New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

New to Ova, Gatineau / Ottawa Area

Started by Ruber, July 12, 2014, 04:02:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruber

Hi everyone,

My Name is Mike , I'm from Gatineau

I have been getting in the hobby for around a year now,  Started with a free 46G tank that was given to me, stripped of all accesories,  Only the tank.   So slowly added a gravel, Filter , heater , plants , Lighting and fish / Shrimp.

Then I turned around and bought 2 x Fluval floras , 20G , 10G tank.

Again just so im clear im new to the hobby lol ,   Been reading like crazy about cycles  , algae and so on.

This is my basement setup at the moment

My 46G tank now has green water and I tried everything,  Lights out now for 2 days,  I bought a UV steriliser so once that comes in i'll give it a try.

Ruber

fischkopp

Hi Mike, nice to meet you. Welcome to OVAS! You started like most of us, one tank, then two, and three, and then whatever fits into the basement ... :P

Don't get to crazy about algae, you will have it in every aquarium. Green algae happens mostly due to nutrient imbalance, often its said to b e caused buy ammonia. Check your filter, do more, larger water changes, and if you add nutrients, cut that down. That will most likely take care of the green water.

Happy fishkeeping!
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

sas

Ruber

Hi and thanks for the help.  I cut down on lighting and also food I would give them for a full week.    green water has almost all vanished,   still isn't crystal clear but way better, 

Now I do have way to many aquariums,  two of my friends gave me 10G's aquariums too this week,   they where not using them anymore. 

So now I have 1X46G  1X20G , 2X fluval Florals and 3X 10G Identical ones.

So I was thinking of making nice stands in the basement,  found a DIY online with 2X4's .   already figured out the set it up in my basement.     46G main tank.    2 fluvals for plant growth.    1 10G for fry's  ( Already have a couple baby guppies in a breader net)   and 2 of my ghost shrimps have eggs, Bur I really want to either get pumpkin shrimps and cherry shrimps for the 2 other 10G tanks.

So now I need to find a Cheap RO Unit in Ottawa , buy my sponge filters,  buy substact for the shrimp.   then figure out what type of shrimp I want to bread 100%. lol

I also bought a UV filter with a power head on the net on the 12th to try and fix my green water issues but as of yesterday its stuck getting cleared.   God I hate UPS.

07/16/2014    20:57   The package is awaiting clearing agency review. / The package is at the clearing agency awaiting final release.
07/16/2014    20:57   The package is awaiting clearing agency review. / Your package was released by the clearing

Fun times!
This hobbie is so fun but the initial cost is High :)   But at Least I am enjoying it a lot.