New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Tropheus Moori Kasanga Pic!

Started by 328iGuy, October 09, 2005, 12:05:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

328iGuy

Snapped this quick shot this morning, they are growing like weeds!

Starting to breed as well!  :D

blueturq

kennyman

I like the looks of them. They are striking!

Thats a tang right? The mouth is quite low. What is their feeding habits?

Evan

nice, how many do you have and what size of tank.

If you have time I would like to see pics of the whole setup.

328iGuy

Quote from: "kennyman"I like the looks of them. They are striking!

Thats a tang right? The mouth is quite low. What is their feeding habits?

Yes this is a tang and as far as feeding, generally they are algae grazers and don't do well on any sort of protein diet, it causes bloat which spreads through these colonies and kills FAAAST.  So they are fed a STRICT NLS Cichlid Formula diet by myself and a lot of others as well as people using Spirulina strict diets too.

Here is another picture from the same shoot that day.

328iGuy

Quote from: "Evan"nice, how many do you have and what size of tank.

If you have time I would like to see pics of the whole setup.

Evan

I have a colony of 15 in a 55G tank with NO rockwork or anything for them to keep as a territory.  The agression in this tnak is quite minimal for Tropheus and is working well.  I had a pair spawn last week however the female swallowed the eggs after a couple of days.

Evan

do you think if there was rockwork there would be issues with aggression?

Is that about the max number you would want to put in a 55?

328iGuy

Quote from: "Evan"do you think if there was rockwork there would be issues with aggression?

Is that about the max number you would want to put in a 55?

Definitely there would be mroe agression, Tropheus are one of the most agressive towards their own species, the males will fight to the death for dominance and territory.

I would actually feel this to be the max once full grown for a 55G tank for sure, it's just a matter of stripping out extra males and keeping a good ratio in the end.

Evan

thanks,

Is there a recommended ratio of males or do you do what works for your colony?

328iGuy

Quote from: "Evan"thanks,

Is there a recommended ratio of males or do you do what works for your colony?

It is quite hard to tell if you don't buy either wild caught or adults and have them vented, however you need to keep in mind that the males are trying and wanting to breed 100% of the time which adds to the agression towards one another as well as the females.

So 1/3 less males to females I would say is a good ratio.......

Are you looking to get a colony?  What type?  Where from?

Evan

They are on my list of fish to get, but it will not happen for a year or more..  That's OK though, I have a lot to learn anyway.

I like the fish that you have as well as those at the links below.  
I have no idea if these ones are hard to get or not.  

http://www.hagblomfoto.com/kachese.htm

http://www.hagblomfoto.com/chimba.htm

I really like this one, but read soemwhere it was difficult to get.

Tropheus sp. "Ikola"

http://www.thecichlidgallery.com/article_history_tropheus.htm

pegasus

I have both the  Ikola & Kiriza  ( Kaiser & Kaiser II ) I don't know if they are bred in Ottawa but I got mine in Montreal.
There will be a large order of wild Tropheus in the next month or two for our breeders. I'll keep an eye on the Kaiser for both of you.

328iGuy

Quote from: "pegasus"I have both the  Ikola & Kiriza  ( Kaiser & Kaiser II ) I don't know if they are bred in Ottawa but I got mine in Montreal.
There will be a large order of wild Tropheus in the next month or two for our breeders. I'll keep an eye on the Kaiser for both of you.

I am interested in a Ikola Kaiser and Bemba Orange Flame colony.  

Want to sell you're colony?  :lol:

pegasus

I wanted the Kasanga from Klaus until you got them ... I had prefer to get something else so we could exchange fry later so maybe Ikola for some Kasanga?

I've seen the Bemba Orange Flame at the last 3 Montreal auctions. They usualy sold in group of 4, but also had a breeding colony of 10 that sold for $200.

I'll be calling on Ottawa breeders (not only Africans   :lol:  ) shortly to form an association, if you are interested Matt... gimme a call.

