New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

The epic discus project

Started by fischkopp, January 31, 2012, 12:50:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fischkopp

Thanks for the comments!

Yes, the water change may seem excessive, but I was keeping keeping one discus per gallon, so I thought it would be just right. I drained the tank down to the bottom,  leaving just enough water to cover the fish that was laying on the side by that time. Flatfish. :) Then I filled it back up straight from the tap. The temperature was adjusted to be the same as the tank beforehand, maybe a tad warmer, that's fine. I was keeping them at 30 deg Celsius. I was priming the water while the tank filled up. The fish was alright with that, but they do get a little nervous when they lay flat on the side, so you want to make sure that you don't bang to much against the glass.

I tried to do 3-4 feedings per day, one big one in the morning, one after I come back from work, and one at night. During the weekends, when I was around, they also got a meal around noon. Once they moved to the 75gal sump I also used an auto feeder to feed while I am away, but I didn't want to risk this on the small tank. The water changes came usually 30 min to an hour after the the feedings to remove uneaten food and the other dirt.

The food itself was mainly flakes, pellets, and frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp, the latter two more as a treat. I chose not to use beef heart mixtures. Partially, because I never found the time to make it, because I was afraid of more pollution, and because it's the wrong kind of protein. I understand why others use it, but it isn't for me. I believe I went through an 5 lb bucket of flakes though in less than 9 month.
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

fischkopp

Overflow

It was late March when we had moved the 180 on the stand. During spring and summer I was occupied with other things, which left me little time to proceed on the project. The little time that I put into it, after doing the water change, was spend on planning the overflow. I wanted to make sure that it would not create any noise; the tank sits in the dining room and nothing would be more distracting than constant splurging.

So I spend some time browsing the web and quickly found out that my initial idea of using two upwards pointing elbows would not be the best idea. Many people seemed to use flavours of Durso-style overflow setups, but not everybody could eliminate the noise completely. Finally, I stumbled upon the BeanAnimal-style overflow that sounded quite promising. The key element of his approach is that one return would run at full siphon, allowing more water to fall down the sump without having any air trapped in the flow since it is the cause for splurging noise.

Since my tank was already drilled and I wasn't keen on having a coast-to-cost overflow, I adapted the beananimal overflow to my system. After much thinking I chose to have an overflow box in the top right corner of the tank. It would house the full siphon overflow as well as the open channel overflow that would take care of the excess water. On the left side I would install an elbow above the water level to act as emergency overflow. The remaining hole would be used as return.

I had never worked with acrylic before, so I went to Canus Plastics to have them build it for me. I took my time to get all measurements and box dimensions right, especially those that would impact the water level in the tank. I did not want to end up seeing the water line later on, it should disappear behind the trim. I had even build a little mock-up before handing the dimensions over to the guys at Canus. Awesome guys, they knew right away that they were building an overflow box, and they did a good job with it. I went with black, so that it would merge with the background.

I did try to keep the box as small as possible, so that it wouldn't be too intrusive. But what I missed was the fact that my tank is euro-braced, and the bracing stretches almost across he whole width of the box. This made the installation a bit difficult, and it's not really accessible anymore. I have to use chopsticks. In the future I will keep this in mind and make it a little bigger.

By the time I had this figured out and the box ready it was mid September. I also spend a lot of time in various hardware stores to find all the parts I would need for the plumbing. More on that later, but you get a glimpse of it in the last pic that shows the discus at that time. Most of them really took off in the 75gal over the summer. I also added a few Blue Diamonds to the group.

Adapting the "beananimal-style" overflow.

(Ueber)Planning the overflow box.

Return and emergency overflow.

Overflow box, with returns.

Using egg-crate to as dirt-guard.

Meanwhile, the discus grew.

my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

fischkopp

It takes quite some time to put up these threads. I meant to add posts for a few more things in the setup: the sump, the plumbing (automatic water change), the equipment, the controller, CO2, custom 8-channel dimmable light, ... I took plenty of pictures along the way. What can I say, life got busy, so I never found the time for it.

Meanwhile the tank was running for about two years as planted discus tank. Even though it had it's share of issues it was doing quite ok for the most part. Below are two quick shots of the tank that I have taken at different times. Unfortunately I had to take the whole system down in the summer because I moved to a new place.

The good new is: I am in the progress of setting it up again. As a different tank. But with pretty much the same equipment, maybe a bit simpler though. Stay tuned.

Full tank shots.

my fish suck

sas

That was an absolutely gorgeous tank! Wow
Can't wait to see what you do next.
Any hints on livestock?

charlie

I had the opportunity to see this tank in it`s former scape, both in the good times & bad times.
The bells and whistles rivals any Marine set up bar none.
Anxiously awaiting for it`s new glory.
Errol

exv152

I be interested in hearing what your plan is for substrate, that is, if your planning to go planted again. There are so many options now available to hobbyists in terms of nutrient rich substrates.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

bettabreeder

Whooooooa! Stunning tank and those disuc pop! Amazing work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Herstead

That is a gorgeous tank!

- Jonathan
Current Set-Up: Mixed Reef 250g DT + 100g in Sump
Inhabitants: 2 Snowflake Clowns, 8 Bimac Anthias, 2 Mandarin Dragonets, Vigratus Rabbit Fish, Flame Angel, Purple Chromis, Atlantic Blue Tang, Sailfin Tang and lots of inverts.
Next Step: Set up controller and ATO. Really need to do this.

fischkopp

Thanks folks!

This time around the tank isn't going to be planted. So I may add some here and there. It's more of a big fish setup, and will house some of my bigger suckers and a group of geophagus.

I am using the same substrate, silica pool filter sand.
my fish suck

BSmith

I love it.  What did you do with the Discus when you moved?

fischkopp

Thanks! I still have most of the discus. A friend took care of them for me while I got my new place ready. They are now in my fish room swimming in an pretty unexciting, yet practical 75gal bare bottom. Eventually I like to build a setup that's geared towards breeding. But I need this big tank up and running first to free up some tank space. :)
my fish suck

Nyx

Wow, Robert, your tank was positively stunning, plants, fish, the whole thing! Extremely well done!  :)
9G planted Edge w/ pure strain Endler's livebearers

fischkopp

my fish suck

ajm1961

WHOA!
That is one stunning tank! Now I know what I want for Christmas! Well maybe next year's Christmas...

Well done Robert - thanks for sharing and please keep us updated with more photos!!
SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!

SlyAngel

I guess you still believe in Santa Claus my dear Andre... :)

Beautiful tank Robert.........very colorful....love it.
I share two angel fish tanks - both of which my hubby takes care of! What's not to like?