While browsing some pages,  i went over a couple of lines saying that some LFS sell cichlid females & males seperataely... they divide them into two tanks and you get to choose how much of each. Is there such a thing in ottawa ?

Thank you

Hookup

Being a SW guy I don't really post here... But the title of this post had me scratching my head... I thought LFS was being used in a totally different way... as in your were looking for something, LOL... Anyhow, I'll crawl back to my tub-of-salt-mix and leave you all alone. :P

limmer

Yellow labs, the male usually has black pelvic fins.  They are also bigger.
Pretty hard to separate sexes when they are small. 
Don't know about Demasonie.
I think most LFS would separate by species, probably take up too many tanks.

new2H2O

Demasoni males have a yellow dot on the anal fin. Thought you won't be able to tell when they are really young an most LFS sell juvies so there is no realy way to tell at the store.

Demasonian

I would say that both fish represent a significant challenge for anyone trying to sex them, especially when they're small. I had a yellow lab I was convinced was a male due to heavy black in the pelvic fins and the black dash through the eye...that was until she held her first brood. :-[

For Demasoni, in my experience, equally difficult to tell apart. Dominant males can be distinguished when they are mature due to a definitively darker, more striking colouration. Sub-dominant males, however, look exactly like females. In fact, dominant females can get quite dark as well. I've also had many females with egg spots, so that may be an imperfect indicator as well

For both fish, the only sure-fire way to sex is by "venting". Essentially, comparing the size of the anal pore with the vent. The vent and anal pore in males is roughly the same size while in females, the vent is larger than the pore. Here's a good article: http://www.fishhead.com/articles/ventsex.htm

Obviously, it's much easier to vent adult fish than juveniles...

As for stores that separate males from females in Ottawa? Unfortunately, I don't think anyone does this.

Abedz

Mmm ... since they are sold as juvies in LFS, i guess i should buy some big quantity and keep them until they mature and then identify there sex !! is that what you guys do ?

BUT, since i can't really afford buying these guys in big quantities from LFS ... am getting them as juvies from some members here at OVAS. i should post something on soon. This way the fishes will cost me less and i'll get to buy a bigger quantity this also improves the probabilty of getting more of both genders. After maturity, i'll pick the 1M - 4F range ... and give away the rest.

What do you think .. ??

Demasonian

Sounds like a good plan!

Ratios will be very important with the zebras, less so with the labs. With the Demasoni, it's so difficult to tell them apart, that your best bet is to remove excess males when they start getting beat on or chased continuously. You could make it easier on yourself with the zebras by buying the "original" variant which has blue males and orange females.

Definitely seek fish from the community here, rather than the LFS. Much cheaper, usually better quality fish too. If it can't be sourced through the local breeding community, buy from a mail-order breeder like Spencer Jack out of Winnepeg.

Nerine

I agree, buying from the community is so much better than the LFS!

You can always get a lot of cichlids from the Giant Auction that is coming up...I've always been very pleased with the cichlids I bought there and have gotten some excellent deals
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

Rob Labonte

like someone said...the males are bigger....

but also, Ive found, with at least all mine, the females are less colorfull and have some faint vertical striping to them.

the males are much nicer looking.

I keep males and females all together and havent noticed them fight to much. I dont think you really have to worry about this with yellow labs. just buy a bunch and see how they interact.

I have 40 yellow lab now that will be for sale soon. they are only 1 inch now.