328iGuy

Quote from: "pegasus"I wanted the Kasanga from Klaus until you got them ... I had prefer to get something else so we could exchange fry later so maybe Ikola for some Kasanga?

I've seen the Bemba Orange Flame at the last 3 Montreal auctions. They usualy sold in group of 4, but also had a breeding colony of 10 that sold for $200.

I'll be calling on Ottawa breeders (not only Africans   :lol:  ) shortly to form an association, if you are interested Matt... gimme a call.

I am definitely interested......do you have any fry yet from you're Ikolas?

pegasus

Not from the Ikolas but from the Kirizas. The were sold back to the wholesaler last spring. I din't do much with the Tropheus all summer but did get a call yesterday about this big order of wild Tropheus being set up for breeders so... I'm waiting to see the list and might get back to it.

BTW.. Those Kasanga look great. :cry:

328iGuy

Quote from: "pegasus"Not from the Ikolas but from the Kirizas. The were sold back to the wholesaler last spring. I din't do much with the Tropheus all summer but did get a call yesterday about this big order of wild Tropheus being set up for breeders so... I'm waiting to see the list and might get back to it.

BTW.. Those Kasanga look great. :cry:

Well let me know what list and prices you get back..

I was just in Big Al's on Innes, what a joke they are.  Trying to sell 1" Tropheus Duboisi and Cherry Spot's for $35.99 a peice....HA!

pegasus

Petmart has beautiful duboisi for $39.99 and the C. moorii for $59.99. I have an adult male Kaiser II among my other Africans that nobody want to buy at $20... Fine with me... it's a male waiting for his turn to the harem. :)

328iGuy

Quote from: "pegasus"Petmart has beautiful duboisi for $39.99 and the C. moorii for $59.99. I have an adult male Kaiser II among my other Africans that nobody want to buy at $20... Fine with me... it's a male waiting for his turn to the harem. :)

I noticed even at Super Pet on Merivale they are trying to sell C. Moori around 2.5" -3" for $59.99 HA!....

Sue

- note that the BA and superpet prices on tropheus are fairly normal  RETAIL tropheus prices.  Sometimes they are a bit cheaper, but it all depends how much the breeder/wholesaler is charging.

ps..mountie99 you still interested in that deal on the baby duboisi?

328iGuy

Quote from: "Sue"- note that the BA and superpet prices on tropheus are fairly normal  RETAIL tropheus prices.  Sometimes they are a bit cheaper, but it all depends how much the breeder/wholesaler is charging.

ps..mountie99 you still interested in that deal on the baby duboisi?

Sue

You have Tropheus for sale?  How many and how much?

Actually no the prices Big Al's are charging you can buy wild caught adults from CRLCA, its far above retail pricing.  I know other retailers selling Tropheus F1/G1 for $10-$15/fish.  They are trying to rob the public.

pegasus

Did I say Petmart?... sorry it was SuperPet who had duboisi at $39.99 while BA Kanata had them at $18. I guess the breeder/whosaler forced SupetPet to buy at gun point, or are we ask to pay for their new relocation?  :roll:

kennyman

"I know other retailers selling Tropheus F1/G1 for $10-$15/fish."

The only people I see selling quallity fish that cheep are the mailorder houses in TO. I bought my cichlids from Superpet Kanata at buy 2 get one free So I only paid about double what they are worth insted of triple. They were sold as f1 this spring. I noticed there are some fry back in that tank listed at 3 for $78 or something like that! Just about the right size for local breeders to have broght back in ;)  I would be suprised to see those fish being reordered from Czechoslovakia (where I was told they were special ordered from) If they were even f1 to start with.

I agree that we the public are getting riped, but I don't think the big All's are the ones doing the deed. I also recognise that local stores have costs to recoup for bringing these fish in and keeping them here. Id expect to see that reflected in the price. But $80 for three cichlid fry? c'mon wheres the sence in that?