New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Cichlids with Snails?

Started by a1a2a3alex, April 12, 2010, 09:51:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a1a2a3alex

Hi,

I got a question about bottom feeders/cleanup fish with the Africian Cichlid (mine are Mbuna about 3.5" long red zebra and some other blue ones) tank.  Can I add some tropical snails in the tank to eat the left over food?  I recently switch to the new Cichlid food (Spectrum for Cichlid) and it is horrible as it sinks to the bottom when I put it in and the fish have to dive to chase after it before it gets to the bottom.  So, I'm hoping to get a bottom feeder like a cat fish or snails to clean up but I'm not too sure whether my Cichlids will nibble after them.  I recently got pleco for the window but I don't think it eats left over pellets.  Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance ...

Lex

Brent Shaver

I have a 9" pleco in my tank with my cichlids, also mbuna.  I also have 3 synodontis multipunctatus about 1 1/2" long.  They dont seem to mind the higher pH and do a pretty good job keeping the rocks and most of the sand clean.

As far as snails, everything I have read stated most snails dont like higher pH and they dont do well.  But dont take my word on this part as I am only going off what I have read.

Cbellehumeur

I know my red zebra's would eat those snails in a heart beat. I don't think snails will work. I have a cat fish....who does no clean-up, lol. And a pleco who cleans everything including leftovers.

Malyon18

Ya in my 55gal I have tried snails with my yellow labs and demasoni and let's just say they enjoyed the snack, I have always had a pleco in there with them and he is about 8-9'' and have never had any problems. I have recently also added a bushynose pleco around 1'' and they have not bothered with him at all. I find the plecos to be great for leftover food, to me they have gotten to smart and realized they don't have to do much work for food, they just wait around for feedings lol. Hope that helps
"Friends Don't Let Friends Go Plastic Reef"

a1a2a3alex

I'm currently on my 4th algae eater  >:(  I have changed my water parameters after talking to the staff at PetSmart.  It seems that the store does not boost up the PH even though in my Cichlid book says so.  So, since I'm on normal PH, I have good feeling that this one will be survive and that I can add other stuff like cat fish.  My Cichlids are very happy still even though the PH is not boosted up anymore for over 4 water changes.  I did not notice any change in colours.  Does anyone else also keep other fishes in their Cichlid tank without boosting up the PH and that it is not eaten by Cichlids?

Thx.

Lex

Quote from: Malyon18 on April 13, 2010, 10:12:32 PM
Ya in my 55gal I have tried snails with my yellow labs and demasoni and let's just say they enjoyed the snack, I have always had a pleco in there with them and he is about 8-9'' and have never had any problems. I have recently also added a bushynose pleco around 1'' and they have not bothered with him at all. I find the plecos to be great for leftover food, to me they have gotten to smart and realized they don't have to do much work for food, they just wait around for feedings lol. Hope that helps

Brent Shaver

In the beginning I didnt boost my pH as the store also had lower levels.  The fish did fine although once I started to boost the pH the colors popped and the difference was substancial.

Also my pleco does great in the higher pH and is growing like a weed.

Hope this helps

Cbellehumeur

I'm on well water so i have a higher PH...my cichlids love it and their colours are great. I found that adding pleco's from the LFS never live? Don't know why but whenever i get them off of somebody eles they always live. I never add a pleco under 3" or my guys have him dead within 2 days. I never add a pleco under 5". That's just me.

FishBuddy

Quote from: a1a2a3alex on April 12, 2010, 09:51:34 PM
Hi,

I got a question about bottom feeders/cleanup fish with the Africian Cichlid (mine are Mbuna about 3.5" long red zebra and some other blue ones) tank.  Can I add some tropical snails in the tank to eat the left over food?  I recently switch to the new Cichlid food (Spectrum for Cichlid) and it is horrible as it sinks to the bottom when I put it in and the fish have to dive to chase after it before it gets to the bottom.  So, I'm hoping to get a bottom feeder like a cat fish or snails to clean up but I'm not too sure whether my Cichlids will nibble after them.  I recently got pleco for the window but I don't think it eats left over pellets.  Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance ...

Lex

Don't worry about the food landing at the bottom of the tank.  The cichlids will hunt for them eventually by sifting the sand...  In a typical African tank, you'll often see them sift the sand.  This gives them something to do and it is their natural behavior!  I have a bunch of MTS added to the tank and they are great at aerating the sandy substrate.  I also have 2 BN plecos in the tank acting as a cleanup crew and they are great.

[li]72 gal bow: various exotic cichlids
    [/li]