New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Small Africans in a 20 long? (Neolamprologus similis or similar)

Started by 76brian, October 02, 2012, 12:16:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

76brian

So, since I failed at the planted paludarium, I'm going to be looking at picking up a 40/50 gallon to replace it, it will be full aqua and planted (i'll try a proper paludarium later). So, I'll move the plants from my sand bottom 20 long into that, and since the 20 is almost fully established now, I'm starting to think about how I want to stock it.

It's already got sand, so I was thinking on a species specific setup for small africans. Neolamprologus similis or something similar. I read that a male of this species with several females can be kept in a 20 gallon with no problem... is this correct?

If so, are there other species to choose from that will fit with the same requirements? Since my water is naturally pretty hard and has a high PH, I think it will be a good choice. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

76brian

Pardon my relative newbie-ism, further research indicates there's a number of species I can keep in this tank.

Until earlier today I thought Africans needed a minimum of 50 gallons. But these shell dwellers look cool, anyone else in the club keeping them? Looks like I can go with 2 or 3 pairs, but not sure what species to add first.

sas

There used to be quite a few members that kept and bred shell dwellers, not sure if there are anyone still here though.
Watch what plants you use since most Africans are diggers and anything planted will end up floating eventually.
Rocks, sand and shells are these guys friends.
I'm by no means an expert, but I tried to buck the system and keep plants with Africans and about the only plants that survived and didn't need to be constantly replanted were annubias, java fern, java moss and african fern(Bolbitis heudelotii). The reason being these plants could be wedged between rocks,tied to driftwood, or just left to sit on the substrate.

Check out this,

http://ovas.ca/forum/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=493

And this,

http://ovas.ca/forum/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=302

Not shell dwellers but shows you what is possible.

76brian

Those are great looking tanks! Way bigger than what I have to work with, but it's inspiring :) I don't plan on having any plants (or driftwood) in this one, I'll be moving it all to another tank. If I have some spare java fern to tie to a rock it might not be a bad idea though.

I've got plenty of sand and rocks... will need to find some shells somewhere, but I don't remember seeing any the right size in local shops. Does anyone know where to get them?

Also I have no idea what species are good to keep together in this size tank... or what order to add them in... or how many I can keep... So many questions lol

limmer

sas

Sometimes Wally Mart has shells. They're in the home decoration area or sometimes in the aisle that has the dried stuff to put in glassware.

76brian

Yeah someone sent me a PM and suggested I check Michael's. I did and the only options they had were bags of shells. Small for $19 or bigger for $29.

Lots of shells in them but very few I can use. Maybe 2 or 3 usable ones per bag... as a last resort I'll keep it in mind. I'll check Walmart and the Dollar store too, thanks!

Blackstitch

I currently have 4 cynotilapias cyno "cobue" and two of another kind, can't remember the name of it, in a 25 long gallon. They seem to get along well. One of my cynotilapias started to colour up beautifully a couple of months back and increases constantly. Both species don't get beyond 3-4 inches when matured. Just another suggestion when you're looking at cichlids for a small tank

sylros

I was curious about your choice of fish, and was checking out this link: http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/neolamprologus-similis/

It names a couple more that you can have with it. Interesting fish and I always thought that the PH would need to be drastically altered to have cichlids.

Anyway, they talk about the shells and mentionned escargots. Well if you like them, it would probably cost you less to have an entree at some french restaurant, just keep the shells! Don`t they sell escargot in shells in super markets...also the fish market would have those. They are kinda big and you`ll need quite a few, by the looks of it. I happen to have shells in my craft room, I`ll take a look as I won`t use them. Did you check big al`s at the front desk, there are bins full of shells. Too bad we don`t live near the ocean. lol

76brian

The similis is on my list ;D

I have no idea how big escargot snails are, I've never had them... but yeah I read that too. I have since received a couple of PM's on here for shells, so I think I'm pretty well set up, thanks though!

Here are the species I'm looking into if anyones interested.

Lamprologus ocellatus (Ocellated Shell-dweller)
Lamprologus brevis
Neolamprologus similis
Neolamprologus multifasciatus (Multis)
Lamprologus meleagris-stappersi (Pearly Ocellatus)
Neolamprologus pulcher (Daffodil Cichlid)
neolamprologus brichardi (Fairy Cichlid)

From what I can gather, some of these spawn in shells, some of them in rocks, some of them in both. Obviously I can't have all of them, but I'm thinking maybe pick two that I like that are somewhat compatible... though maybe a 20 long is too small for this? If I need to stick to one species, I really like the pearly ocellatus.

robt18

That'll be the hardest one to find :P

One more that'll fit into that group is the neolamprologus temporalis, another shell dweller.

You may want to do a group of one of the mid swimmers and a group of shellies to avoid territory issues, in which case I would go with (pick your shellie) and Neolamp pulcher. They get a little more colour than the brichardi and are a little more exciting to get a hold of!

Elfin

I use to have Lamprologus brevis kept 5 in a 20 gallon long...very cool and like to switch shells every so often..so they like alot of shells