New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Cobalt Blue fry

Started by 1macuser, September 01, 2012, 10:37:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1macuser

As I was doing my regular maintenance and installing Hydor Koralia circulation pumps and Smartwave
I noticed that I have a fry of Cobalt Blues :) Looking forward to see them grow and see how many there actually are.

exv152

Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

exv152

Nice. Are you going to separate them from the adults?
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

1macuser

Right now they seem to be doing well and have lots of nooks and crannies to hide and seem to be doing real well...I count 3 that have made it and they are 1/2 inch in size.
But it sure looks like I will have to go out and get another tank for future spannings.

limmer

The fry look good. 
You might end up with MTS(Multiple Tank Syndrome).
That's what happened to me.

1macuser

Thanks. I've been doing some reading on taking care of the fry to ensure the survival but any additional info would be greatly appreciated.

Yes I sure can see MTS in my future as from what I've read once they start breeding it could happen fairly often lol

bettabreeder

Very cool!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

exv152

Quote from: 1macuser on September 02, 2012, 03:15:32 PM
Thanks. I've been doing some reading on taking care of the fry to ensure the survival but any additional info would be greatly appreciated.

Yes I sure can see MTS in my future as from what I've read once they start breeding it could happen fairly often lol

I'd make sure the fry are definitely getting food and not being terrorized by the older fish, because if they are, the best thing to do is move the adults and keep the fry in the same tank where they were born. If that's possible. Or use a divider.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

1macuser

Thanks for the info but unfortunately moving the adults or the fry is next to impossible due to all the rocks in the tank or adding a divider. The fry is doing well and are not being terrorized by the adults. I've done a lot of research and know what to look for the next time around and will move the female to another tank or extract the fry and house in a smaller tank. Right now I'm ensuring that they are feed twice daily so that they are not terrorized.

1macuser

Looks like another fry of blue cobalts on its way. Will try to catch and strip to save more of the the fry this time but will not over do it to stress out the female.

Blackstitch

That's exactly what happened to me a few months ago now. I noticed that one of my cobalts was holding, and sure enough, I ended up with cobalt blue fry. The female ended up dying due to a couple of things. I've ended up with around ten babies, and I intend on keeping around two or three.